Gp wants £55 for info from welfare rights

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 29. Dec 2009, 19:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi welfare rights rang to say my gp wants 55 pounds from them for my information I’m disgusted as these people act as advocates to help us and they are not a profit making organization. My hospital has given info for free i just hope the evidence will be enough that’s all i need. Anyone else had this? Joanne
Joanne

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joanne

That is really terrible. You want to show them up.

I really hope that you get the help you need.

Love Trish xxx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    would a letter be a good idea to the practice manager to explain situation i havent heard of this happening to anyone else so i dont know how to approach this and i need as much evidance as i can to make my case stronger joanne
    Joanne
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    This sounds awful, its not as if a GP is poorly paid, and its not as if its for an expensive holiday or anything! I have been told that they can charge for this sort of thing, but I've never come across it myself. I suppose I'm lucky, well, so far! :shock: Love Sue
  • suncatcher
    Options
    My gp is all money im not entirly surprised i just hoped anyway my brother in law is looking at my paper work from welfare rights. he is manager of disbuility rights and goes to tribunals all the time. he lives in nottingham and i only see him few times a year. while he is over for christmas he said he would look at it. He carnt do much but has fair idea about things. joanne
    Joanne
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    This may help as you can request a copy of your records under the Data Protection Act 1998:

To provide copies of patient health records the maximum costs are:-
    1. Health records held totally on computer: up to a maximum £10 charge.
    2.Health records held in part on computer and in part manually: up to a maximum £50 charge.
    3. Health records held totally manually: up to a maximum £50 charge.

All these maximum charges include postage and packaging costs.

Remember these are the maximum costs and any charges for access requests should not be seen to make a financial gain.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4035194.pdf
    Firstly read through ALL the information given on the link above.

The above costs given may have increased, but if correct and your GPs records are held on computer then the maximum fee is possibly £10.

You could, in writing, ask the Practice Manager for a full breakdown of their costs for your request and if the records are held on computer, as it appears that they have simply quoted the maximum without checking on the information requested or how it is held.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • suncatcher
    Options
    thanks for that living legend.I will check with the practice manager. from joanne
    Joanne
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I was told I would be charged by G.P if I needed to take methotrexate on a plane but if I requested this info from hospital I wouldn't be charged at all. I would just need to give a week or 2 notice before going