Sore and hurting .... side effects of Christmas!

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 29. Dec 2009, 08:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI all,

just wondered how many of us are suffering from the rarely understood side effect of Christmas ..... aches and pains that are unseen but which can make us feel like crawling away and hiding? :roll:

I never seemed to stop on Christmas eve or Christmas day, with shopping to do, things to get ready, meals to cook etc and that was even having paced things out and got hubby to do lots to help too.

Throw in an unexpected 150 mile round trip in the car today :shock: and I am really feeling it! Doesn't help that I daren't take the stronger co-codamols when I am driving, which is what makes me hurt so much!

Mind you ..... I did find that a strong coffee works wonders with the codeine to help me along the way :wink::wink::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Right, will take my aching ribs, stiff legs, sore and stiff shoulders and wonky wrists off to the 'cafe' for a hefty slice of Chocolate cake :D which will no doubt be the best cure :wink::lol::lol:

hope you are all faring better than we are here :wink:

hugs to all,
Wonky

Comments

• lucymum
    lucymum Member Posts: 113
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi I must say I noticed today that my 7 year old Lucy was suffering a little more! What with opening the paper on gifts and goin out in the cold all her fingers wrists toes and ankles were swolen and sore and she has found holding anything today hard!!!

Am sorry you feel so bad!!! I hope you feel bette soon!!! x x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    thanks !

sorry Lucy is struggling today - it must be hard for the little ones to understand, at least we can put into words how we feel and reason out why we feel how we do.

I bet it is hard on you seeing her struggle too .... so I'm sending you a big hug (((((())))))))). I know when I am sore my hubby finds it hard to watch me struggling.

here's a hug for Lucy too ((((( ))))) and I hope that she feels better after a rest.
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Hi Wonky

Sorry to hear your suffering at the moment. I think all the added stress about your arrangements, on top of everything else, will have made things worse.

I had to come off the MTX for two weeks before Christmas - perfect timing :roll: It's only the last couple of days I've really noticed that I'm NOT taking it, and I really never expected to say this, but I'm so looking forward to starting it again on Sunday!!!! OH has been brilliant, washing up, shopping, and generally running around like a headless chicken, but there's always heaps to do, isn't there? I think walking the dogs in the snow hasn't helped either - can't wait for the big thaw!!

Hope you feel better soon.
    Lynn xxxxx

boy I know what you mean on both counts :wink:

'walking' has been my default position until today, as I was not taking the car out on the skating rink that is our road :shock: so I have been sliding everywhere with my trusty wellies and walking pole. As for walking dogs in this - crazy ..... she is like a puppy running everywhere, and I am left to follow behind :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I too have felt the relief of having the MTX after a long layoff - that is when we really come to appreciate the effectiveness of what we take :wink:

hope you soon feel the benefit. & roll on the big thaw :D:D:D:D:D
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, sorry you are feeling so sore Wonky, I haven't been outside the house for a few days, I am so accident prone that I would probably fall over, now we have pouring rain on top of ice and it is freezing tonight.

Malcolm cooked most of the christmas dinner but I am very achy and sore nevertheless, I am relaxing now before the new year, hope you soon feel better love Jaspercatxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Wonky
    Sorry to hear your feeling so bad.......I'm not great either.....Peter always does the Christmas Lunch but being a man....who does a lot of the preparation and washing up etc....LOL Me. and then we had a boxingday party at our house {it was our turn} his extended family...brothers/sisters/inlaws/nieces/nephews/and of course our own.....once again he did a lot of the cooking but I am shatterd and sore.....Come home from church this morning and that is it I've collapsed. Its as little as possible that will get done between now and New Years Eve.
    There is no such thing as pacing yourself at Christmas is there?
    I couldnt change my tablets LOL paracetamol and thats it.....took a couple of ibroprufon now and again
    Take care and relax or try to
    Love
    Hileena
  • lucymum
    lucymum Member Posts: 113
    Options
    thanks wonky,
    I'm lucky with Lucy she is a very strong little girl andis happy to get on with it!!! As I have a disability too, and arthritus as a secondry problem in my knee, she is so used to seeing me getting on with life and js dealing wi th pain that she just follows suit!!!
    Weboth send you h toand hope you feel beter come the new year!!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've had a quieter Christmas than we anticipated! Last Sunday we where going to Oxford to see some family and exchange presents, lovely, I'd made a huge trifle to take, my sister had a huge cassarole that she was takeing; well, of course we woke up to 5" snow, and had to call it off, but we thought we would go on the Wednesday before Wednesday, the Tuesday was not too bad here, but in Hampshire, where my sister comes from the weather turned to snow and ice!!! Not funny, her friend across the road fell and has a fractured skull, with a small bleed into the brain. She's quite poorly, in hospital, but the neurologist thinks that no lasting damage has been done, I hope hes right. So this year Christmas has been a bit odd for us with lots of false starts and worries!

Never mind, we hope to get together on Wednesday, so a weather warning for anyone living in the Oxford area!

I'm so sorry to hear about little Lucy's pains, but hope they don't last too long. Sounds as if she will grow up a strong and hardy young lady, who will be an example to everyone! :wink:
    Love Sue xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

Hopefully you are now feeling a bit less ached out and stressed? Its not always an easy time of year and you had so many changes of plan to contend with.

I hope you, your Husband and Little-legs now have a nice few days to make up for it all. He said could he come and play with her cus he isn't loved......... My dogs decided my 'best' present would be to get up on a day that visitors wee coming and the shops are closed to do a massive fridge raid :shock: He needs some love and sadly I seem fresh out of it :wink::lol::lol::lol: Slurps and ((( ))) Cris and the disgraced him :lol: xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    thanks everyone - I see I am def not on my own :wink:

We had a really quiet day yesterday - partly cos we were iced in, as even the most sure-footed people on the close were having to skate most precariously to get to the end of the close :shock: :lol::lol:

Hubby managed to 'slide' littlelegs around the block, then came back and attacked the pavements with a shovel :shock: :shock: and cleared the whole of the pavement to the main road :shock: :shock: took him nearly 3 hours but at least everyone can get out now :D:D

I never got out of my PJ's all day :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    but I am going to today ....... going to hit the sales (to see if I can resist all the bargains about of course :wink: ) and then we treated ourselves to a new board game, so will be spending the rest of the afternoon rustling sheep :!: (sorry cris - not yours - honest :wink: ) it's a wallace & gromit game

Cris - tell slipperboy he is ok to come here as long as he realises that fridges are for PEOPLE not dogs .... and that he would have to be retrained in the art of waiting for food :shock: :lol::wink: which littlelegs is now very good at.

hope everyone is taking things easy now, and not overdoing it.

happy hugs to all ((((((((((((())))))))))))))))
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi all!
    Yes, Christmas has been exhausting! A lot of stress was seeing all the peeps who wanted to know how I was doing after my op & having to show them my party trick of having two wonky legs!! Whilst trying to be all Christmassy & jolly!
    My son & I did the full dinner on the day - he did all the heavy & bendy bits & I sat on perching stool & peeled, chopped & advised - we were very proud of ourselves too as was delicious!
    Boxing Day was visiting partners family which was lovely but very crowde & had to shift & stumble about a lot. Was aching so much when home had to go straight to bed.
    Last night my best mates traditional get together & they got WII game out & felt so useless as really couldn't move about like everyone else.
    Now, today had the dreaded ESA medical this morning - doc was nice but will just have to wait & see about decision.
    Love Pennie X
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi Wonky

Well you are definately not alone and hope you feel better soon.
    My joints are acting up and I am feeling a bit dissapointed because I had an intra muscular steroid injection on 16th Dec, not because of joint pain (as they were reasonable then) but because of the terrible RA fatigue.) and I thought Whopee I will feel great for a month or two. Now I should not complain because the fatigue has lifted, but since boxing day night my joints have really acted up, not been able to sleep properly for the pain and I am hobbling around today.

Planned a quite christmas, sister and her hubby came around Christmas Eve night, just to deliver presents, have a chat and cup of tea etc. Christmas day was to be just hubby and I, but myMum and her partner who were supposed to travel four hours to my brothers home on Christmas Eve couldnt go due to the bad weather so I had Mum and her partner unexpectedly for Xmas lunch, I did enjoy having them and they were no bother. Boxing day we travelled a couple of hours each way to our daughters home which again i really enjoyed. i was quite organised for Xmas managed to get all my xmas food delivered by our local supermarket. Did most of my Xmas shopping online, and apart from a Rheum appt on 21st and a chiropody appt on 22nd, havent been out much in the cold weather (just in and out of the car when I went to my daughters home) so I really dont know what has caused this flare up,

hope you feel better soon

lizzie