hot waterbottle

Options
lucymum
lucymum Member Posts: 113
edited 28. Dec 2009, 03:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi this may sound like a silly question, but I was wondering if hot water bottles help with joint pain? My little girl had JIA and her hands especially become very swolen and sore! She recieved a hot water bottle for christmas, ina teddy case, and I was wonering if it would help me to give it toher to hold in bed or during the day to reduce tenderness??
Does anyone else feel this helps??

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have been using my wheat bag tonight to help me, and I find that it helps to loosen my tight muscles when they really hurt.

If my hands are swollen and aching I often find that heat makes them worse, but there are times when the heat does help them - it really does depend so I would say that if you try it then if it doesn't work you will soon know. If heat makes them worse then cold water often helps my wrists when they feel like they are 'burning'

I find that wearing really warm gloves helps me not to get so much hand pain - if I let my hands get cold then it is hard to warm them up again.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hello

Heat helps me very much with my pain. I find my heated wheatbag most comforting. Sometimes if the pain is in many places, just cuddling the wheatbag helps! Hotwater bottles are good too, but out of the two I find the wheatbag works better for me. I can wrap it around my hands or my knee for instance. You cannot do that with a hotwater bottle but they are comforting too.

A wheatbag may be too hot to begin with for your daughter, should you use one of them but after a while it would be ok. I think your daughter would love to cuddle the teddy hotwater bottle and as long as the top was on tight and it was not too hot it would be fine for her.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I have RA and cold weather really hurts my hands, I bought a wheat bag in the shape of a cat, it seems to help me, sometimes just cuddling it gives me a boost, hope your little girl gets some help with her hot water bottle love Jaspercatxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes heat helps me....I love my wheat bags.......I remember seeing a wheat/lavender {not sure}dog for kids and you just put it on the radiator and warmed it......it wasnt specifically for arthur but I'm sure would help her.
    In answer to your question.,.....no its not a silly question and yes its certainly worth a try

Love

Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    think if having flare up does not help as there is enough heat in joints but if it any other pain then yes wheat bag great help stops muscles going into spasum so listen to her or just feel how hot her hands r u will know when she needs to try it hope it helps
    val
  • lucymum
    lucymum Member Posts: 113
    Options
    thanks to everyone for all the advice. I will look into wheat bags, nything to help her!!!! We have some special gel that u can put in ho water or the fridge which are good, so wll try boh heat and cold.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, My physio recommends heat for my oa pain, as long as it is wrapped up and dosn't burn the skin. I have done that, when the pain is really bad, but that was my fault, for finding a really hot bottle numbed the pain! :roll: Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lucymum,

Hope Lucy is feeling a bit less in pain now? I use hot water bottles a lot, too much in my feet's case, and find them very beneficial. I don't know if cold is cus I have very low tolerance to cold so can't bring my self to use it. I hope you can find something to help her. Take care Cris
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi, i have OA of the spine and yes i use a hot water bottle behind my back whilst sitting to help ease the pain.

This may sound silly but i also have a vibrating foot massager that i have also place behind my back which relaxes the muscles and eases the pain. Not sure if something like that would help hands or not? Maybe someone else could answer that for you?

Carol
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Lucymum

In T J Hughes (I think they have a web site) I bought a wheaty bag in the shape of a teddy bear. He's cute and sits up in all sorts of different ways. And he is cuddly and soft to hold. They use to have other animals too. Hot water bottles, when filled, are quite heavy

You could try contacting them to see if they still have them. They are not expensive and mine was £9 I think.

Joy