Steroids

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 30. Dec 2009, 07:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I would love to know if anyone else has noticed that when you are on steroids, if there are colds and flu around or tummy bugs, anything like that, you never seem to catch them from anyone.

I always thought that the immune system was weakened by the MTX and was expected to have more instances of colds and chest infections about this time of the year.

I can remember when I was always very poorly at Christmas with a Chest Infection.

I don't get them so often now. Is it the steroids that I'm on
between 2 1/2 and 5 mg a day.

Joy

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Joy, I think the opposite, have been on steroids since August and had 4 chest infections. My doc said, though, that people on steroids tended to do better and recover quicker than those who aren't. Though I must say this is the first christmas in ages when I haven't been ill.
    S
  • joyful164
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    hi Joy, I think the opposite, have been on steroids since August and had 4 chest infections. My doc said, though, that people on steroids tended to do better and recover quicker than those who aren't. Though I must say this is the first christmas in ages when I haven't been ill.
    S

I think the test will come in he next few days because my daughter in law Sheryl came over for the family party and she was in a terrible state. Should have been in bed really. So if I do not catch her cold, then my question will be answered.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    joyful164 wrote:
    sally36 wrote:
    S

I think the test will come in he next few days because my daughter in law Sheryl came over for the family party and she was in a terrible state. Should have been in bed really. So if I do not catch her cold, then my question will be answered.

fingers crossed then!
    x
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I started taking steroids in May - after failing in Mtx, Sulph, Leflun. Started at 10mg - now down to 7mg daily. I also have had 4 depomedrone injections this year.

Touch wood I had done well health wise ( apart from Arthritis that is :x ) then in August I took a cold, ended up lasting 10 weeks! Had 3 courses of antibiotics, so went from chest infection, ear infection then sinus infection - on top of that had cold sores in both nostrils - I was a picture!!! :shock: Finally shook it off in October and have been fine since.

It has been quite good going considering all the bugs that have been going around in work and school. Kids have managed to avoid them all so far too. I always thought if you were on steroids you were at greater risk of catching everything that was going round, but really not sure as apart from cold that lastest forever I have had nothing else this year apart from aches and pains of RA. :lol:
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    I havent had a cold this year. i'm currently on 25mg a day of pred. there are 3 memebers of my family with a cold at the moment but i havent even had a sniffle.
    I have also had the flu jab so maybe that might have somehing to do with it??
  • joyful164
    Options
    Hi

Sounds a bit like me.
    I'm back down to a care taker dose of 2.5 mg a day. I go up to 5 mg if my legs and arms start hurting but otherwise. OK

Joy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed over the years that I don't get the usual office and family colds and bugs. OH says I've got so many drugs running round inside that it frightens 'em off! Mind you, if I do go down with something, it's always a cracker..........and back up to 30mg a day for the duration.

I've been on 5mg a day for a year now, can't get below that and I need to. Now on MTX and hoping that kicks in soon.

Annie