Humira looming!

dolittle
dolittle Member Posts: 240
edited 5. Jan 2010, 05:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello eveyone,
I’ve just re-invented myself! I used to be Jeannie2, (her of the ditties) but there seems to be several on the site and my password wasn’t functioning. Haven’t been around for several months – been to hell and back (but missed the earlier bus back!).

Been in the dumps and didn’t want to load my whinges on to anyone – I’m the type who’ll creep into a corner and rant in silence. Anyway, here I am … may I join you again?

Am after some advice. I’ve finally got Humira and I’m terrified! Can anyone reassure me, tell me what to look out for so far a side effects go; vv how long do I put up with things before I toddle along and tell the GP/rheumy? (even via a personal message) :?

Would be grateful for any help.

Do

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Welcome back to the forum.Humira has been a lifeline for me and really sorted out the pain from my first injection, particularly my right shoulder and right wrist which only give me a tiny pain now.Compared to what it used to be it is heaven.
    A nurse will help you with you with the first injection and more if you want.You can inject in stomach fat or thigh but I have never been brave enough for thigh so alternate left side and right side stomach.
    I hope it helps you as mch as it did me but doesnt work for everyone.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Like others have said, Humira has been a godsend for me. It, plus other meds, put me into a 6-8 month clinical remission.

Don't let the side-effects scare you - it's just like any other drug.

Good luck!
  • dolittle
    Hey, thanks for replying ... have been busy scheduling my jabs vv deliveries - don't want to end up with a whole fridge full! What does one do if there is a power cut? My husband's contribution was "panic!".

You've given me a bit of courage - I go for the first one on Monday ... I did have myself in intensive care, hitched up to drips, with the crash machine on stand-by, until I read your encouraging words.

Will let you know which hedges I've jumped over!! and thanks again for your support.

HAPPPY NEW YEAR!
  • dolittle
    Did my first Humira injection yesterday! Where do I collect my medal?? Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Was surprised that I had to sign a 'Consent Form'. Was in a 'fog' and didn't really have time to read it. Has anyone else signed one ... did they give you a copy? I signed it because I've got nowhere else to go.

Am still here this morning and praying that this will be my lifeline. Thanks to those who gave me moral support - think I've got my head round it now.
    Do (was Jeannie 2)
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    I think I remember signing a consent form... I think it was because I was doing my own injections and I was agreeing that I was comfortable with doing them and that I was comfortable with the drug.

Congratulations! I hope you get a good response from the Humira. Like I said, it has been an amazing drug for me.