Going to see my GP

Options
sarahpeps
sarahpeps Member Posts: 13
edited 28. Dec 2009, 19:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, hope you've all had good christmases.
I have decided enough is enough and Im going to see my gp this week. Ive had OA for nearly 10 years (Im 41) and its getting worse again. I had to miss the traditional boxing day family walk as my knee was so painful. My fingers are agony and I have splints back on my wrists.
My gp has (over the past) given me co codamol and capascin cream, Ive also had cortisoid jabs in my fingers which didnt help. Ive noticed on here people talking about a lot of other meds so I think its time I asked for something else to help with the pain.
Could those of you with OA let me know what meds you take? How they help and what you'd suggest I say to my gp who just tends to dish out temporary pain killers to me.
Thanks

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I have OA in my hands, neck and spine and quite a few other joints! :shock: I take tramadol slow release and amatriptilyne at night. They do help a bit. The only thing is with all pain killers, some work well for some people but not for others, so what works for me, may not work for you. Your GP may try you on different things until you find what works best for you. Heat helps me, So I put a heat pad on when its really bad. Some people prefer ice. Try those out, they may help you! Love Sue.
  • cymraeg555
    cymraeg555 Member Posts: 23
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have been taking co-codamol ,but last week got Tramadol again ,I didnt find them that helpful first time round , but this is what the gp gave me .BUT ,what does seem to work is taking paracetamol at the same time ,this has really helped me as I was in agony !
    Cym x