Problems with fingers

Options
pussygalore
pussygalore Member Posts: 3
edited 29. Dec 2009, 10:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
I would just like to say hello to everyone as I am new to this forum and also to wish you all a Happy New Year. I have been having real problems with doing things in the home such as chopping vegetables recently. My fingers are quite painful and one particular finger stays bent if I try and use it. In spite of seeing GP several times he has never suggested any treatment apart from a leaflet of exercises. I

Comments

• jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi pussygalore, (a Bond fan, no doubt!) you dont say if you have problems with any other joints. I cant give you answers, there are many people here who can help you with advice. It doesnt sound like finger exercised are the answer though! I'm sure you will get some good advice here though. Good luck, Jay
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Pussygalore,

welcome to the forum!

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your hands. I have RA and I know just how frustrating it can be when my hands do not do what they are required to do!!

I would suggest that you ask your GP for a referral to the Occupational Therapy service for an assessment. You may also be able to refer yourself to them, it depends on how they do things in your area - they should be under health services in the phone book, or your local council should be able to put you in touch with them.

When I was seen by the community OT she came to my home, and we talked about what problems my joints gave me. She gave me hints on protecting my sore joints, and also arranged for some free aids to help with different tasks. Sometimes they can also show you a different way to do some tasks that will hurt less.

Do you see a rheumatologist or rheumatology nurse? if so they could refer you to the hospital based OT instead.

hope that helps - until then perhaps you could have a chat to the Arthritis Care helpline people (number at top of the page) who are around tomorrow and Wednesday I think - they could have other things to suggest.

best of luck! (sorry this post goes on a bit :roll: :wink: )
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi there
    Welcome to the forum, it is a great place to meet people and chat, whether about arthritis or other topics.
    My hands are also stiff, painful and clumsy as I have RA. For the pain I use cold packs although I know others prefer heat to make them feel more comfortable. There are many kitchen gadgets that make life easier for us, most good department stores or kitchen stockists will have them. Things that offer a better grip and/or need less effort to use them. Also try not to strain your fingers, so for example use both hands to pick something up rather than overworking the joints in one hand.
    I am sure there will be others along shortly who will offer some more suggestions, unless they are still stuck into the mince pies and pud!
    Gill
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to the forum. I have OA and get a lot of problems with my hands, also they are not as strong as they were and I have an electric tin opener, jar opener, (which is fantastic) and a gadget for opening ring pull cans more easily. I find that fat, round pens are much easier on the fingers than the narrower ones, too. Its funny, but trial and error can lead to you finding odd ways of doing things, that look strange to others! :mrgreen: Occupational Therapists can help you and lend you the equipment you need sometimes, which helps. I also have an electric tooth brush, which is very easy to use and does a better job, I think. The denitist recommended that! :D
  • pussygalore
    pussygalore Member Posts: 3
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hello, Welcome to the forum. I have OA and get a lot of problems with my hands, also they are not as strong as they were and I have an electric tin opener, jar opener, (which is fantastic) and a gadget for opening ring pull cans more easily. I find that fat, round pens are much easier on the fingers than the narrower ones, too. Its funny, but trial and error can lead to you finding odd ways of doing things, that look strange to others! :mrgreen: Occupational Therapists can help you and lend you the equipment you need sometimes, which helps. I also have an electric tooth brush, which is very easy to use and does a better job, I think. The denitist recommended that! :D

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I have found some gadgets help in the kitchen too.

Best wishes