Hi There

rosebud
rosebud Member Posts: 52
edited 30. Dec 2009, 19:00 in Say Hello Archive
hi there

I've been sufferring from aches, pains, stiffness, lack of strength for a number of years. I'm hypothyroid and always put it down to my meds not being quite right.

I saw a thyroid speciallist who suggested that I may have CFS/fibromyalgia, he did also put up my thyroxine and for some time I've felt a bit better.

A couple of months ago I started to have real problems with my right wrist and hand. The doc suggested a thumb splint and thought I had tendonitis but arranged for an x ray to be sure. The report from the x ray says that I've got mild arthritis. I have to admit I'm a bit shocked. I'll go and see the Doc in the new year but was wondering if you kind people would answer a couple of questions for me?

although it is 'mild' arthritis at the mo I'm finding some things reallly difficult i.e. cooking, is this going to get worse? any tips to stop it getting worse?

My left hand also bothers me but not as bad. am I likely to get arthritis in other joints now?

I already have 1 auto-immune disease, should I push for blood tests to rule out RA?

Would it be worth asking for my vitD levels to be tested? Should I supplement? Is there any food supplements that anyone has found to work.

earlier this year I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (I really feel like I'm falling to peices!) I have read on some posts that you can get arthritis in the jaw. Could my TN be mis-diagnosed? BTW I take 50mg amitriptyline at night for TN, I suspect this is also helping my other aches and pains and would probably be feeling worse without it!

Thank you for bearing with me through this post, I look forward to getting to know you all better

Lorraine :)

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Loraine

Welcome to the Forums.

You can post some of your questions on the LWA. Where members may be able to answer some of your questions.

There is also the CChat Forum, which is more upbeat, where we relax and have fun too.

Other members will be along to say hello soon.

Trisher xx
  • rosebud
    Thanks for the welcome Tricia, much apppreciated :D
  • trisher
    Hi Loraine

The only advice I would give you, is to ask the doctor who is treating you.

They have your x rays and sometimes you can be given meds to slow it down. That would have to be by the medical team that have your test results

Apart from that you can ask the helpline team on here. I think they may be open tomorrow.

Trisher xx
  • rosebud
    Hi Tricia

I've made a Doc appointment for early Jan. I have only been told that it's arthritis by the receptionist reading the x-ray report to me over the phone.
    Unfortunately the Doc who sent me for this x-ray 'to rule out arthritis' is retiring in 2 days time.

I will ask the Doc I'm seeing these questions but it is important to me to know what I should be asking so I really do appreciate any pointers others can give me.

thanx again for your reply x
  • jofallowfield
    jofallowfield Member Posts: 41
    Hi. Ive just joined tonight too.I thought I would have to take medication to slow my immune down and that would be me cured but I was shocked having to have ct scan, lung function test and so on,it seems never ending.Im on a load of pain killers and methotroxate now but still have pain and stiffness. Simple tasks like wrapping xmas presents left me crippled for days and that it what really gets me down Ive always been very independent and hate not being able to do things. I worry what the future has in store for me.
  • rosebud
    Hi. Ive just joined tonight too.I thought I would have to take medication to slow my immune down and that would be me cured but I was shocked having to have ct scan, lung function test and so on,it seems never ending.Im on a load of pain killers and methotroxate now but still have pain and stiffness. Simple tasks like wrapping xmas presents left me crippled for days and that it what really gets me down Ive always been very independent and hate not being able to do things. I worry what the future has in store for me.

Hi
    nice to meet you, but sorry you are suffering. I also really struggled with all the xmas wrapping. I understand your worry for the future, I've been doing a bit of that myself x
  • trisher
    Hi Rosebud

I have sent you a pm.

love Trish xxx