Options
rosebud
rosebud Member Posts: 52
edited 30. Dec 2009, 03:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi there, i posted this on the 'say hello' part of the forum but I thought I would put it here as well as some of my questions are about living with arthritis.

I've been sufferring from aches, pains, stiffness, lack of strength for a number of years. I'm hypothyroid and always put it down to my meds not being quite right.

I saw a thyroid speciallist who suggested that I may have CFS/fibromyalgia, he did also put up my thyroxine and for some time I've felt a bit better.

A couple of months ago I started to have real problems with my right wrist and hand. The doc suggested a thumb splint and thought I had tendonitis but arranged for an x ray to be sure. The report from the x ray says that I've got mild arthritis. I have to admit I'm a bit shocked. I'll go and see the Doc in the new year but was wondering if you kind people would answer a couple of questions for me?

although it is 'mild' arthritis at the mo I'm finding some things reallly difficult i.e. cooking, is this going to get worse? any tips to stop it getting worse?

My left hand also bothers me but not as bad. am I likely to get arthritis in other joints now?

I already have 1 auto-immune disease, should I push for blood tests to rule out RA?

Would it be worth asking for my vitD levels to be tested? Should I supplement? Is there any food supplements that anyone has found to work.

earlier this year I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (I really feel like I'm falling to peices!) I have read on some posts that you can get arthritis in the jaw. Could my TN be mis-diagnosed? BTW I take 50mg amitriptyline at night for TN, I suspect this is also helping my other aches and pains and would probably be feeling worse without it!

Thank you for bearing with me through this post, I look forward to getting to know you all better

lorraine

Comments

• pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rosebud,

Nice to meet you!!

I have OA so unfortunately I can't answer any questions on RA or autoimune probs but there are loads of really nice people on here who will be able to give you advice and make you feel a bit better. It's not very nice to find out you have things wrong with you.

Keep your chin up - you may find a visit to the "Chit Chat" forum will make you laugh. Lots of daft things going on there!!

Speak to you again soon.

Pheebs x
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Welcome!

I have RA and also B12 deficiency - pernicious anaemia - doc said that with one auto immune(RA) the other (PA) goes hand in hand. Not sure about your other conditions though but I am sure others will be along soon and will be able to help out.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Welcome Lorraine! I'm sorry you have arthritis but glad you've found us. This is such a lovely forum and so helpful too.

I'm new to all of this too but I'll try to help. If I were you, I'd ask for a blood test to see if it's RA or not. It can't hurt to find out. I'd also highly recommend a blood test for vitamin D level, especially if you are very fatigued and have widespread pain. I had mine tested and I was very deficient. I've been on supplements for 2 months and I'm already feeling better. Medication and pain relief should help slow down any progression and help you cope with day-to-day tasks a bit more.

All the best,
    Sophie
  • rosebud
    Options
    Hi again

Thanks for the warm welcome, it really is appreciated :D

I've made a doc appointment for early January so I'll ask to be tested for RA and vitD levels. I've been supplementing VitD for a couple of months, do you think I should stop for the time being as it may skew the test result?

also, when I went to the docs she sent me round to the physio dept who gave me a sort of wrist/thumb splint/support. Should I be wearing it as often as pos? or will this make my joint weaker? I can't get gloves on with it and I think the cold is affecting the joint, it was viswibly swollen yesterday.

I need to go out soon and scrape my car, i think i'll go with the thick gloves option. Brrrr i'm not looking forward to this!

Thanks again x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Hi rosebud
    Welcome from me too :)
    I can see the others have answered most of your questions. Lovely lot aren't we?!!
    I agree - ask for the blood test and I can't beleive you talking about that neuralgia thingy as I haven't half been suffering over the hols with pain in jaw/teeth/face whatever - waking me at night.
    Mostly left side but sometimes seems to be rt too. Is this simolar?? My sis said to look up tmj (i think?)
    I have a wrist thumb splint which I wear whenevr I am suffering, but not the rest of the time - they are a pain aren't they?!
    We;ll you take care
    Love
    Toni xx
  • rosebud
    Options
    Hi Toni

Yeah, I have suuffered from terrible face pain on left side. Normal painkillers wouldn't touch it so I ws prescribed Tegretol (carmabazepine), an anti epileptic drug. The doc decided that TN was the right diagnosis as Tegretol stopped my pain.

Unfortunately I could not stand the side effects of tegretol. I was already on amitryptiline for susspected CFS (10mg) so the doc told me to up the ami. 50mg is keeping my sore jaw, mouth and face under control. I can tell it's still there though because if I don't take my tabs I get tell tale sign i.e. stabbing in my face.

It was suggested to me on another forum that the doc may be wrong and it may be TMJ instead. Now that I'm having this prob in my wrist I'm starting to question my TN diagnosis and wonder if in gact my problem is more to do with the joint in my jaw. I'm not sure if TMJ will show up on an x-ray.

There is a good TN UK website, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links. would someone let me know please?

If you come accross any answers please let me know

take care x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Thanks Rosebud for that I will have a look to the TN website :)
    If you do a 'search' om here there have been threads about jaw pain in the past might be wortha look?
    You take care and keep warm
    Love
    Toni x