Pain back of the knee ,anyone else had this ?

Options
cymraeg555
cymraeg555 Member Posts: 23
edited 31. Dec 2009, 11:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I hope someone can explain what this is,and wondered if it has happened to anyone else ?
Sometimes when I straighten my leg it feels like something has "pinged " at the back of the knee, its hard to explain ,its like a rubber band being pulled and every time you try and straighten your leg the same thing keeps happening,it feels very painful when it happens and the only thing I can do is rest until it feels less sore and I am able to straighten the leg again ,anyone got ideas to what this might be ?

PS ....I went back to my gp, and he has given me Tramadol slow release ,I find taking it WITH paracetamol has helped the agony somewhat ! I also went for x rays and hope to get the result this week .
Cym xxx

Comments

• minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, to me its sounds like a tendon or ligament problem.
    I get a tightening feeling in the back of my knees but i think its swelling as i dont get the ping feeling youve described.
    I'd disguse it with gp Or rhymy if you have one.
    Glad youve got some pain relief.
    debs
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I had pain at back of my knees, told Doc I needed new hinges, unfortunately he couldn't get suitable ones on prescription
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I get this type of pain frequently - doc says RA can affect tendons as well as joints - had knees xray'd as pain gets awaful sometimes, but just RA damage shown.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Can't help on the knee pain but I know that Tramadol used with paracetamol increases the analgesic effect.
  • thisledome1
    thisledome1 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi
    Is it possible it could be a Bakers Cyst ,i do know they are at the back of the knee and that they are very painfull ,is it worth asking your GP about it .
    Jean
  • cymraeg555
    Options
    Yes I do have Bakers cysts ... so maybe thats what it could be ?
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi Cym,

YES - I know exactly what you mean! I have RA and had this a lot in my left knee, at the back, just as you describe. And sometimes my knee would be really quite swollen so I couldn't straighten it properly. Also, if I was in bed and wanted to straigthen my leg it would 'ping' and make me yelp.

I've also had a similar 'ping' in my elbow and, for a short time, at the front of my neck - especially first thing in the morning!

According to my rheumy its all to do with the RA.

Jackie x
  • cymraeg555
    Options
    [Jackie
    Did they tell you what causes this to happen ?

YES - I know exactly what you mean! I have RA and had this a lot in my left knee, at the back, just as you describe. And sometimes my knee would be really quite swollen so I couldn't straighten it properly. Also, if I was in bed and wanted to straigthen my leg it would 'ping' and make me yelp.

I've also had a similar 'ping' in my elbow and, for a short time, at the front of my neck - especially first thing in the morning!

According to my rheumy its all to do with the RA.

Jackie x[/quote]
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi Cym

Yes I get exactly what you describe.I have RA

lizzie