Just back from ESA medical

Options
penfactor
penfactor Member Posts: 366
edited 31. Dec 2009, 14:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all!
Not much to say about this yet except glad is done & just now to wait & see what they say. Doc was nice, but was weird having to spout all my medical history. Makes you feel so low, doesn't it? Wasn't sure he took much notice of my wonky legs as didn't really get chance to demonstrate which I found very frustrating. You can only answer what they ask & anything not on question sheet gets ignored.
Also couldn't do the movements was asked to do as they were bending over towards floor & squatting of all things! Can't even remember the last time I was able to do that!!
Wanted, also to tell him how fit & agile I used to be before Arthur set in but, again, no chance. Surely they need to know how life has changed but I guess they don't care about our past - it's how we are now.
Anyone else at this stage in illness at mo? I know a couple of people were waiting for results & medical dates...
Love Pennie X

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pennie,

I would beware of a nice doctor as it seems(my impression)that they do that to win your confidence and relax.They also tend to write things you have not said(polite way of saying lies).So I would wait for the results to come through.
    I cannot squat either.It is a no no as my knees would never bend that much.
    Take care
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Good luck, I hope you get the award. I have an appointment on 4 Jan, I think. I have already been for one medical but after waiting an hour, was sent home as it was 5pm!!! :( My husband had taken a day off from school, which isn't easy. After telling the head office just how hard it was for me to get there, as I don't drive that far, and its too far from the car park for me to park and walk back. Also its nearly a 40 mile journey there and back. I got a surprise in that they have sent me a check for £12, travelling and parking - I nearly fainted with shock! :shock: But I will keep the appointment, and if they don't see me this time I'll EXPLODE!!! :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: Not a pretty sight. :lol:

Anyway, you sound as if you should get it, but these days its hard to be sure. My fingers are crossed for you! Its so stressful isn't it. Last night on the local news, on TV the CAB where on saying that esa was causing them so much extra work, helping people with appeals that they are having to turn some away to other agencies as they don't have the staff. :shock: Good LUck. Love Sue
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi Pennie

I had my ESA medical back in July, and yes I was granted ESA with limited capability for work which means I need to see a support worker to look at ways to improve my condition which may bring about employment in the future. I was "signed off sick" by the ESA medical doctor for a year - this is when they want another medical done.

My advice would be to request a copy of the medical report (you are entitle to this). I did although I didnt receive it until the end of October!.

When I read the report I was horrified!. Although I had been happy with the decision by the DWP, and I found the bits of the report the doctor had handwritten to be correct, the tick box sections were completely incorrect. e.g. following the physical examination the doctor had written a very accurate report and ended by saying that my poor mobility makes walking and standing very difficult. He had also written customer has difficulty standing for more than three minutes Yet he ticked a box to say I could stand for 30 minutes without sitting down!!! what a complete joke,I cant remember when I last could stand for 30 minutes!!!. In addition even though he had written I had difficulty walking (and that is with two sticks) and had witnessed me having to stop after 10 yards when he accompanied me from the waiting room to the consulting room, he ticked the box saying I could walk 100 yards without stopping!!!!!.

Now although despite the errors I have been granted ESA, however I also receive DLA and those errors could now affect my DLA which is up for review soon. I also feel very strongly that after answering their questionnaire truthfully saying how limited I am in standing and walking, their errors indicate I am telling lies. Having worked from age 16 to last year I am 54 when I lost my job due to the length of time I had been sick due to RA I feel angy that our government does not seem to be monitoring effectively those carrying out the medicals.

I am now going through the complaints procedure with Athos healthcare which is proving to be time consuming and difficult.

lizzie
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi there - thank you for your replies. Yes, it is all very worrying, all I need is more time to get fitted for shoe aid & see the next step for knee - my next hosp appointment is end of Jan where my consultant is going to begin these procedures. It is not that I do not want to work - my company has held my job open in the hopes I would be able to return when fixed but now op went wrong that does not look possible. They need someone completely able-bodied & job cannot be switched to another dept.
    All I need is to be made able to get help from jobcentreplus to find more suitable employment & am worried that if they do not keep me on ESA I will be left on my own on JSA trying to compete with able-bodied peeps!
    Sue, I wish you luck on yours & Tcheckov, that is so scary if they are writing lies - I will definitely request a copy too, then as I always believe in total honesty & will be absolutely furious if they are not the same.
    Love Pennie X
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Hiya
    I had my ESA medical last Sept and got turned down. I requested a copy of the medical and even though I proved I couldn't squat in the medical the 'doctor' said I could!! I appealed and that got turned down and now I'm going to appeal again then I'm going to the press. I've already gone to my MP but he wants me to hoop jump til the end of the process.
    Its a complete joke. It's not even as if I'm claiming any money as I'm not entitled through lack of NI contributions. I'm 26yrs old, got a Masters Degree and haven't been able to work to the level to contribute therefore I can't claim. I'm now pregnant as the doctors advised it would help my RA (it hasn't!!). I was told that I should have claimed incapacity when I was 16yrs old. Thats great to hear 10yrs down the track!!
    The ESA medical was a farce and said that I had no limited capability for work, which my husband reminded me of when I was sobbing into his shoulder yesterday. I was in so much pain and he was helping to dress me but apparently I can do a 37hrs a week!! He made me chuckle.

I hope you get the right decision. Don't be too disappointed if you get turned down. The woman on the phone from DWP said they do it automatically in some cases!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hhmpphhh!
    Imagine the indignity of having to 'squat'!!
    These medicals make my blood boil.
    Pennie well done for going through with it and Jenzie well done for appealing.
    I hope all goes well now :)
    I will stop moaning now :shock: sorry
    Toni xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    I have also underwent the DLA medical (see previous threads). I was turned down for DLA as 'I can walk 250 metres slowly with a walking aid'. I don't know how they came to this conclusion??

I am in the process of appealing, although I don't hold out much hope. I have requested copies of all the medical reports but who knows when they arrive so I am currently working blind.

If there was only some way we could escalate the issues around this farcical system.

Anne
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I saw on the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Forum a post about the BBC investigating the problems genuine people have claiming ESA.

The BBC are wanting info on the problems encountered as follows:-

"Just how Difficult is it to get ESA. BBC Scotland wants to know"

BBC Scotland are making a half hour radio documentary about the difficulties people face when trying to claim ESA - in particular with the health assessments carried out as part of the process. The programme aims to highlight problems with the new system and to investigate why people with genuine illnesses and disabilities are being declared fit to work.

If you have had a problem claiming ESA and are willing to talk about your experience, then please contact Kathy Long on 01414227277 or Fiona Walker on 0141 422 7863 or email: kathy.long@bbc.co.uk or fiona.walker@bbc.co.uk

lizzie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi,

Following on from Lizzie's post I've found link to a page in the BBC website which may be interesting for those of us trying to get some benefits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8326929.stm

Happy New Year everyone

YEH