cold ankles

salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 4. Jan 2010, 04:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've got inflammatory arthritis including pain in my ankles but lately have been suffering with really cold ankles as well. Never had this problem before. Anyone else had something similar?

Comments

• salamander
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sally36 wrote:
    I've got inflammatory arthritis including pain in my ankles but lately have been suffering with really cold ankles as well. Never had this problem before. Anyone else had something similar?

Hi Sally

I started with RA this year, and must say, I've really noticed feeling the cold more in general,but especially my ankles!! I'm going round wearing 2 pairs of socks, and in the car I have to have the heater blowing at my feet :roll: Are legwarmers still in fashion? :? :? :roll:

Don't know if it's "normal" or not. But if your feet or ankles are feeling worse, or changing colour, or something, it might be worth mentioning to the docs, just for peace of mind.

Stay warm!!
    Luv, Lynn xxxx

hi Lynn. Apparently leg warmers are back in fashion so might get some! I'm sitting with a wheat pack on my ankles most evenings but it somewhat restricts movement!
    x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Sally

When you say cold ankles do you mean like ice swimming around them.It is hard to know if it is just the weather.
    At the moment my right ankle is my worst joint had an x-ray in Nov but not received any info since then.I will give nurse a ring in new year to see what the next step is as dont have an appointment until March(and then 2 in a week)!
    Both ankles and all my toes are very cold.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • salamander
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Sally

When you say cold ankles do you mean like ice swimming around them.It is hard to know if it is just the weather.
    At the moment my right ankle is my worst joint had an x-ray in Nov but not received any info since then.I will give nurse a ring in new year to see what the next step is as dont have an appointment until March(and then 2 in a week)!
    Both ankles and all my toes are very cold.
    Elizabeth

That's exactly how they feel! Very odd as not cold anywhere else.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    My ankles, the backs of my heels and my knees have been frozen for weeks - is it just the weather? Not cold anywhere else.

Annie
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I find my ankles and feet get much colder than the rest of my body. I wear furry (UGG) boots and extra thick socks, which helps. And at home, I always wear slippers.
  • salamander
    Glad to hear it's not just me! Can anyone recommend some good socks? Are the silk ones any good?
    S
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    sally36 wrote:
    Glad to hear it's not just me! Can anyone recommend some good socks? Are the silk ones any good?
    S

I don't know if you've seen them but Primark sell really thick, fluffy socks (in pretty colours too! :D) and they're really warm and cosy.
  • salamander
    princess01 wrote:
    sally36 wrote:
    S

I don't know if you've seen them but Primark sell really thick, fluffy socks (in pretty colours too! :D) and they're really warm and cosy.

thanks! I'll check them out.
    x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Just a bit of lateral thought, have you checked for draughts under both your external and internal doors. This will hit your ankles as cold air stays low.

If you place the back of your hand near to the door gap you can check.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • salamander
    Just a bit of lateral thought, have you checked for draughts under both your external and internal doors. This will hit your ankles as cold air stays low.

If you place the back of your hand near to the door gap you can check.

Joseph 8)

Good idea, thanks. think it must be me though as ankles still cold in bed!
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hi
    I have cold feet and ankles sometimes. I've now got a fettish for socks,leg warmers. I have lots different patterns, colours. Piggy ones, spotty ones, stripes with kittens on, stuffed bears on the side of some, Well all sorts. The Leg warmers are the best. I live in trousers/jeans these days but when I do wear skirts, I like to wear leg warmers also
    Another thing about the cold. All of my back, especially the spine, feels frozen all of the time. I'm hoping the current sessions with my chiropractioner will help this. Must be something to do with the nerves, I think. Does anyone else have frozen parts other than feet and ankles. Even when I was going through the menopause, when I felt as if I was in a furnace at times, my back remained very cold.
    I wear 3 layers of clothes during the weather, years ago I would ever think about wearing thermals, but now :? :? :? :? :wink::wink::wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :cry:
    Interesting
    Joy
  • salamander
    joyful164 wrote:
    Hi
    I have cold feet and ankles sometimes. I've now got a fettish for socks,leg warmers. I have lots different patterns, colours. Piggy ones, spotty ones, stripes with kittens on, stuffed bears on the side of some, Well all sorts. The Leg warmers are the best. I live in trousers/jeans these days but when I do wear skirts, I like to wear leg warmers also
    Another thing about the cold. All of my back, especially the spine, feels frozen all of the time. I'm hoping the current sessions with my chiropractioner will help this. Must be something to do with the nerves, I think. Does anyone else have frozen parts other than feet and ankles. Even when I was going through the menopause, when I felt as if I was in a furnace at times, my back remained very cold.
    I wear 3 layers of clothes during the weather, years ago I would ever think about wearing thermals, but now :? :? :? :? :wink::wink::wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :cry:
    Interesting
    Joy

Hi Joy, I've been looking for leg warmers but haven't found any yet but have been wearing Uniglo heatech leggings which I bought to wear in my studio and wore with a skirt yesterday and they kept me legs really warm. I also bought some thermal walking socks which are great but I can't get my shoes on over them lol! I toogo out with about 3 layers on in this weather!
    Sally
  • annie_mial
    Reading all this about layering clothes, I have found recently that I'm having a problem with static electricity. Always had some problem with that - hair would spark and fly about all over - but I've been getting shocks from shopping trolleys and the handrails outside!
    Anybody got any ideas how I can stop this?

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Ooooh, Joy, I meant to add to the above that I have a permanently cold patch at the top of my spine, just below the neck? It's always, always cold there, even in midsummer. No idea what causes it, but I always seem to be wearing scarves, which really isn't me at all. They get in the way too much and annoy me! But don't see what else I can do. Can't get a jumper or a fleece that goes high enough at the back to keep it warm.

Annie
  • salamander
    Hi Sally

Our relentless efforts to keep warm continue........

Do you have a Sock Shop near you? Or, if you shop online, they have a website. Or Amazon, or any dancewear website - they'll all sell legwarmers.

Know what you mean about not getting your shoes on. I buy opaque tights and wear them under trousers/jeans etc - I can wear ordinary socks and still get my shoes on! I think several thin layers are supposed to better than one thick layer, aren't they?

Roll on Spring, eh?

Lynn xxx

Hi Lynn, thanks for the tips! I've actually just this minute ordered some ankle warmers :D, leg warmers :D and wrist warmers :D:D from a dance website. Can't wait lol!
    x
  • annie_mial
    Maybe I could plug the computer into my ear, Lynn! Hubby says to wear a cotton T shirt first, but I find it still happens, and it gets quite painful at times - it bites me.

Added to that, I can't do a [/i]thing with my hair!

Annie
  • salamander
    Hey, Sally, is there a 1980's revival theme going on here???
    I've actually got to that stage where I really don't care anymore what I look like when I go out (which isn't like me) :roll: As long as I'm WARM!!!!!! It's only temporary - when it's warmer I'll be back to the smart dog-walking gear!!!! :D

Annie - ah, yes, the scary hair!!! :roll: Stands on end just as you open the car door!!!!! Maybe we are just naturally bright sparks, and we're stuck with it!!!!!!!!

Lynn xx

Yep. It must be the 80's again! I fully intend to wear all these accessories hidden under clothes or in the privacy of my own home or studio (which is freezing) lol! Actually thought the leg warmers and wrist warmers will also be very useful on my allotment. In any case, I am realiably informed that leg warmers are back in fashion - Topshop sells them so they must be alright!

Annie, what's with the static? I haven't had the pleasure yet :)

Sally x
  • annie_mial
    No pleasure, believe me, Sally...........more annoying than anything else, and if you don't carry static anyway you probably wouldn't experience it.

I wish I didn't!

Annie
  • salamander
    Sally,

I'm going to place a bulk order tomorrow!!

Off to bed shortly - pyjamas, fleece dressing gown, bedsocks, 3 hotwater bottles, and a wheatbag -
    possibly 2 dogs!!!! Not much room for my poor hubby - he's squished on the edge of the bed!!!!!!!!!

Lynn xxxxx

Sorry - all sold out, bought the lot!
    x
  • salamander
    annie_mial wrote:
    No pleasure, believe me, Sally...........more annoying than anything else, and if you don't carry static anyway you probably wouldn't experience it.

I wish I didn't!

Annie

Hi Annie,
    I think it's because I've got wood flooring. I seem to remember getting v bad static when I was a child living in the States. Would walk across the carpet and go to open the steel framed french windows - ouch!

I don't know where you and Lynn are but it's absolutely freezing here this morning. the grass frozen solid, the cat refusing to go out. Was going to my studio but my leg warmers haven't arrived yet so not sure if I will make it :)
    xx