chronic pain

Options
barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
edited 1. Jan 2010, 13:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I have oa in my hips back and left knee, upto recently I could just about stand the pain, just taking co codamol and amytriptyline at night.
This weekend I can hardly put my feet on the floor , the pain is so bad. Is this what they call a flare up, do you know of anything I can take in the day, that dosnt make you sleepy.
I need to be alert has I have my 2 grandchildren living with me and hubby.
Love
Barbara

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 1. Jan 2010, 12:44
    Options
    Barbara

All my meds are ones that make you drowsy. Can you ask the chemist. The only other one is your GP.

Some chemists may be open, they are where I live, but I do not know where you live.

Can you give your GP a ring? Do they do an evening clinic? They may be able to leave a prescription out for you.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help to you.

Trish xxx
  • barbara12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks Trisher,
    You are always there when someone needs you, I am trying to get in touch with the out of hours GP.
    It will bw the first time but I will give it a go.
    Love Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Thanks Trisher,
    You are always there when someone needs you, I am trying to get in touch with the out of hours GP.
    It will bw the first time but I will give it a go.
    Love Barbara x

If not, give NHS direct a ring. I find them very helpful in these sorts of sitations.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. :(
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Barbara

Sorry to see this, especially as you have had such a rough and very sad time recently. Maybe stress, making thing worse?
    Just wanted to call in and send a hug and hope you do manage to get some pain relief soon.
    Am thinking of you.
    Chris
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

I think Chris is right, your recent loss has caused you stress and your body is telling...slow down, rest and let hubby take the strain for a while.As regards to meds, all painkillers have the warning, can make you drowsy, have you any anti inflamms that you can take? They may help and have some pain relief too.

Take care, thanks for the pm from the other day. As I say,look after yourself, hope you get something sorted soon to help your pain.

Janie
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Sorry that you are finding this has happened; I agree with the others that recent emotional events have caused stress which is now showing itself.
    I do hope you get some help, my out-of-hours medical service is very good.

Love
    Annie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have OA in my hips, back and some other joints. I have times when the pain seems so much worse, but then it calms down. I think as and the others have said, stress plays a part in all this. As for the medication side of things, you need some advice from your GP as soon as possible, some of the 'sleepy' meds don't make you too sleepy after the first few days and some people find they notice the sleepy feeling more than others, so with trial and error and advice, you may find something works better for you. Love Sue
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Thankyou for your replys it really helps to talk to people, I think you may be right about the stress.
    Love Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Good advice there from everyone Barbara, just wanted to say be good to yourself and I hope you've managed to get something to help.
    rita
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Just as an after thought - has your GP ever talked to you about going to a pain management clinic? I go to one, over here in Norwich. They changed my tramadol to the slow release type - same drung, same dose, only I take one tablet twice a day and that gives an even spread of the dose into the blood stream, which seems to help more, especially at night. They have also suggested other things like acupucture, which I will try in the futrue, but my GP wants me to wait awhile until I've seen a neurologist!

I hope things work out better for you this year, and you are able to find something that gives you some better pain relief.
    Love Sue. xxxx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Thankyou again for your support, my out of hours GP [who I have never rang in over 30 years] wasn,t much use he has told me to up my meds that I already have, I can't do this I have my 12 year old and 8 yearold grandchildren living with us, its a long story.
    I am going to my GP on monday and I will ask about the pain clinic you mention.
    Thankyou
    Love Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Barbara

I hope you feel a bit better today.

Sending a big ((((((((hug))))))) to you

Trish xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Trish
    I have taken that many meds I am off the planet I will see what happren monday
    Thankyou for the hugs
    Love Barbaraxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Barbara.

I was just like you a couple of weeks ago. Just couldn't stand up for long. Every movement in the car was agony. I had so much to do aswell for Christmas. Saw GP and he couldn't increase my meds anymore or I would just be spaced out

So we decided that I try a chiropractioner. Just a thought
    Ask your GP.
    Joy