redundancy

Options
carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 15. Jan 2010, 12:15 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have been saved from redundancy. We found out today. Unfortunately my 2 close colleagues on my shift were made redundant. I cried when they came and said goodbye. They are 2 of the most nicest guys you could ever wish to meet and in my opinion, the wrong 2 were picked. I think it's because they both knew their jobs and said what was right and wrong, no matter how the management took it.

The 2 supervisors we're left with in that department, 1 goes home for a coffee as he only lives up the road from work and the other 1 turns up to work p*ssed.

It's that bitter sweet feeling, i'm glad i still have a job but can't believe they got shot of 2 very good colleagues and friends of mine

Carol X

Comments

• margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It is sad when any one is made redundant, but made even worse when the management don't know their staff.

Congratulations and well done on keeping your job

:):):):)

Linda
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 11. Jan 2010, 13:40
    Options
    so glad they kept u on i know it sad but if they good at there jobs they will find better ones soon . it always hard but things might pick up soon so look after no one for now it all u can do u need the job u can always offer to give them a referance
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Carol

Well done for keeping your job, but you must feel very sad for your friends. That is a horrible way for them to start the New Year, especially if they have families to support.

My son-in -law lost his job at this time last year, and was unemployed for 8 months. Luckily, my daughter has a job, so they survived, but with 3 children, it was difficult for them.

He then was offered two jobs, and had to choose between them. Typical, isn't it :?:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    As you say, Carol, bitter-sweet, but well done you for keeping your job.
    Good luck for the rest of 2010, at least it has had a better start for you.

Love
    Annie
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Sorry to hear all the problems you have been having really never fails to amaze me how bosses minds work.
    I had a similar situation at my old work place at Harwell all the good hard working lads got s&@t on and the ar#*holes always got treated really good, and just like you we had a forman who got promoted from within our group and he was a bloody fire hazard, he was put in nick for DD in the 1990's,in fact he was the first in Oxfordshire to be banged up normally that's automatic dismissal but not this twerp he got kept on and as I said flippin well promoted words failed me, normally they don't!.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Well done Carol.
    Really glad you have been saved. I'm sorry for your friends. It's a horrible feeling and you may suffer from mixed feelings about it.
    There's a saying that as one door closes, another opens so perhaps your friends will be OK.

Anyway, pleased you still in work. Just get plenty of rest when you can.

Joy
  • moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    Options
    Sorry to here such bad news but sometimes things like this end up for the better in the long run.

AIl I can say is that I
    hope they got their full whack of redundancy money!
    Steph x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Carol

I'm so glad you weren't made redundant but I can sympathise with you on your colleagues who were let go. Unfortunately, management don't always know best and it's the people who suck up to them who end up getting the praise etc.

Let's give credit to you though, you missed out the fact that you must be good at your job to have been kept on :-)

Nx
  • carol101
    Options
    How's this for a kick in the teeth?

My 2 colleagues who were made redundant from my shift were supervisors of 1 dept and i'm supervisor of another dept. We are all on the same shop floor, just split into 2 sides so to speak. My side doing hand work and the other doing machine work.

Today i was in yet another meeting and the 2 depts are now being classed as 1 and i am supervisor of the whole warehouse. I don't have much choice if i want to keep my job, and the actual job itself, i'm happy to do. I just feel like i'm jumping into their boots as soon as they're out of them though. I have spoken to both of them on the phone and both are fine with it and understand but i feel so guilty.

Carol X
  • annie_mial
    Options
    As Jan said, it isn't your fault, Carol. I know exactly how you feel, but you have to try and ignore the guilty feelings, grit your teeth and do the job the best you can. I admit it's not easy, but if you worry over it too much you stand to upset your health again......be kind to yourself.

Love
    Annie
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Yes, don't feel guilty, it's not your fault, your two colleagues would have agreed to do the same in your position

Nx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Carol.
    Just wondered how you were doing?
    I said that you would have mixed feelings about the way things were going at work, but you have to put it at the back of your mind now and just get on with it.
    Or else it could be you next. Unfortunately in any line of business, as soon as someone gets too expensive to employ, out they go. Companies also bring in new people on contract work or temporary.
    That way the company gets out of paying redundancy.
    That happened to me on numerous occasions.

you have had a good start to the year, let's hope it continues for you.
    Joy
  • carol101
    Options
    Well today i was handed the keys to the factory. Although i have worked in the other dept before i have no idea how it is run. Yes i have the man management skills but as for if a machine breaks down or i don't have enough staff to run all the machines i have no idea how the come to a decision on what machines to shut down!

It certainly is going to be fun Sunday night with the woman in charge not having a clue! Also i'm the only female and now in charge of around 50 men!

Girl Power! :lol:

Carol X
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Good on yer, Carol. When in the same position, I used to say to myself 'Don't know what to do next - just do the next thing along'!

It didn't help, but it made me feel better!

Annie