postmen

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 17. Jan 2010, 16:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi my oldest son is a postman and through all the bad weather he did not miss a day at work and even wore his shorts as normal . i have given up nagging and moaning at him as does no good. he is one of many who do the job with kind word and smile on his face even when the kids all think it fun to snow ball him . i am so proud of how he has turned out. in this day and age we mainly hear of those who stay n bed all day and do nothing for any one else but so many young people make us proud .
val

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Val

I think the posties do a great job and have really felt for them working in these weather conditions. I bet you are proud of your son. The ones around here are all friendly and have a great sense of humour which is what one needs more of these days. I listened on the radio recently about all the preparation work the posties do before they go on their round. My goodness, they have to know so many different rounds. I take my hat off to all of them. They make the world go round - my little world anyway. :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Val

We often take it for granted that our post will arrive, even in this snowy weather, and it is easy to forget the hard work people like your son put in. His hard-working attitude must have been modelled on you and your husband when he was growing up. It is lovely to have a son you can feel so proud of though. I've got a son I am very proud of too.

Does he really wear shorts in this weather :?: :?: They breed em tough in Worksop :!:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Our postman has missed only a couple of days, but I couldn't blame him, any kind of movement around our door was impossible! With 11 iced up stone steps to climb ----well, they weren't steps, just a kind of frozen waterfall!

Bless him, though, he is always smiling when we do see him!

Annie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    :D:D:D There are a few around here that wear their shorts in all weathers. Brrrrrrrrhh!! :D

Pushing those trolleys through the snow must be really hard work though!

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Well said Val and thanks for sharing that.

But did you really say SHORTS! :shock:
    Good for him, you have every right to be proud of his commitment to his job.
    Chris
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    bet he,s got fantastic leggys :wink::lol::lol:

Hey! You stole my line!

But yes, fantastic work, we've carried on getting our post through this weather too. Isn't it true though that they're not insured against snow so if they injure themselves they can't claim anything?

Or am I just making that up?!

Nx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I bet you are really proud of him, I can tell
    I hope he won't suffer later with arthritis in those luv'ly knees.

We also have a wonderful postman called Paul. We swop Christmas Cards. He really looks after us. Would hate it if his round was changed

Joy
  • valval
    Options
    hi yes shorts silly boy but must say his legs always brown even in the middle of winter makes me cold just to look at him. says he hates cold wet trousers and can see his point of view. we r very lucky in this country as we are surounded with people who care for one another. even just a smile can make so much difference to one anothers lives you do not need loads of money or expensive items its people who count and we do forget from time to time . so if u see your postman or dustbin man smile and say hello . it costs nothing but will make u feel better all day :D:D:D:D even some buss drivers lovely others well we have all met them lol
    val
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    We have some nice busdrivers on the 'A' route that we use.
    They have been a bit grumpy just lately, not just because of the weather, but bosses are trying to mess with their shifts again, very much like Royal Mail are trying to do.
    Why they can't just leaves things alone.
    Saves money in the long run

joy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Yes Val
    The posties often get forgotten dont they?
    Ours hasn't missed a single day and the milkman too :)
    I for one have been very grateful.
    One of the reasons I keep the path clear is for them
    Love
    Toni xx
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    Well done to your son.

But.............where we live we haven't seen a postman since before Christmas. Yes, we've had snow, but it's thawed. The traffic is flowing as normal.
    Yet, we have been waiting for some correspondence now for 3 or 4 weeks.
    It leads me to wonder what all the posties are doing. They used to walk the streets delivering mail in all weathers, now a little snow and we don't get our post any more.
  • valval
    Options
    rondetto wrote:
    Well done to your son.

But.............where we live we haven't seen a postman since before Christmas. Yes, we've had snow, but it's thawed. The traffic is flowing as normal.
    Yet, we have been waiting for some correspondence now for 3 or 4 weeks.
    It leads me to wonder what all the posties are doing. They used to walk the streets delivering mail in all weathers, now a little snow and we don't get our post any more.
    i would get in touch and find out why it could be because they send most of the mail to large sorting offices and if that gets snowed in so does mail lol our post men can not leave sorting offices till special mail has arrived so often after 9 am before they r aloud out to start delivering the post men do not like this as they r later finnishing so do not go back and do another route after theres these days as it would be so late when they finnish. so if your postman off ill they might struggle to get some one to do it unless they have plenty of cover which they have cut back on
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Val
    Tell your son to keep up the good work, it must be a awful in this weather.
    Our postie is lovely he checks on the old people, and comes what ever the weather, last week I lent him my snow grips , i felt so sorry for him,( that reminds me hes not brought them back yet)
    :lol: Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    We could do with him down here, sometimes our postman puts totally wrong post through our door and other times leave parcels on the doorstep after signing for it himself!, during the snow we didn’t have any mail for 5 days.
  • valval
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    We could do with him down here, sometimes our postman puts totally wrong post through our door and other times leave parcels on the doorstep after signing for it himself!, during the snow we didn’t have any mail for 5 days.

well have been trying to get him to leave home lol do u want him .he fetched bins in and washed dishes today (wondering what he wants ) he does not do it often but when he does such lovely suprise
    val
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I must say that our postman hasn't missed a day despite the weather, we always say thanks loudly when the post comes through the letter box, we even taped a christmas card to the front door for him. He is just wonderful, if he delivers parcels he offers to bring them in for us, a terrific service love Jaspercatxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    i read today that some were told not to go into work cos of the snow.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    Options
    think ours were not allowed to use there bikes while it was bad. so had to walk in it with bags will have to ask about it lol u know what kids r like do not tell u anything
    val