Insurance. is this normal?

Options
minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 14. Jan 2010, 13:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi, as some of you know we had a car accident recently.
The other insurance company has admitted full liability for the accident. we are waiting for car to be repaired & a courtesy car to be delivered.
But we got our renewal novice through this morning & it has gone up dramatically.
From £227 to £311.
£84.31 a yr to be precise.
we have protected no claims & i cant understand why it has gone up so much this yr.
The accident wasnt our fault, the guy just pulled out in front of us & we couldnt avoid him.
I am now going to look for a cheaper quote but cant change just yet as the car needs to be repaired 1st.
Anyone know if this is right after a claim. :?:
Thanks, debs

Comments

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think insurance companies do increase your premium after a claim, but not usually this soon afterwards. It may well have been going up anyway. Mine did, quite a bit this year - with no claims at all. I used confused.com, and have got really good quotes for both my car, and home insurances. Try them, no obligation........Ange.
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Debs,

Unfortunately they use any excuse to up your premium. I take it that it is your annual renewal time?

I have been in the same situation someone tried to steal my car but instead badly damaged it a few days before the policy came to an end. The insuranse company I was with at the time dealt with the claim, meanwhile I shopped about and went over to another company for the coming year. So don't think you have to stay with them until the repairs are done, you don't.

Although you will find as I did that no matter that it isn't your fault you have to inform the insurance company and it will affect your premium.

Hope this helps & if you have any more questions give me a shout.

Anne
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Debs,

I think that quite a jump. Mine went up by over 80 this last time so I rand them to cancel it as they were no longer the cheapest for the car..... Turns out they had put a load of extras on it I didn't need as its 3rd etc and would never use as in European cover..... Its dodgy over a few miles I should never try 1000's! :wink::lol::lol: It might be worth asking them why its gone so much up?

They also hadn't remembered to take ff the emg service discount either and be honest it ended up coming down again to almost half the price they were charging. I think you have to get to them before renewal though. Luv and a thaw Cris xx
  • minky67
    Options
    Thank you Anne,Ange & Lynn,
    Ive tryed the price comparision sites & they all want to know the cost of repairs before they do a quote.
    we havent got there yet.
    Im now thinking of getting a mobiltiy car to save all this hassle.
    The cars now 9yrs old, the damage thats done, bodywork wise, now we have a problem with the electrics. nothings working.Cant use it now.
    Im now worried its gonna be wrote off. :cry:
    I still think its wrong when some1 hits you & your preminum goes up & we may lose the car.
    debs
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Car insurance is based on the risk of a claim. As you have made a claim, then you are now considered a higher risk even though you keep your no claims. That is what happened to me a couple of years ago when they put my insurance up, like you I was not at fault.

But you should also check for any extras tagged on as it says above.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Deb
    If you qualify for higher mobility I would get a car if I was you. you get all your insurance,service costs paid for you to buy it after 3 years.It saves a lot of worry.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you were not hurt, probably shook up though.

Like others, have had experience of having insurance increased after a claim.
    On the other hand, some of you have had your annual insurance increased regardless of any claims. I have had the opposite over the last 5 years, because I have not claimed mine has gone down.

With our house insurance, however, after our recent claim for the water damage last year, it was increased by nearly £150 because, as livinglegend explains, we are now considered a higher risk. In their eyes the cause of the damage was caused by worn parts in the tank. We should have taken steps to overhaul things.

I hope everything gets sorted without too much inconvenience.

Joy
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi & thank you for all the replies.
    Looks like weve all been affected by the cost of insurance rising one way or another.
    we thinking about the mobility car at the moment, see what happens with ours first & the next MOT, before we make up our minds.
    Thanks again.
    debs