lucky to be here

Options
mike77
mike77 Member Posts: 879
edited 17. Jan 2010, 15:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
What an escape I had yesterday , I forgot to go round to the shop early to get my son a chip , but I remebered at 4.00pm , went round on my mobility scooter , I postion my scooter inbetween two cars ans watched as the road became clear , then I pressed the button to go but I did it slowly , just as well as a car came belting towards me , I thought oh god were did he come from . he screeth the brakes people in the shops looked out , I was shaking I looked and he was tearing along the road like a wild man ( he must of been in a hurry) every one looked at me some smiled others did not bother, I came home told hazel she was shocked to hear what had happened . Later on I broke down crying I still get tearey when I think of what could have been,I am never going out when its starting to get dark again the roads then are just too busy.

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR

:D:D:D happy to be here :D:D:D
Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mike

That must have surely shook you up big time. Not surprised you had a cry - delayed shock reaction.

You go careful. Motorists, for some reason don't seem to see cyclists and mobility scooters, whatever one wears or all the lights one has, to alert them that you are using the road too.

Hope you are all ok today.

Luv
    Elna x

:D:D:D happy to be here :D:D:D[/quote]
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hope you are okay today.I read your other post and I also got discharged.It was a mistake and the hosp put me straight back on without re-reffering me by GP.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Mike, what a terrible thing to happen, some motorists don't care at all, hope you are feeling less shocked today love Jaspercatxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Mike

Can you not go along on the pavement, or is it one of those bigger scooters?

I do hope you feel better now.

Trish xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Oh, what a lucky escape, Mike...........some drivers just don't care so long as they get from A to B in the shortest time possible! Keep your chin up.

Annie
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Rabbit in headlights is a horrible place to be, and delayed shock is what your suffering now Mike, Just don’t stop going out though chap, I know this has really shocked you but don’t let fear rule you, I hate saying this it sounds twee but try to be pro active take back your feeling of helplessness by becoming pro active, have a look on the web for some sort of bike type LED lights that will make you more visible, you can get reflective red and white tape that’s shines up like the barriers and road signs, and best of all you can organise the family to put it on your buggy as well as the LED lights. Even put some tape on the wheels as it will draw attention to anyone who sees it slowly rotating, it might just help a bit!.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    thats awful....probably bit late now but a cup of tea with sugar for the shock. I havent exactly had a good look at scooter but can you make it super visible?...fluorescent flag on top like on those bicycle buggies that attach to bikes or something then twerps like that might see you like a beacon!...hope youre okay now.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    that is awful, it's horrible when cars just don't look.
    i tend to walk, well hobble more because i don't drive and it never ceases to amaze me how many car drivers don't see pedestrians or bikes or mobility scooter.
    i have also found that when cars park they don't think about pavement users.
    it's a subject that never fails to annoy me. any way, i'll stop ranting now. i really hope you are ok and please don't stop going on on your scooter, i always think i should carry a pen and pencil and write down the reg numbers and report them, but i always forget!
    take care
    sue
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Mike Hazel Mjr.
    i know how you feel its happened to me as well.and once i was on the pavement and a lorry came around the corner the road was not wide enough so he got on the path i went to turn a round
    and the scoota tipped he stopped the lorry and got
    out to help it was dusk then and i had my lights on.it did not stop me going out but it made me
    worried when i saw lorrys.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Mike
    am so glad you are ok :shock:
    This is awful scary, but dont let it put you off going out.

Have you got lights on your scooter?
    People are just too into their own lives to see evrything - which is so dangerous.
    I hope you are beginning to feel better now?
    Love
    Toni xx
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    Hi all ,
    I went out today on my mobility scooter, went up to the graves of my parents ( to thank them for looking out for me ) now cars scare me even tho I was on the pavement the whole way up to the graveyard.

My mobilty scooter has no lights it is a small one which is easily folded up .

Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    mike77 wrote:
    Hi all ,
    I went out today on my mobility scooter, went up to the graves of my parents ( to thank them for looking out for me ) now cars scare me even tho I was on the pavement the whole way up to the graveyard.

My mobilty scooter has no lights it is a small one which is easily folded up .

Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
    Well done for going out Mike.
    That's a good satrt.
    I know the kind you mean - the little nippy ones :wink:
    Maybe you could get some bicylce lights for it?
    (maybe your Mum and Dad were watching out - probably were)
    At least the nights are getting shorter now.
    Love
    Toni xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Sorry to see this Mike no wonder you were shook up! I'm guessing the motorist didn't stop to see if you were Ok. There really are some nuts on the road. Really hope you and Hazel are feeling better today.
    take care
    Chris
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    just seen this sorry you had such a bad experiance . but not all drivers r the same but they do tend to feel invincible in there little metal boxes . it a reminder to us all to take more care in the dark nights it so easy to forget to dress in light colours when only popping down the road i hope u r over the shock now good luck and stay away from parked cars we all need u take care
    val