ancestry search

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 18. Jan 2010, 14:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
I thought i would have a look at that ancestry website but seems you have to give an email address etc. Are there any sites where you can jusst search without having to give war and peace details to them? or money?

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Oneday,

As far as I know you get so far, then you have to pay.

We had a letter from some who had hubby's surname. They saif they had been tracing the name but now they needed money to go into it further.

We declined the offer.

Good luck, if you do get somewhere, but be careful.

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Isn't the friends reunited one new?
    Sorry if its not...
    Toni x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Oneday,

I think they usually want a email but they don't see to junk up your inbox much. I traced mine quite a way back an the gov parish records was helpful but can't remember if they wanted an email address. They all seem to charge at some point. A good way though is if you have a family history place near by cus they don't charge much and can give you a lot of help. There is also the free b something or another site. I will have to get back to you on what its called though..... Memory eh?! :oops: Cris x
  • oneday
    Options
    Hi girls
    reading your replies i could just imagine us all sat around having a cuppa and biscuit all saying those things...few bits of silence now and again as we tried to recall where we had seensomething!!
    i tried the ancestry thing but as you say got so far and it wanted an email and i thought, here we go,open up the spam flood gates :roll:
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    Hi girls
    reading your replies i could just imagine us all sat around having a cuppa and biscuit all saying those things...few bits of silence now and again as we tried to recall where we had seensomething!!
    i tried the ancestry thing but as you say got so far and it wanted an email and i thought, here we go,open up the spam flood gates :roll:

Hi Oneday,

Come on let's sit here and have a cuppa. Now you look there and I will look in this one. Pass the bikki's.

Bingo.

That would be so nice Oneday, maybe we will, you never know. Fingers crossed for you.

Trish xxx
  • oneday
    Options
    ive slung the bikkis and got the cream cakes out, but thought it said bikinis at first!
  • oneday
    Options
    trisher, whereve you gone, haa,found you head in the fridge....
  • maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    There are 2 really good sites where you can search for free and don't have to give any details -

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

maud
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Well Done Maud, i;ll have a look at those
    i tryed one few months back but they wanted nearly £90 :shock: so i didnt do it.

sorry to be thick Cris but what is a family history place?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    have u got group near u that does it know bloke i work with runs one helping people trace familys ect
    val
  • oneday
    Options
    thanks ... i will look at them
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Page,
    There is a saturday group at Baptist Church in Hillingdon that do ancestor research.Only noticed cos its at same place as the children playgroup every other Saturday.
    My brother is researching our family tree up in Durham and there are some good websites so I will give him a call,
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    Options
    thank you. :D