Swimming

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 20. Jan 2010, 13:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi All,

Well the Christmas fat has certainly taken root this time and I don't think dieting on it's own will be enough to get it to move so I was thinking of taking up swimming again. So has anyone else done this? I'm wondering about how much to do and how often. And I know this sounds silly but I'm worried about getting cold when changing-anyone got any tips?? I know that this will be a good form of exercise because it is not weight bearing. I don't know why I'm worried because in my pre-arthur days I used to swim a minimum of 3 times a week and I'm actually a BSAC qualified Sports Diver. Perhaps that is the reason- I know how good I used to be and this will show me how much I've declined over the years.

Anyway any tips on how to face my demons??

Thanks

Kate

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi little and often listen to your body it will let u know when u have had enough. hope the water warm ours tends to be bit cold for me so gives me more probs than cures lol, good luck hope it works for u
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Kate

My advice would be just to go with the flow and enjoy it. Swimming is an excellent form of exercise, and any is better than none. I wouldn't worry about how far, how long, how much. Life is for living, so swim with the dolphins, as someone once told me to do, and just have fun.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • katekelly
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Kate

My advice would be just to go with the flow and enjoy it. Swimming is an excellent form of exercise, and any is better than none. I wouldn't worry about how far, how long, how much. Life is for living, so swim with the dolphins, as someone once told me to do, and just have fun.

Joan,

That is one of the reasons I want to swim again as well as the weight. Hubby, youngest and I are off to Florida in March (although Sarah doesn't know and hopefully won't until we get to the airport).
    Ever since I was a little girl I have always had a dream of swimming with the dolphins and that was why I learnt to Scuba Dive. Sadly Arthur reared his ugly head and I never got the chance to swim with them. Although there are some wild dolphins (often called rogue dolphins because they don't swim with an established pod and seem happier in the company of humans rather than other dolphins) around the british coast, there is one off the east coast of Scotland and one in the Dingle Pennisula off the west coast of Ireland (known as Funghie!), because of the cold in our waters and the sheer weight of diving gear not to mention trying to pull on a dry suit I never got to fulfill my deepest wish.

Well I was looking out for a cheap 'n; cheerful week in the med during the summer when Hubby said that we'd all had such an awful time last year what with Ellie's meningitis scare, my blackouts losing 2 jobs through redundancy, my ulcer and the devastating death of my beloved Godmother, that we were going to have a good holiday and so he said it was Florida or nothing!!! Not being a girl who needs to be asked twice I said 'ARRRGGGHHHHH' and then burst into tears.

Whilst we were looking at all the various theme parks etc I found this place called Discovery Cove. They let you swim with the dolphins there. I was immediately bought down to earth with a bump when I saw the cost of it (£187!!!) and £120 each for Hubby and little one just to watch, so I said I'd make do with Seaworld and watch them there. But Hubby has said I must do it as it may be the last chance I get to do it because we are both realists who knows what state my health will be in 10 years. So I am very fortunate and am looking to up my 'swim' fitness to enjoy the whole experience.....also if I'm going to have a photo of me in a swimming cossie I'd rather it was without the spare tyres (yes plural) around my belly!!!

Me, vain??? YESSSSSSS
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Kate

How strange that I should use that expression without knowing that you really ARE going to swim with the dolphins. I think it means just relax. and don't worry, but I like the image it brings to mind, so I use it quite often now.

I hope you will have a much better year this year, and a lovely holiday when the time comes.

Joan
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Kate

Do hope you do feel able to take the plunge again. After going to hydrotherapy lately I don't think I will ever dare go to a cold public pool again, I know what you mean about feeling the cold when you get out.
    Not sure if this helps but my hydrotherapy pool at the hospital has open sessions for half an hour over lunchtimes which anyone can book. They still limit the number in the pool and you can't exactly swim but can exercise at your own pace. It is a bit expensive but I am thinking of doing it once my sessions end as have found it so helpful and WARM :D This may be a bit tame for you but thought I would mention it.
    Good luck
    Chris
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi Kate

One bit of advice!

My kids went swimming with dolphins in Malta, (at a fraction of the cost of the States!) and Laura went in a bikini. Those dolphins can move at speed in the water and there was a moment of Laura shooting past with her bare bum on show, much to the amusement of her brothers. She felt it disappearing and had to clamp her ankles tightly together before it disappeared altogether and frankly, however intelligent dolphins are, mid swim is not the time to say, "excuse me but....". Fortunately the dolphin was CRB checked!

Wear a one piece!

I personally declined but hope you have a wonderful time. You more than deserve it!

Love Kaz xx
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    About this time last year my wife who hadnt swum for years
    decided to give it a try. She and her friend swam about six
    lengths of a 25 metre pool in about an hour. They now go
    regularly once a week and swim 32 - 36 lengths in the same
    period of time without any undue effort. She also goes to a
    disabled persons club most weeks again for an hour.
    I cant report on weight loss - she's very coy about that -
    but she is a very happy lady and really enjoys her exercise.
    Occasionally she takes 19 and 9 year old grand daughters with
    her and altho they swim slightly faster that is the real icing on
    her nana cake. Good luck.
  • jofallowfield
    jofallowfield Member Posts: 41
    Options
    I had never been swiming for years then my daughter wanted to go so I braved the waddle into the pool and dreaded getting out,not good at walking in bare feet but it does me so good mentaly anyway.It feels so good to move without pain and I feel I am doing some excercise which I hope will help my RA.I havnt had any extra colds so good luck give it a go.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hello Kate!!!
    Goiod to see you :D:D
    I go three times a week if I can :D I do my lengths in twos and only do one set if things are not good and then build up keeping the steps as the second on the two so I can get out!!
    Some people 'walk' in the water who have arthur - As yet I have felt too self conscious to do that and tend not to go if I think I could only do that :oops: :oops:
    Go for it gal!
    Go on!
    Remember that great feeling you get when you've been :D:D:D
    Love
    Toni xx
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Kate

Can I come to Florida with you? I have some annual leave owing to me? I'm very well behaved (most of the time) :-)

Swimming - GO FOR IT, your body will tell you when to stop or slow down. You will only know for sure if your technique's deteriorated if you get in the water, you won't know anything just thinking about it.

I learnt to swim last summer and never looked back. I go twice a week - once with the girls on Sunday mornings and once on Tuesday evenings because it's ladies only and quite a laugh. As well as pilates on Wednesday. I've never looked back, however bad you're feeling, it's just so much better in the water and afterwards.

As for feeling cold afterwards, I've carried on swimming right through this winter and found that I don't feel the cold if I've had a really good swim. It is exercise after all, it's like taking an aerobics class for me. But I just use a little cubicle so there's no draft and wrap up warm before going outside.

Let us know how you get on.

Nx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Wow hope you have a lovely time in Florida.Is he missing a rally for this?But I agree with him about the once in a lifetime experience.
    As for Christmas fat.Me too.Goes on easily but never seems to go again.
    I sympathise about the diving.You just want to do these things again.I get the same in the gym.I want to flip over but I think it would kill me nowadays...
    One problem I discovered with swimming.I went in one with only a step ladder to get in and out but of course struggled with the ladder getting out.Stepping onto ladder steps is painful.So make sure access in and out of pool is manageable.
    Good luck.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • katekelly
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Wow hope you have a lovely time in Florida.Is he missing a rally for this?But I agree with him about the once in a lifetime experience.
    As for Christmas fat.Me too.Goes on easily but never seems to go again.
    I sympathise about the diving.You just want to do these things again.I get the same in the gym.I want to flip over but I think it would kill me nowadays...
    One problem I discovered with swimming.I went in one with only a step ladder to get in and out but of course struggled with the ladder getting out.Stepping onto ladder steps is painful.So make sure access in and out of pool is manageable.
    Good luck.
    Elizabeth

No Elizabeth he's not missing a rally -in fact we get back on Good Friday and he's on about packing the bike up before we go to the US and riding to the Easter rally either late friday afternoon or early saturday morning!!! Mind you by that time I might be glad to see the back of him!!! Only joking honest!!!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Kate.
    i have been going to the hydrotherapy pool for
    14 years i have not noticed any change because i have c palsy.
    the warter is lovely and warm and so you can move easer i say we do has much exersise with our mouths as our bodys.
    you have more exersise getting dressed after.
    you can tell we enjoy it.
    all the best joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Swimmings for fish, if our creator wanted us to swim He would have given us gills.

But didn't humans evolve from fish :?: Really, we are just sophisticated fish with lungs and limbs.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi, I've started swimming after hydrotherapy. I think the thing is to build up. My physio said to do a third of what you used to be able. One day I felt good and did a lot more and could hardly walk the next day. To minimize the cold changing rooms I wear my costume to the pool so only takes a minute to undress. Also take two towels, one for my hair and another for my body and take it to the poolside. I wrap my wet hair in a hat and dry it at home. The changing rooms near my pool are freezing!
    Good luck, hope you can build up your strength for your holiday.
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    As an ex swimming teacher/lifeguard trainer etc.

Could I ask you all, if you are going back into the water after some time off with Arthur, please tell the life guard, they will just keep an extra eye on you.
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Swimmings for fish, if our creator wanted us to swim He would have given us gills.

It can also save your life :)

Linda
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Linda.
    i go to a hydrotherapy pool you have to have a note from your doctor to go there and they watch you. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    As an ex swimming teacher/lifeguard trainer etc.

Could I ask you all, if you are going back into the water after some time off with Arthur, please tell the life guard, they will just keep an extra eye on you.

Thanks for that tip. I was swimming a couple of weeks ago and my knee was really painful and I cried out a bit and the lifeguard was on it in a second, checking I was ok. Impressive!
  • katekelly
    Options
    Well I went swimming last night and I survived!!!! In fact I was well impressed by my ability (not however my technique!!!) but I managed 10 yes 10 lengths. I've had my tea early and I'm aiming to go again tonight!!!

I've found all your tips very useful and 10 is about a third of what I used to achieve and I took my towel poolside (mainly to hide my ample wobbly bits) and got dressed ASAP and had a warm shower when I got home.

So thanks everyone, your advice is as always invaluable and all I can say is Florida here I come!!!!
  • jofallowfield
    jofallowfield Member Posts: 41
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Well I went swimming last night and I survived!!!! In fact I was well impressed by my ability (not however my technique!!!) but I managed 10 yes 10 lengths. I've had my tea early and I'm aiming to go again tonight!!!

I've found all your tips very useful and 10 is about a third of what I used to achieve and I took my towel poolside (mainly to hide my ample wobbly bits) and got dressed ASAP and had a warm shower when I got home.

So thanks everyone, your advice is as always invaluable and all I can say is Florida here I come!!!!
    Well done!! I have a hot shower at the baths and use talc so I can get my clothes on faster.Keep it up :D
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    10 lenths is great well done so glad it went well
    val