Music

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 20. Jan 2010, 17:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
I don't know about some of you but sometimes I can hear a piece of music and I am immediately taken back to a time or place that is so vivid it's as if it has only just happened.

One of these pieces of music is 'Que Sera Sera'. It has a bittersweet memory for me and I hope in time it will become just a happy memory.

One day when I was about 7or 8 my Godmother (God bless her) came and picked me up and said "Shall we go and see auntie Gert?"
Well I was really pleased because "Auntie Gert" (who wasn't a real auntie but a friend to my Godmother and my real Mother) used to spoil me rotten. So we got in Mo's car - a huge Vauxhall Cresta with bench seats just like an american one and off we went. It was in the days before people had cassette players in cars and she had an 8 track Cartridge system in it. We set off -me in the passenger side, her dog called Fluffy on a special seat Mo had made for her in the middle and Mo driving and Doris Day playing on the 8 track. Auntie Gert lived about 15 miles away but what Mo didn't tell me was that Gert was on holiday (I'll say Southend but not 100% sure) and had a little beach hut there. After a little while I thought we weren't going the right way and told Mo and then she told me we were off to the seaside.

Doris Day sang Que Sera, Sera many times that day and I loved it- Mo must have been well fed up of it by the time we got there but we played it all the way home too!!!

When I put the announcement in the local paper of her death last year there was only one thing I could put really-Que Sera, Sera-Whatever will be ,will be.

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kate

That was a lovely story, and you have a treasured memory of that day.

I would choose 'All I have to do is dream', sung by the Everly Brothers. It was the first piece of pop music which ever hit home with me when I was a young teenager discovering life.

I always wanted to hear the Everly Brothers singing live, and eventually achieved my ambition many years later when they went on a reunion tour after falling out and not speaking to each other for many years. Their voices were just as I remembered them when I was 13 or 14, and they took me back to that time.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    There were (and are) soooooo many. I think I'd have to pick Bobby Darin 'Dream Lover'..................my last term at school and I was hopelessly in love...............

Annie
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I was twenty years old, and holding my first beautiful baby who was just 5 and a half weeks. Frank Ifield was on the radio, singing "I remember you", and I was singing along with him. As we got to "When the angels ask me to recall the thrill of them all, I will tell them I remember you", my little one gave me his very first smile.....Ange.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    A lovely memory for you Kate

Lots of songs have meaning for me but one that still makes me smile is Young Hearts run Free. I danced round my handbag to that a few times!!
    Chris :wink:
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I had to get me back to the eighties ministry of sound cd as the music takes me back to my young night clubbing days.
    I remember sporting a big curly hairdo which made me look like a poodle. Big shoulder padded jackets those hidious shell suits. I thought i was cool now i think oh my god what was i thinking. :oops: :oops:
    The music will never change i still love it allways will. :D joanne
    Joanne
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 20. Jan 2010, 04:45
    Options
    When newly divorced, having bought myself a new ford fiesta and taking my two girls to school in Great Missenden
    mmmbop by Hanson was always on the radio.I always remember us singing along to that track on the way to school.It can make me cry cos it was a difficult time but it also makes me think of my little girls having to endure so much change in a short space of time.Now they are grown up and working but one of them is still a big Hanson fan.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I can run a bit of music note for note and sometimes word for word through my head, even if it's been years since I last listened to it, i also can get a song in the first few notes most times.
    Music like smell or other external influences are great memory triggers, the really negative ones deep imprint for good reason, all are important otherwise it would be dangerous not to have a memory of any kind.
  • tkachev
    edited 19. Jan 2010, 09:41
    Options
    chris7 wrote:
    A lovely memory for you Kate

Lots of songs have meaning for me but one that still makes me smile is Young Hearts run Free. I danced round my handbag to that a few times!!
    Chris :wink:
    This was one of my old boyfriends and my songs!Never be hung up like my man and me........He was lovely then but bet hes old and fat now!I have to tell myself that when I think of him cos we always have inflated memories of people!
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    The most powerful one for me is
      'It's Over, I ain't coming back'
      by Level 42

It's one of my husband's favourites and when he was very,very ill in 2008 and since, I can't even bear to hear the opening bars before dissolving into tears. :cry:

..... although it's wrong because he did :D

Luv Legs :D
      Love, Legs x
      'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
    • ninakang
      ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
      Options
      Legs - that's really sweet.

For me, it's anything by Queen or U2, all their songs hold good memories for me - right through my teenage years and through college, it was practically all I'd listen to.

I can't really name one favourite song because I change my mind so often. At this precise moment, I would say "With or Without You" by U2...

Or maybe "She's the One" by Robbie Williams...
      "Don't stop me now" by Queen
      "Save Me" by Queen
      "Who wants to live forever" by Queen

I'm going to stop now, before I think of some more :-)

Nina X

PS - I'll always remember "It's Like That" by Run DMC because that's the song that was no 1 when my eldest was born.
    • tkachev
      Options
      Wham were top of the charts when both my girls were born....different songs though.

Hi legs

Its just because of the difficult time associated with the song.But like Mellman said all memories are important.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
    • queenfan
      queenfan Member Posts: 563
      Options
      I'm with Nina I love queen hence the name, the one that strikes a a cord at the moment is the one by Vera Lyn we'll meet again don't know where don't know when, because everyone said my mom sang just like her, we had it played at her funeral
      & I held on to my close family singing it with all my might just for her
      Sue x
    • jaspercat
      jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
      Options
      Hi, my tune has to be: My first, my last, my everything by Barry White, this takes me back to getting engaged to Malcolm, we were driving along a quiet country lane in Cheshire, it was on the radio, Malcolm asked me to stop the car, got out and walked round to my side, opened my door and got down on one knee and asked me to marry him, naturally I said yes.

That is Malcolm always the romantic love Jaspercatxx
    • skezier
      skezier Member Posts: 11,333
      Options
      Hi Kate,

For me 'my' special song is Insomnia by Faithless........ No memory just it helped me shake out of a bad place that I was visiting and for that I love it :D Its any of the 7 versions (that I know of) but especially the 10" ones (four of them :D ) and well that and ........'someone' is a DJ cheer me up like no other. Goldfrapp's White Horse and Happiness as well as ANY Deadmau5 and funnily enough most 10" Lady Gaga are also good for me :D

The ones conected to events/happenings, well my brain has this huge stereo and a big music library in it and tends to choose for its self what backs what...... As a kid it often choose Dock in the Bay, at other times it chooses stuff like San Francisco Night, quite a few faithless tracks..... never Insomnia cus thats my conscious one..... Its all very complex my music backtracks :lol::lol::lol: I know this without it I should have fallen as a kid. Cris x