Behave or face the music !!

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 21. Jan 2010, 09:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

Bad behaviour at a school in Derby has been halved by playing classical music to unruly children. The headmaster has introduced 2-hour detentions, complete with Verdi and Mozart.

For one hour, the pupils have to listen to classical music in silence, then they are shown educational DVDs such as the history of maths, and finally they have half an hour to write up what they have learned.

These Bach to basics detentions seem to be working very well, and the school's GCSE results have improved as a result. One pupil ( Vicky Pollard? ) is quoted as saying, 'Last year was a nightmare. An hour of Mr. Walker's music is a real killer.' It seems to be an experience which the pupils are not keen to repeat, so it is a good deterrent.

Taken to its logical conclusion, it could be a much better and cheaper option than our present system of justice. Maybe a sentence of 6 months of Puccini, or 12 months of Handel would act as a far more effective deterrent than the soft sentences which are handed out to criminals at present.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    wonder why? a lot of the music they hear in adverts ect. so do not know why it would have them behaving.
    was trying to remember if i enjoyed clasical music when was that age and to tell the truth it would have sent me to sleep .as for spending half an hour writting about it no chance .
    i can never understand why if some one misbehaves enough they get expeled from school it is what many of them want.if they do not behave in class then they should have special rooms where they get sent and have to do boaring work no fun or treats. those that behave should get the treats and fun trips but i am old fashioned in my thoughts
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    valval wrote:
    wonder why? a lot of the music they hear in adverts ect. so do not know why it would have them behaving.
    was trying to remember if i enjoyed clasical music when was that age and to tell the truth it would have sent me to sleep .as for spending half an hour writting about it no chance .
    i can never understand why if some one misbehaves enough they get expeled from school it is what many of them want.if they do not behave in class then they should have special rooms where they get sent and have to do boaring work no fun or treats. those that behave should get the treats and fun trips but i am old fashioned in my thoughts

Listening to classical music, particularly Mozart, is known to have a calming effect, so maybe that helps. But I think a lot of kids would find it a strain to sit in silence for an hour listening to classical music, followed by boring DVDs.

The detentions are held for 2 hours after school on a Friday, so that would also act as a deterrent. It means the head and his deputy have to stay late on Fridays too in order to supervise it, but they think it is a much better alternative to suspending or expelling pupils.

By the way, you are NOT old-fashioned in your views. You could tell Ed Balls a thing or two, I'm sure :!: :lol:
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Joan, I saw this and I think it is hilariously funny! I really can't think of a better deterrent and I hope it's adopted countrywide if it works.

The only doubt I have is that some of them might be left with a phobia - musiphobia?

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Joan, I saw this and I think it is hilariously funny! I really can't think of a better deterrent and I hope it's adopted countrywide if it works.

The only doubt I have is that some of them might be left with a phobia - musiphobia?

Annie

Hi Annie

The only trouble now is that there will probably be a backlash against the head, and he will be accused of infinging their human rights by forcing them to listen to classical music :!: :roll:
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Our local bus station had a lot of problems with youths hanging around, graffiti, litter etc.

They installed a sound system and played classical music all day .... problems disappeared until the sound system broke - all started up again :roll:

The other day it was playing songs from the 50's & 60's all easy listening stuff. Seemed to be working at keeping the noise down :wink:

My only concern is that the use of classical music as a punishment goes right against the creative aspect currently being encouraged in schools.

perhaps I feel that way because they are using some of my favourite music ... if they were making them listen to Stravinsky or Stockhausen then I probably wouldn't mind that much :wink::lol::lol::lol:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Ok Joan so it works but it's not as much fun as zapping the little darlings with a cattle prod to instill a little bit of respect! :mrgreen:
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Isn't that what they did in The Clockwork Orange?

Make them listen to Der Ring des Nibelungen (Wagner's Ring Cycle) and they will never offend again.

Yes the did delboy, BUT, they pinned his eyes open and made him watch violence over and over again!!!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    if watching violence over and over makes them violent we should make them watch something sweet and nice over and over what do u think would work. everything seems to have some form of violence or smoking sound of music (war) mary popins (makeing young children cilmb chimleys)
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    I think this is a great idea.
    May be partly punishenment but would certainly be educational too :)
    I like your bus shelter too Wonky :wink:
    Toni x
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    valval wrote:
    if watching violence over and over makes them violent we should make them watch something sweet and nice over and over what do u think would work. everything seems to have some form of violence or smoking sound of music (war) mary popins (makeing young children cilmb chimleys)

In a clockwork Orange the idea was to brainwash by showing violence over and over, then when person saw or was involved with violence they would be ill.

And just what is wrong with children climbing chimneys? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Disclaimer; The above is a joke I do not advocate anyone pushing children up chimneys.
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Met a few who could do with being pushed up a chimney!

Annie
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Cattle prod and if that don't work labotomy with a blunt knife and rusty drill and no anesthetic.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Linda and Annie........ I went up a chimney a few times as a kid..... Good hiding place :lol::lol: We had an old ingle nook with the chimney boys stakes still in it and it was ok and well till I got cocky and said hello to my mother through the pot no-one knew where I used to hide..... Hope your both ok today? Cris x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I think it might be a good idea to include some of the parents in this detention. As well as the music, they could be made to watch DVDs about how to bring up children, or even be instructed in methods of contraception so that they didn't produce any more little horrors.

I have worked with many disruptive children over the years, and in almost every case, it was the parents who were to blame in one way or another.

Some dogs and cats get more love and attention than some of the kids I have met.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    They play classical music at our drs surgery. I've noticed how empty the waiting areas are these days. I don't think it's due to the music, because I find it very calming and relaxing and you find the children just sit and listen instead of getting fractious.

I went to my first Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta when i was 11 and loved it. Have loved some operas ever since. As one who seemed constantly to be in the wrong place at the wrong time at school and always seemed to be in a spot of bother, I would have loved having this played to me. I think it is a great shame that children don't get a lot more music at school. I use to love the last session on a Friday when the whole school got together and play precussion. I can remember setting all the instruments out in the hall. I'm going back to when I was at Newmarket Infant & Juniors school in the late 40's mind you. Later, at senior school, I sang in the school choir and naturally we studied the popular classics such as The Blue Danube and Ave Maria when I sang solo. I think it is a shame that children have to look upon it as a punishment instead of studying the composers and their works.

Joy
  • annie_mial
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Isn't that what they did in The Clockwork Orange?

Make them listen to Der Ring des Nibelungen (Wagner's Ring Cycle) and they will never offend again.

Not sure that's such a good idea, Del. I like some parts, but the whole is rather indigestable. Might make them worse!

Annie