Does anyone live in York?

Options
salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 21. Jan 2010, 07:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've got some friends coming to the UK next July and they want to go somewhere very English and thought of York. I don't know anything about the city and wondered whether any of you could give me any tips to pass on to them? I think they would like to see a bit of countryside too. There are two families with children aged 18 down to 1 1/2 so have a wide range of interests. The teenages want to go clubbing, apparently!

I would be grateful for any info at all.
Thanks.
Sally

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    I've got some friends coming to the UK next July and they want to go somewhere very English and thought of York. I don't know anything about the city and wondered whether any of you could give me any tips to pass on to them? I think they would like to see a bit of countryside too. There are two families with children aged 18 down to 1 1/2 so have a wide range of interests. The teenages want to go clubbing, apparently!

I would be grateful for any info at all.
    Thanks.
    Sally

HI Sally,

I live about 30 miles from York, in East Yorkshire.

Del is right that certain parts of york are very touristy, but there are some good shops, a real variety of local & national shops, and there are lots of museums .... yorvik (vikings) castle museum, railway museum (I think that is free but check because at half terms they often have special events and then they charge a fortune!) etc.

There is also the minster which is worth a visit - or perhaps to walk around the City walls - you get a really different view on the city. Mind you have to have a head for heights and be prepared to go up and down a fair few steps :roll:

For countryside the North York moors is really the place to go ..... There is the NYM steam railway (goes through Heartbeat country) which is really family friendly. If they want to do some good walks then Dalby Forest is good - lots of graded trails & activities.

Have you tried ringing the Tourist Information in York? If you do they woudl probably send you some info for your friends.

I woudl recommend that if they are driving they use the park and ride facilities - very efficient and MUCH cheaper than parking in York itself :wink:

can't help you with regard to clubbing ... need someone younger :wink: :oops:
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Sally

I'm in North Yorkshire, not far from York and think it would be just what they are looking for. Yes it is touristy but they are tourists after all. :? Lots of people from overseas visit.
    Lots of history, York minster, Castle Museum, Viking centre. (with real viking smells!!!) Quaint shops in cobbled streets. National railway museum (yawn) but little one might like thomas the tank engine, and little boys never grow up!! Oh am sure much more I have forgotten. Can you google York or check at the library for info.
    It is a University town so must have a night life for the older children, with all the pubs and restuarant that go with that but haven't dabbled myself. They really must go for a cup of tea in the famous Betty tea shop but pricey!!
    Yes definately in reach of North York Moors, and Heartbeat country if you watched it, Haworth Brontes etc etc. I could go on but how long have they got?
    Only snag I can think of may be driving or parking in City as lots of people prefer bicycles. They are everywhere. :shock:
    Wherever they stay hope they enjoy their visit.
    Chris
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Wonky

We cross posted there but I hope seem to be saying the same things. Hope that helps Sally.
    Chris
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Wonky

We cross posted there but I hope seem to be saying the same things. Hope that helps Sally.
    Chris

at least we agreed! :wink:

You thought of other things too ... it really is hard to think of everything ..... like we didn't even mention the river cruises, theatre, art gallery ........ :lol::lol::lol:

hopefully they will get some ideas
  • salamander
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    I found York a bit touristy, underwhelmed by the Minster and bored by the railway museum.

The Yorkshire Moors however are wonderful and there's Robin Hoods Bay too (The end of the Pennine Way) but not sure if there's any clubbing to be done there, bit old for that. icon_funky-dance.gif

thanks Delboy, My Mum used to tell me stories about Robin Hoods Bay, how my sister took the handbrake off the car at the top of a hill. I've always wanted to go back as I was too young to remember.
    xx
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. Sensible idea to get in touch with tourist board (duh!) but also wanted any local tips. Sounds a good place - I think the cobbled lanes etc. is exactly what they would like, some of them are coming from Argentina so very different! Also, must be good clubs if University town.

xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Are they planning on visiting London?Pretty much everything there.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suziev
    suziev Member Posts: 252
    Options
    yes york meant to be a good night out and don't forget there is horse racing there too!
    very good bus system and ofcourse main line station on the east coast so can go lots of places by train and ofcourse as wonky says the NYMR, from which runs through to whitby from pickering. ( have to big them up as hubby is a firemen for them!)

wonky and chris where do you both live? am north yorks on the edge of the border with cleveland, in captain cooks home town of
    great ayton!
    suzie x
  • salamander
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Are they planning on visiting London?Pretty much everything there.
    Elizabeth

Yep, they will. My friend used to live in London so knows it well, as I do!!
  • salamander
    Options
    thanks Suzie. I'll pass the info on.
    x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    suziev wrote:
    wonky and chris where do you both live? am north yorks on the edge of the border with cleveland, in captain cooks home town of
    great ayton!
    suzie x

I'm in Beverley - East Yorkshire ....... so not that far away.

lived in Scarborough for 4 years when I was at college - Great ayton that bit nearer then! Loved Boggle hole & Whitby as well as Robin Hoods Bay. Have even climbed Rosebury topping a time or two (when arthur was not in evidence :wink: )
  • suziev
    suziev Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    suziev wrote:
    great ayton!
    suzie x

I'm in Beverley - East Yorkshire ....... so not that far away.

lived in Scarborough for 4 years when I was at college - Great ayton that bit nearer then! Loved Boggle hole & Whitby as well as Robin Hoods Bay. Have even climbed Rosebury topping a time or two (when arthur was not in evidence :wink: )

hiya

thanks for your reply.

your right your not that far away, i've not been up the topping in years but my little boy of 4 drags his dad up often!
    hope you managed to sample an ice cream when you visited :lol:

suzie x