Taxi Service

Options
moonseed
moonseed Member Posts: 289
edited 29. Jan 2010, 10:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Morning all,
It's 6.45 am. Sitting here in agony, and thinking about a visit I made to my local wool shop in the summer.
I don't get to visit much but when I do, it's by black cab which costs me in between £15 and £20 just to get there.
The owner's name is Jean who is a friend of mine, saw me get out of the cab and pay the driver.
When I got into the shop she mentioned that I could get a card that disabled people like myself can get for free which allows so many local journeys per month for getting to the hospital and things like that.
Do any of you have such a card and if you do, how did you get it please and where from?
I wondered if it is a London thing too, or does it cover the whole Country?
If it's anything like Attendance Allowance do let me know and I just won't bother.
Thanks all.
Steph.

PS Just realised I might have posted this message in the wrong place. Sorry!

Comments

• moonseed
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    I've not heard of that scheme but in Brum there is Ring & Ride where they collect you from home and take you back providing you meet their eligibilty criteria. Have look on your local tranport providers website to see if they have something similar.

Thanks for the info Delboy. There is a similar thing here too but it picks up groups of people from their homes one at a time and then takes them altogether to the local club and a sing song/bingofor a meal or whatever.
    Steph
  • moonseed
    Options
    over here we can have a buss pass or tokens ...........mind you there fazing out the tokens now! :lol: apply to your local council steph :wink:

Hi Pixy,
    I do have a bus pass too. (I thought everyone in the Country had one of these).
    Trouble is, it's not much good when you can't stand up for longer than a minute at a time. The bus journey alone would keep me in bed for a week when I got home. But thanks for the info.

The reason I have asked about this black cab service is, that I know for a fact that it does exist but knowledge of it seems to be deliberately withheld by whoever hands out the cards.
    I asked the last cab driver that took me about it. He apparently takes a lot of people with these cards which are swiped like a Viza and he gets paid on a weekly basis from it.
    He did not know however, where these people got their cards from.

My guess and it is only a guess, is that the local council are the providers but am not sure.

Thanks again for the infor. I might just give them a ring today and find out.

If the outcome is a positive one, I will post it on here so we can all get something we should have been told about a long time ago. OK.

Cheers,
    Steph.

PS. Perhaps the moderators know something about this "service"
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Steph

In Derbyshire, we have a community bus service for disabled and elderly people, which picks people up outside their homes if necessary. It has wheelchair access. It is run by the county council. Have you enquired if there is anything similar run by your council :?:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi
    Here in Staffs we have a taxi token scheme....can you ring your local council to see if they have one.
    Love
    Toni x
  • moonseed
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Steph

In Derbyshire, we have a community bus service for disabled and elderly people, which picks people up outside their homes if necessary. It has wheelchair access. It is run by the county council. Have you enquired if there is anything similar run by your council :?:

Joan

HI Joan,
    Thanks for your message.
    Yes, they do have such a service on the outskirts of Richmond but not in Richmond itself. There are not too many people actually living here, it is mostly a posh shopping area, (the 2nd West End if you like).
    Anyway, the people who do live here are a bit snotty to say the least and have their own means of transport.
    Plus it's hard enough getting housing benefit paid properly from the council let alone a disabled bus service!
    Steph
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    moonseed wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Steph

Joan

HI Joan,
    Thanks for your message.
    Yes, they do have such a service on the outskirts of Richmond but not in Richmond itself. There are not too many people actually living here, it is mostly a posh shopping area, (the 2nd West End if you like).
    Anyway, the people who do live here are a bit snotty to say the least and have their own means of transport.
    Plus it's hard enough getting housing benefit paid properly from the council let alone a disabled bus service!
    Steph

Hi Steph

I think Derbyshire C C is very good in its services for disabled and elderly people. It is a shame that not all councils are as good.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • moonseed
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi
    Here in Staffs we have a taxi token scheme....can you ring your local council to see if they have one.
    Love
    Toni x

Hi Toni,

Yes thanks for the info and I have mentioned it above. My point is that it is information that is not generally known about.
    This information is being withheld!!
    Why should I have to rely on the kindness of other people to tell me about this so called "service".
    The council was put in place to provide services. They are not doing this.
    From my own experience and story's I hear from others, they are more of a hindrance than a help.

Sorry, getting a bit worked up here.
    Have a nice day and keep warm.
    Steph
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    moonseed wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi
    Love
    Toni x

Hi Toni,

Yes thanks for the info and I have mentioned it above. My point is that it is information that is not generally known about.
    Why should I have to rely on the kindness of other people to tell me about this so called "service".
    From my own experience and story's I hear from others, they are more of a hindrance than a help.

Steph

the trouble these days is that docs and such like do not live in local area so do not know what available so can not tell gone is the day when people lived and worked in an area and every one knew what was what now it hard work to find out .but do feel local practices should have this info on show for people to see
    val
  • moonseed
    Options
    valval wrote:
    moonseed wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi
    Love
    Toni x

Hi Toni,

Steph

the trouble these days is that docs and such like do not live in local area so do not know what available so can not tell gone is the day when people lived and worked in an area and every one knew what was what now it hard work to find out .but do feel local practices should have this info on show for people to see

I totally agree with you. I get annoyed because I get so much literature coming through the letterbox about where to put my old newspapers and glass bottles etc etc etc but not a THING about what they can do for US.
    THEY are supposed to be the "SERVICE" not us!!!

Steph
    Sorry I'm losing it a bit.
  • valval
    Options
    i tend to agree we get told take you bottles here or there we do not have a car how do we do that lol . they never tell what u want to know.
    val
  • valval
    Options
    could not even find our area on here lol well not my town and find it difficult to work out what area i am in lol
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Steph,
    It is dial-a-ride we have round here.It is usually in charity newsletters.Thats how you find anything out round here.I dont use it as have mobility car at the moment but I will take a look around as I know the info is in leaflets somewhere,
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • moonseed
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Steph,
    It is dial-a-ride we have round here.It is usually in charity newsletters.Thats how you find anything out round here.I dont use it as have mobility car at the moment but I will take a look around as I know the info is in leaflets somewhere,
    Elizabeth

Hi there Elizabeth,
    I would love to see it if it is written down somewhere. Let me know if you find it.
    Much thanks
    Steph
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hi Steph.
    my sister and i use dial a ride they do door to door for people that have problems gettting on buss's as they have a ramp. you do pay them are funded by the council there is also vouchers as well
    i go every where by them. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Steph
    Have sent you a Pm about dial a ride door to door service.I think you get tokens to use to order taxis.I have sent you the phone number.There are some qualifying factors which if you dont receive you will need an assessment of your walking ability.An old family friend uses the service.
    I have heard there have been problems with the service but dont know what they are.
    I had
    Take care a clear out of my cupboards to find the info that is why it took so long to reply.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein