Hello All

fester
fester Member Posts: 98
edited 22. Jan 2010, 13:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my names Steven 51 years old with a long history of RA and AS since i started with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis when i was 10/11 years old.

Since then i had a shoulder replacement, three hip replacements (my right hip is now 34 years old and keeps threatening to go on me before settling down again for a while).

I ended up finishing work at 34 years old due to constant flareups in my condition and felt like i've been on the scrapheap ever since.

I got married to my darling wife in '95' and could'nt wish for a better person by my side though she too has major problems in that she has arthritis in her knee's, had a tkr in her right knee last August and the procedure failed and using crutches ever since,not very sucessfully may i add due to now other problems in her lower spine and hips plus the constant pain (liquid morphine plus other pain relief). Now she's waiting for a revision but has been told she must wait at least 12 month, at this moment we dont't why (idea's anyone? )

Anyway i've now had enough with my constant pain,stiffness etc (i was actually contemplating suicide last year i was that depressed though i still have my bad days) and been referred back to a rheumatologist who basically told me i should never have been discharged from the clinic. Now i'm going to various departments x-ray,lung function,mri etc to catch up on my condition and hopefully after a 3 month wait (thanks for nothing N.I.C.E) going on anti-tnf.

Wow sorry to go on, this was supposed to be in introduction not a novel :roll: .Hope to get involved in some of the discussions and hopefully find out more about anti-tnf and personal experiances of it. Thanks for reading and glad to be here :D

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hello and welcome!
    sounds like you and your wife really are struggling, sorry to hear that. arthritis is a horrible thing.
    i to have RA started about 3 yrs ago. i've just started Leflunomide, yesterday to be exact. i'm hoping it helps.
    feel free to moan, rant, complain or have a laugh here, everyone is friendly and supportive and because we all have arthritis of some sort we all understand and often have moans to!
    glad you've found the site and hopefully you'll get hel from your rheumy very soon.
    sue
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi fester and welcome,

I too have JIA - was diagnosed aged 7 but have been very fortunate to have quite long periods of remission. Relapsed in June of last year and have just started taking sulpha in an effort to control it.

Sounds like you both have had quite a rough ride - I really hope things start improving for you. I have no personal experience of anti-tnf but have heard wonderful things about it...although not so wonderful things about the fight to get on it in the first place!

Please don't apologise for moaning. It makes the rest of us feel better knowing we're not the only ones with something to moan about!

Lois x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Steven

A big welcome from me.

We try to support one another on the Forums, you are now one of the family.

If you need to rant, then rant have a moan then have one. We all do this at some point. You will find it helps.

I hope to see you posting soon.

Trisher xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Steven
    Welcome to the forum.Maybe your beloved can join too?Sorry to read all the suffering you have endured and how low you got last year.I hope we can help you with good company and advice.
    Anti- tnf has helped me a lot so I hope it will work for you.I have had R.A for ten years and feel I have lost a lot but then again I have become a less selfish person because of it.
    Look forward to seeing you postin around.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • edenrose
    edenrose Member Posts: 1
    Hi I would just like to ask if you have had any negative reactions to anti tnf, I have had a persistant cough now for months and feeling fed up with it all.[/quote]
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Steven

Welcome. What a good idea of Elizabeths. :D Your dearest could join too! You have certainly both been through it. You will both more than likely be able to give us lots of good advice and tips. We are all here to help one another and offer advice, support and sympathy.

Hope to hear more from you soon on the other zones.

Look after yourselves,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Steven, Just want to say a big welcome to this forum there are lots of people on here to support you and one another, I have just learnedhow many types of arthur there are.
    Please join us ask question, have a moan and have a laugh with us.
    You take care
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara