Is anyone a Primary School teacher?

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, we do know what it's like so please post again on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum because I am sure you will gain more replies on there - not many look in on here.

I was a teacher, then a self-employed tutor for dyslexics and now I can't do that either. Hey-ho. I am in my seventeenth year of arthriits (I have an auto-immune plus osteo) and it ain't fun. Please post again - you are talking to an empathetic audience who have all 'been there and done that' on the diagnosis front. It can take a while because there are so many forms of the auto-immune version. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you DD, I'll pop in there too. S :D
  • Nat4
    Nat4 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello!

We're here to help!! These wonderful people on here got me through the darker days early on in being diagnosed!! I am so grateful! I was diagnosed with RA nearly two months ago. It was a relief to know what was wrong after years of suffering and an absolutely horrific time at my current school...let's just say they were not as understanding as you might like to hope!!

I agree entirely with the problem with meds- I've been on the ceiling, high as a kite and pumped full of steroids. I've been a different person and it's been v scary but you learn how to manage the meds. I've found heat pads very good and trying to keep moving! I do very gentle exercise when I feel up to it. The main thing is listening to your body. I've found disturbed sleep very hard to deal with, but in the end I just get up, read my book and try to get comfortable the best I can. I've learnt to keep calm and relax a bit more!!

I'm still learning about my disease and I know there is a lot I don't know about yet...there will be good days and bad days but most importantly I'm stating positive. In a funny sort of way, the disease has made me a stronger person!

I too am signed off work at the moment - it's tough because all I want is to be with my class and do my job! However, this is short-term and our bodies are the most important thing at the moment! School is always going to be there!! Let's look after ourselves :-) TLC is what we need!!
    Keep in touch on here :-) Always good to chat!! Love Nat xxxxxx
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks DD and Nat,
    I'm sorry to hear you had to stop teaching DD and that you've had a hard time at school Nat you're right it will still be there!!

I'm doing so much searching with Dr google at the moment because I feel that the real doctors are dragging their heels. I'm worried about my appointment on Friday with the consultant because I feel like a fraud, I'm sometimes ok and then I'm not... There doesn't seem to be any reason for this and I'm a bit cross that I have been told for so long that its not my back its just sciatica when that's caused by a back problem (feel like a proper wally for not googling sciatica for sooooooo long!!)

I'm shattered, walking the 10 mins to school for my boys wears me out, I was running (lmao) a bit late this afternoon and ended up with more pain because I rushed and got tense at the thought of them being at the school gate without me being there, as a teacher I know they will be looked after but as a mum I hate them coming out first.

I teach EYFS and I'm terrified that the OH will decide I need to be using larger chairs and I'll end up in Y6!!!! I love my job and want to be back but I know it will cause me pain.

Well I'll find out more on Friday, I'm kind of hoping its not a "you crazy fool, it's all in your head" result and yet I don't really want a scary diagnosis of anything else....

Thanks,

Smamfa
  • Nat4
    Options
    OH were really lovely to me and have been very supportive - they will help do exactly what's right for you and the idea is that you will keep doing the job that you love. I teach year 1 - little chairs also but 'reasonable adjustments' can be made so it should be ok.

Good luck for Friday!! It's the nature of the beast, fluctuating bad days and better days, chronic to mild pain - that's normal!! The best thing is knowing what you're dealing with - tackle it from there, making positive steps!

Things WILL get better!! :-) xoxoxox
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Nat, it's good to hear from you again. I am pleased that OH were responsive - that's not always the case and let's hope their help helps you as it should. Apart from that, how's things? DD
  • Nat4
    Options
    Hi DD!

Yes i was pleasently surprised by how aupportive the OH nurse was, she was appalled at how badly my school have treated me and has personally made sure that things are going right by me now!

I've started taking methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine...if that's how you spell it!! Making me feel v v sick but i'm sure the benefits wil tell in a few weeks time, fingers crossed!! I've started doing a bit of gentle swimming, really helping and improving my general mood!!

How are you DD? Hope things are getting better. So lovely to be in touch with you guys on here!! We can help and support each other! :lol:

Love Nat xoxoxoxoxo
  • Mrsl
    Mrsl Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi I'm a nursery ta. I have just been given a diagnosis of OA in my ankle I have suffered with pain for years though I find I can through the day afternoon can be a struggle it's when I get home that I then really struggle to do the chores etc. I'm 33 and new here.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Mrsl, I can empathise because I too have ankle OA. Not many people look in on here, if you re-post on the Living with Arthritis board on here you may garner more replies and find some useful tips and hints to help you devise your own coping strategies. I wish you well. DD