What are your roads like?

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 24. Jan 2010, 17:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
It ahs always been nice to come home from our holidays and see Didcot powers station off on the horizon(strange but true)but there is also one other thing that informs you your back in Oxfordshire and that’s the state of the roads, by god they are falling to bits round here,I have only driven on worse roads and that was in Africa, so what state are the roads where you live?.

Comments

• mellman01
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Roads?[/quote] rehab.

Yeah good point chap!.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    We haven't got any roads, either, just a series of potholes.

Annie
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Same up here no roads just potholes.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 24. Jan 2010, 19:46
    Options
    So you have problems with your roads. We now have normal potholes as well as inverted potholes.

Take a look at http://www.greatwyrley.org.uk/home.aspx Now we have real problems with our village roads, including the Worst Hump in Britain.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    same probs here and where they have filled them in they forgot to smooth it down so it 1inch taller than rest of road stupid or what. as i walk every where i keep getting wet by kind motorists racing through the holes full of water at the side of the roads. one of these days i will fall down one and never be seen again hhhheeelllppp
    val
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    worst i have ever seen this year.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    You should try living in London, somebody digs them up every two months. It surprising I have any suspension left in my car at all. Last year I broke two shock absorbers on speed humps. The snow has made the potholes worse of course.

Mellman, I used to love seeing Didcot power station in the distance as well. Didcot not so hot close up though, went to school there.
  • mellman01
    Options
    sally36 wrote:
    You should try living in London, somebody digs them up every two months. It surprising I have any suspension left in my car at all. Last year I broke two shock absorbers on speed humps. The snow has made the potholes worse of course.

Mellman, I used to love seeing Didcot power station in the distance as well. Didcot not so hot close up though, went to school there.

High Sally yeah I know what you mean about Didcot power station I have been there for over 9 years and close up it's not so great, inside it's like Dantes inferno, 3 summers ago it was 54deg OC up on the top boiler level, by heck when the lift doors opened I expected to see a guy with a red pointy tail and holding a trident to be waiting for me.It was so hot even with golves on you couldn't touch the steel work for to long.
  • salamander
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    sally36 wrote:

High Sally yeah I know what you mean about Didcot power station I have been there for over 9 years and close up it's not so great, inside it's like Dantes inferno, 3 summers ago it was 54deg OC up on the top boiler level, by heck when the lift doors opened I expected to see a guy with a red pointy tail and holding a trident to be waiting for me.It was so hot even with golves on you couldn't touch the steel work for to long.

Gosh! I didn't realise you worked there! I have never been inside, must be very interesting place.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Yes it is Sally god I will never look at a light switch in the same way again, it's running around there that finished my knees off, you wouldn't imagine how dirty hot oily and noisey it is the whole place is full of ash and coal dust, each boiler has 48 coal burners supplied by 8 coal mills, these have 10 1 ton steel balls spinning round in them, coal is dropped in from above crushed then blown up to the boiler burners,these start at 39 feet and go on up to 97 feet as i said before there are 48, plus these a each have an oil burner that si the length and size of a 21 foot scafold pole.
    the steam comes out the top of the boiler at a height of 165 feet.
    it's 568 deg C and 165 bar or around 2400 psi, really hot stuff. then comes all the way down to the turbine at 25 feet off the floor.

Right that's enough of me boring you for now!.
  • salamander
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Yes it is Sally god I will never look at a light switch in the same way again, it's running around there that finished my knees off, you wouldn't imagine how dirty hot oily and noisey it is the whole place is full of ash and coal dust, each boiler has 48 coal burners supplied by 8 coal mills, these have 10 1 ton steel balls spinning round in them, coal is dropped in from above crushed then blown up to the boiler burners,these start at 39 feet and go on up to 97 feet as i said before there are 48, plus these a each have an oil burner that si the length and size of a 21 foot scafold pole.
    the steam comes out the top of the boiler at a height of 165 feet.
    it's 568 deg C and 165 bar or around 2400 psi, really hot stuff. then comes all the way down to the turbine at 25 feet off the floor.

Right that's enough of me boring you for now!.

No, it's fascinating :D Seriously though, I do think power stations are things of beauty and it would be interesting to have a look round.