Vicks Vapour Rub ....Works For My Stiffness

Options
bluebeard
bluebeard Member Posts: 260
edited 30. Jan 2010, 11:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
dont know if its supposed to, or if its just the action of rubbing it into my foot and ankle.......but it works for me to relieve stiffness and some pain

same sort of effect as olbas oil ?

or at the otehr end of the scale deep heat or fiery jack etc

Comments

• countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    blue beard, I once used` Firery Jack' and came up in huge blisters! Never agian! :x and chased the `old man' around the house with it if he did'nt behave himself, to be consigned to a similar fate! :shock:
    vicks vapour rub? whats in this now, glycerine and menthol? Menthol used alot in massage oils and herby creams. I will give it a whirl. :P :D
  • bluebeard
    Options
    I think vicks is the same as it ever was...methol ? ecalyptus ?

its just I always remember my gran rubbing it in to our backs and chest when we had aches and pains from flu etc ?

I think its probably just that......something that takes the pains away a bit ...but isnt anything medical
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Your lucky your gran rubbed it on your back and chest! My mother, the dozey b****r, rubbed it on my face, especially `under the nose' when I was a kid and had a raw, sore one to begin with! :x I could have slapped her!
    So long as you have `no open wounds' ok?
  • bluebeard
    Options
    yes, its very strong stuff
    !!!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    A lot of mothers must have been the same then LOL....Thats what my mother did.....also put it up my nostrils LOL Oh well I survived.
    I've read this somewhere else about vick on your feet ...actually what I read was to relieve a cough.....havent tried it as yet but will if I need to

Love
    Hileena
  • bluebeard
    Options
    give it a try

I use vicks, deep heat , algesal

I have been told that the very act of massaging of the area in pain is helpful

all of the creams do the same sort of thing according to my doctor...they warm up the area, which increases blood circulation ...which reduces paina nd stiffness

and the warmth that they bring...through menthol and the various indgredients ....makes you think less about the pain

in terms of cost...as they all do the same thing really.....I find transvasin the best .......its about £2

deep heat, ralgex, radian b etc ...all a lot more expensive , but do the same thing