DLA Appeal

Options
controversial
controversial Member Posts: 24
edited 27. Jan 2010, 15:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
So I've finally got my tribunal letter, and am expecting it to be soon.

I just wondered how bad you actually have to be to get help?

I find walking very, very painful. I have to do it, I have no choice, but I take a lot of tramadol before I do and every single step hurts. So I should get some mobility, right?

I know I qualify for care, although they don't seem to realize that. Mobility is baffling me, though.

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They are making everything very,very difficult(but not impossible)to claim. I find that if I do a bit of walking my back and feet start to hurt so I am then struggling even with crutches so would my mobility be judged on earlier in the day(when not so painful) or later when I have to lie down and then find everything seizes up.

You just have to do your best at explaining how painful walking can be and what help you require with everyday tasks...dressing/washing/cooking etc.I suppose at an appeal they can double check your original answers on the claim form to make sure they are consistent and to see how you are whilst in front of them.They are clearly trying to cut down the amount of people claiming so have moved the goalposts.Yes you should be getting some mobility and a blue badge to cut down on the distance required to walk but nowadays I just dont know what qualifies anymore!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I've read in the guardian that during appeals 50% of the orginial claims turned down are overturned. Which just goes to show how sloppy the assessments are. My advice to you is not to take any tramadol on the day of your tribunal and let them see how bad you actually are.
    Sally
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    The best advice I ever had was to put down your worse possible day as you will need the help in place then.
    I'm currently reapplying as my condition has got worse over the past year (one of the questions is why hadn't I reapplied in the past 3 months - my reply was that I had hoped the downturn was temporary alas sadly not). I've received DLA in one form or another since 2002 and I'm a little worried that I will get turned down. But I've not exactly got better!! So should I be worried?

Its a fairly depressing form but I love the fact that they ask if you have problems filling in forms at about page 16 rather than page 1! By that point you've (or in my case hubbie as I can't write that much) filled in most of the form.
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Controversial,

I agree with Jenzie.

The one that hit the nail on the head for me is that my better days are still not as good a normal person's bad day.

Appeals are horrible, I sat through one and must admit they are not nice. Good luck on your appeal and keep us updated.

Take care xxxxxx

Eve
  • controversial
    controversial Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you :)

I'm still trying to find someone who can help me, the CAB near me just aren't interested and there isn't a DIAL very close.
    They included my ESA medical notes, which at one point say my disability does affect walking, and that I struggled to walk 10 metres slowly, but later says I can walk 30 metres...

Any tips would be really appreciated!
  • chile168
    Options
    Contraversial are you in Kent cos if so I may be able to give you a number and they do home visits

??????

Eve
  • chile168
    Options
    Yes - do you stop when walking to have a rest? If so how many steps do you do before stopping? Do you try and hold onto something when taking a rest?

I am not able to judge mathematically 10, 15 mtrs yards etc so I counted my steps and even then they vary. I may take 2 steps and need to rest then 10 the 2 again so on. Think about the difficulties you have when you walk also like

Breathless
    Pain
    Resting
    Holding on to something
    Back hurting etc

All of that helps to give them a picture of what you face daily. Give as much details as possible. First time I filled in my form I thought they would want bullet points but it went against me. I gave an essay in every answer from then on.

Eve
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I've got my ESA tribunal coming up (although they are so slow it could be months so I'm not losing any sleep over it). Its quite a daunting thought but I'm not going to it alone. I'm taking moral support and I'm also sending off letters from my GP and OT before the tribunal so that they might change their mind (Some hope).

Have you been to see an Occupational Therapist? They would be able to write an assessment to say what you can/can't do.

I'm just taking as much information and letters from numerous health professionals to support my case and just be open and honest about how it affects you.

Does that help?
  • chile168
    Options
    Controversial,

Sorry hun - have you had to buy gadgets to help you. Soap pumps, electrical can openers etc - adaptations . Don't forget to mention all of that.

There normally 4 people in an appeal and a clerk.

You can take someone who help you alot but unfortunately they cannot speak for you, good for moral support though.

Make sure you give them the full picture on how your disabilities affect you and not of your better days.

I think that is it - It try not to keep knocking lol

Eve
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    I feel for you...
    As well as dealing with arthur you must also be feeling very stressed...
    Your walking sounds very much like me...and I also take Tramadol before walking...
    I get awarded high rate mobility and as well as the things other people of mentioned I also mentioned how exhausted i was afterwards...I also mentioned that it would be easier not to walk..but joints HAVE to moved otherwise we get worse...
    Good luck...
    Im more than happy to help anyone get DLA as i feel that anyone with arthur struggles :(
    I live in Manchester...
    Love
    Kay
    xx