oww my jaw! ideas?

Options
dopeykit
dopeykit Member Posts: 107
edited 18. Apr 2010, 10:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Uh had crazy pain on both sides of my jaw for the last few days and its getting annoying. I thought it might be me finally getting my wisdom teeth (at 27) but no...it feels like the psoriatic arthritis. Is that even possible?

Does anyone have any pain relief tips - I'm bored of being silent and hungry.

Thanks

Kit
www.cookingwitharthur.com
Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kit!

Aw your poor soul!':(' that's a rotten place to have arther...':roll:'

I have PsA too and had a 'spell' of jaw pain some time ago......does it feel as though it's in the 'hinges' where your jaw meets the side of your head?
    It's very painful and at the time I had it I could hardly open my mouth and my speech was slurred! Came as some surprise to me too to know it was arther causing it...':shock:'

I found heat the best way of getting some relief and that a hot water bottle against my face worked best. I also contacted the rheumy at the time and had change in prescription too; thankfully I haven't had jaw pain since being on biologics.

Worth speaking to your rheumy nurse Kit. Hope you get relief from the pain soon and can eat properly again. Let us know how you get on. Iris x
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks Iris - yes it's exactly where you mention. Very weird - I do sound a bit drunk! The heatpack is a good idea I'll try that. Normally I tubigrip anything sore - not so easy for a head.

I'm still waiting an ultrasound scan on my joints before I get dmards so I'm going to break out the tramadol today. Haven't got used to being able to call the nurse yet but you are right I should do that. It's all still so new to me being able to label random pains etc...

kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Kit
    This happened to me too!
    I opened my gob too wide a week or so back...there was a click....and it really hurt....then it got stuck almost shut!!!
    Saw dentist who advied to take tabs regularly till it settles in order to relax the msucles around the jaw. It doesn't go next time I go he will make a gum sheild to stop me gritting my teeth.
    Apparently a natural thing to do when you are in pain.
    I will be mentioning it to my rheumy when I go next month :wink:
    Teach me to talk too much!
    Toni x
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Have you tried wheat bags you put in the microwave? They are usually good.

Lucia
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hiya,

I suffer with ra in the jaw and it really hurts and its just so painful. I find to at least use heat and painkillers. I also understand how it can make you feel (low, unable to eat ect). Just try and keep positive and lots of heat!

x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    just bringing this back up for Marion!

Iris x
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Thanks Iris - very helpful..

Marion
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    mine sort of got stuck then crunched hurt like anything after and clickes on left side think arther again where next do the gum shields cost much because when in pain wake up with jaw aching from clenching it while asleep
    val
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Kit you poor thing - that is a nightmare - talking and eating difficult. Hope the wheatie bags and rhumy nurses between them come up with some relief. You could use a traditional strip of crepe bandage to hold a wheatie bag under your chin and up both sides and knot on top of your head. Couldn't go out like it - but ok in the privacy of your own home!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.