HIP REPLACEMENT

Options
jackiev
jackiev Member Posts: 9
edited 31. Jan 2010, 13:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am VERY SOON to have my hip replacement surgery and have been quite encouraged by some of the comments as to being able to resume a 'normal' life after..... :)
What is concerning me however I am hearing that quite often is that the other hip eventually needs replacement..??
Is this the 'norm'....?....
I have to say I am a bit concerned by this.... :shock:

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

It's not always the case and often depends on which type of arthritis you have. The greatest problem is that you use your good hip more and walk differently to compensate and to protect the bad hip and this in turn puts stress on the good hip.

After the op you will walk normally again relieving your good hip so don't worry too much.

Hope it all goes well.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

As Legs said its not a forgone conclusion but I think both get worse if neither is done. With luck it will be a long way off and just remember with the bad one 'better' the other will have a much lighter load on it. Good luck and I really hope your soon home again. Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Can't answer your question, although I do know I have oa in both hips, but one is a lot more painful.

Just to say Good Luck with your op.
    Love Sue
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Jacky.
    i fell over and broke my left hip and i had to have a thr my right leg had to take more strain [i have c palsy on my right side] so i ended up having to have a tkr and now i have arther in my right hip.
    i dont want to worry you.
    good luck with your opp.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    hi jackiev

i want to wish you loads of luck for your hip op....
    good luck and dont worry about the other hip, just concerntrate on getting the operated one up and running first !!!! best wishes and hugs Sally.xxxx :D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jackie

I agree with Sally! Get this hip operation over first. Save all your energy for the new hip and worry about the other one IF and when it occurs!

My mum did have both hips done, but it was years inbetween.

I wish you well with your op. Hope you get a date through real soon.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I had a LTHR last Feb. I need surgery on my other hip due to hip dysplasia , to correct the shape etc, but I do not need a THR in that hip. However, this does not mean I won`t ever need one, but as yet I do not have much OA in that hip.
    So its not always a foregone conclusion that you will need a THR in the other hip. It depends of lots of factors.
    Good luck with your op. If you need any advice please ask, and I will try to help xx
    NB
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK on your operation.

Love xxxxxxx

Eve
  • karenjane
    karenjane Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Just to say good luck and that my Mum had a hip replacement some 15 years ago - she sailed thro it, really good recovery and hasn't looked back since - touch wood the other hip is fine!

Karen
    x
  • deemac
    deemac Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Jackie good luck with your op cant give you any advice on hips as my problem is knees but i wish you well xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi there

Good luck with the operation and your life will certainly be changed.

Does it mean that maybe one leg will be a different length to the other afterwards. That could lead to problems I would have thought and put added strain on the other leg.

Whatever transpires, do take care and don't overdo it afterwards

all the best
    Joy
  • jackiev
    jackiev Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I would like to say to you all a very big thank you for your words of comfort.....and optimism.... :)

I am just trying to concentrate on the recovery after my surgery and not think about the before too much..... :roll:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Jacky
    Just to say Good Luck.......mine is due 12th February....when he x-rayed them both he said that they would both have to be replaced but that after I had recovered from the first one they would do another x ray and check if it was necessary.....I'm not thinking about the 2nd one....I'm just thinking about my post op recovery LOL
    Its not a foregone conclusion as far as I know

Love
    hileena
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi, just want to wish jackiev and hileena111 and anyone else waiting for a hip replacement imminently, good wishes for a safe and speedy recovery :wink: Im nearly 6 months post op and its had a really positive effect on mine and my families life. I still get up every day and Im in awe at my surgeons skill at getting rid of the awful pain, he must be a genius ha! I went one day at a time and let the rest take care of itself :wink: I can only report positive things about having a THR, Im 42 and feel 22 now, good luck to you all jk