One,two three four, five, six

Options
cherrybim
cherrybim Member Posts: 334
edited 26. Jan 2010, 13:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a right TKR in October and now have a pre op assessment for my left hip next week. The Orthopod says he's going to do my right hip next and then my left knee followed by my feet. :?

Whilst I was in hos the lady opposite had had both hips done at the same time (although that was 11 years ago and in a different hospital but within the same health authority)

As there are so many ops to go I'd really like to kill two birds with one stone as it were but I've not mentioned it to the surgeon. Well one gets a bit flummoxed when sitting there :lol:

Has anyone had both hips done at the same time?

Cherryx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I can understand and sympathise, but really, although my knowledge of surgery isn't much, I would think, maybe their was a medical reason for her, such as not taking anasthetics very well, or something. Of course, different surgeons have their own ways of doing things and in the end, they will do what they believe is the best possible procedure for you.

All the best wishes for a quick recovery, Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi
    Maybe it's better for you to mobilise asa soon as possible after surgery. You know to prevenbt clots formimg and all that? If so two must make it harder surely?
    Perhaps the case you met had had two very very bad ones?
    Toni x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Cherry

I can see where you are coming from, especially as you have quite a few ops to go through. Both knees can be done at the same time so probably 2 hips could be done too.

Personally I would prefer to get over one op first if possible. Take it slower than rushing the ops if you know what I mean. For me, it is better the devil you know than the devil you don't and however bad one hip was I think I would prefer one done, see how that goes and then the other. Little steps for me, but we are all different and so are our circumstances.

You may well find that your surgeon may not wish to do both at the same time, but there will be surgeons that would.

I asked my consultant if he would consider doing both my knees at the same time, 2 years ago and he said no. I go in on Friday for the other knee to be done.

I wish you well with whatever decision is finally made.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Thank you for your replies Sue, Toni and Elna.

I guess it's probably not his way of doing things otherwise he might well have suggested it from the first consultation.

Ho, hum, I'll just have to be patient, thought it might've saved the NHS a few bob to do the two together :lol:

Cherryx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I don't know about hips Cherry but I had both my knees done at the same time as both were wrecked. I had to have a surgeon on each knee and it will depend on how your surgeon likes to work. If you're keen why not ask him/her .....you can consider your options if they say yes they're willing ....so you have nothing to lose by asking.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'