Low mood/struggling

Options
dutchess
dutchess Member Posts: 79
edited 26. Jan 2010, 12:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I finally relented and visited the drs today. Long story short wanted to start family in July, came off meds back on meds Oct (after major ongoing flare/steroids not controlling situation/bed rest/time off work) therefore gave up family thing, saw consultant Jan changed to methotrexate injection and added on plaquenil review in 6 months (with view to family thing). Also started new job end Nov. No social life so work (part time) and rest. Have really been struggling with my physical health trying to get myself back to where I was in July and also just feeling really low and everything a struggle. GP was fantastic given three options signed off work, course on managing condition and finally anti-depressants. Described my situation as like running a marathon and having an injury. Got to give myself time and will hopefully when start feeling my 'normal' will generally feel better. Also can't just run a marathon so guess I am kinda expecting to much of myself at present. Decided to try to keep at work as more down off and try course. Just wonder how other people deal with the feelings that arthur generates? What do you do to keep positive? Feel better for talking.
Many thanks
Kelly

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kelly

I am sorry to read you are not feeling too good at this time. It must have caused unhappiness, not to be able to cope without the meds but hopefully you can try another time. I have not seen you on the forum for a while. :) You do have a lot going on in your life at the moment. You have started a new job late last year so that is always demanding, until you get more used to everything. You appear to have a very supportive gp which certainly does help, doesn't it? It is good that you went to see him. That was a positive decision.

You have made two more positive decisions as well, stay on at work and attend a course. I think we all have different ways of trying to cope but it does help to have a sense of humour even when times are not good. Laughter is a good tonic. It does help to make you feel better in yourself. Trying not to feel too sorry for oneself most of the time, helps as well, but I know that can be difficult.

I think you are doing very well - continue on the road you are on at the moment and I am sure you will finds things will improve. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Hi Kelly
    I'm with Elna there....
    I would feel well down if I were you.

You've had to put baby plans on hold, are in agony, isolated and don't know what to do.

What I have done when I feel really terrible for a long time is to rest, try to eat well, be kind to myself (read a good book or watch a dvd (take a bath if you can).

Most of all though I find it helpful to talk to others who understand,( because I feel guilty burdening the family), on here most of the time :)

I do hope you feel a bit better soon.

Take care

Toni x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kelly,

You have had such a bad time of it and well I think your gp is right about running the marathon with an injury. I also think your doing really well flower so hang in there, don't be too hard on yourself and it will all sort out and get easier. A ((( ))) and a hope for better tomorrows. Cris x
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Oh Kelly,

It sounds really tough at the moment. Can you find things to do in your rest time to make your mind think of other things....like learning to knit chunky scarves or watch Michael MacIntyre on Dvd - always makes me laugh out loud!

The course sounds like a positive step. Have you got anyone around you that you can chat through your feelings with?

Lucia x
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your lovely responses it really helped just to know there's people out there who understand. I'm going to try to think of activities I can do when I need to rest. I'm also doing an online course the gp recommended called living life to the full. One of the first modules is about inactivity and looking at the negative cycle of that and looking at things you can do. I think I've now realised that I've got to give myself a break and not put so much pressure myself to be super woman but make little positive steps/changes. I do try to talk to hubby but also finds things very difficult and the baby thing is very raw. I also chat with my mum. I think on here you can really say what you think.
    Many thanks
    Kelly