ALLOCATED BAY

Options
harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
edited 27. Jan 2010, 04:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
does anyone have a disabled marked bay outside their home? i am hopefully getting one soon and i was just wondering if you have problems with able bodied peeps parking in them and what you can do about it, i know carpark bays / blue badge bays have been covered in the forum, but i wondered about your own marked bay outside your own house....??????
Sally :? xx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sally
    I had a freind who had one once outside her (bungalow).
    I can honestly say she had no problems with able bods nicking it. She thought it was a really good thing.
    Cheaper for the council than getting a drive put on the garden for her I reckon?
    Love
    Toni x
    Would be nice if it said 'Sally's Space' :wink:
  • harleyd14
    Options
    :lol: he he yes it would Toni, and then arms popped out of the wording and punctured the tyres of the illegally parked 4x4 !!!!xx :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    harleyd14 wrote:
    :lol: he he yes it would Toni, and then arms popped out of the wording and punctured the tyres of the illegally parked 4x4 !!!!xx :lol:

Nice one! :wink:
    Or the ground just opened up and swallowed it :!: :wink:
    Toni xx
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    We've had one for 13 years now and the plaque's still on the wall but the demarcation lines have virtually worn away, particularly after all the snow. In those days they didn't write "DISABLED" in big white capitals either.

We never have any trouble with neighbours parking there but it's our fault if strangers do as it's not glaringly obvious, so it's on my list to ask for it to be repainted, although the council did say that it would cost £25 :o
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I now have one after a 3 year struggle with the housing association, no-one has parked there yet! luckily my neighbour upstairs knows that I am disabled and so dosen't park there, my neighbour round the corner has trouble with hers, she usually parks right behind the other car love Jaspercatxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    I recently had cause to look into the legalities of these Parking Bays.

A leaflet is given to the person who has been allocated the marked bay, and it quite clearly states that ANYONE, disabled or not, blue badge holder or not, can actually park legally in the bay.

It would appear that it is hoped other drivers would understand the disabled persons need to park outside their own home, and therefore would choose not to park in marked Bays.
  • harleyd14
    Options
    hi Jackie
    thats rediculous isnt it, allocated bays, whether for disabled, buses, taxis or what ever shoud be acknowledged for what they are marked for. i have used a disabled bay outside a residence myself as i know that with a blue badge you can, but i would never have done this if i didnt have one.
    its outside your house for a purpose & should be honoured as such. at the mo i dont have one but am in the process of (hopefully) getting one as i am fed up with able bodied peeps parking outside my house, visiting my neighbours & not being told to park up the road, i then have to struggle to cross the road from where i have "had" to park as well as struggle up the 10 concrete steps up to my front door, it would be so much easier if my neighbour asked her visitor to park elsewhere, & i have asked her to do this, but because her visitor has a baby she thinks its ok for her to park in my space.....i'm ranting now, i'm on my soapbox so i shall sign off!!! thanks for the replies one and all, love Sally.xx