Any bright ideas?

Options
stlucia
stlucia Member Posts: 392
edited 27. Jan 2010, 05:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

Has any one got any good ideas of things to do on day when you feel really ropey and in lots of pain?

Today is one of those days for me and I just don't know what to try next!

My top tip to start the list is...wheat bags in the microwave

Lucia x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lucia,

Nice to meet you by the way. For me its a case of stick my head between 2 speakers and play something i know will shake me out of it. If I got a headache thats not so easy and I tend to just give 'the talk' to my self. I also use a lot of meditation and drifting. Hope you will soon feel lifted and don't forget its ok to have an off day as well. Take care Cris
  • stlucia
    Options
    Thanks Cris,

Good plan - I'm going to try that - loud music! I've opened the windows for gusts of very cold air and that is waking me up abit - I only got about 2 hours sleep last night due to the pain. I'd try dancing round the room if I didn't hurt so much!

Thanks for the good idea.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Music
    That's a good one!!
    really loud!

You'd better shut the window if you're gonna make a racket! :wink:

Some days are best spent reading, watching good dvds and just resting - if all else fails that's not a bad one.

And of cousre posting on here too :wink:

Love

Toni x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lucia,

I thoroughly recommend modern thumping base music ..... but poss not if you don't like it :wink: I know a few people it has the opposite effect on :lol: The bopping around well it does help but its very rare to e able to do..... thats were the meditation/drift comes in cus then..... I's so good that way :wink: Cris
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Lucia!
    not met you before..look forward to chatting with you!

On a bad day, I cuddle up to a hot water bottle...can't beat it for soothing comfort on whatever bit hurts the most. Also hot wax bath for hands and feet...wonderful!

I like the idea of distracting music though...might try it. Iris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lucie

Yes, call in on here more on your ropey, "lots of pain" days :) We would love to hear from you more.

I find sleep helps me and wheatbags. Not feeling cold either. Have a shower or bath. That always makes me feel more human!!

Music, radio, TV, DvDs are ok too. Phone someone up who is perhaps also not having too good a day for whatever reason and cheer each other up. :) Type emails to friends...... write a letter ..... people always like receiving a letter or card.

Sorry I don't think I have any really good suggestions, but I hope you feel better tomorrow or at least very soon.

I have a CD on now, but I know it is not the same kind of music that Cris finds therapeutic!!

Luv and gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stlucia
    Options
    Thank you so so much for all your messages. The ideas have been great - I will work my way through them. At the moment I've got bursitus in my hip and I could just cry - it's so so painful. I'm sorry for having a non- positive moment.

Lucia
  • stlucia
    Options
    I have on 'Mama said' LOUDLY!!! I just need a spangly dress to dance around and some backing singers!
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Lucie

Yes, call in on here more on your ropey, "lots of pain" days :) We would love to hear from you more.

I find sleep helps me and wheatbags. Not feeling cold either. Have a shower or bath. That always makes me feel more human!!

Music, radio, TV, DvDs are ok too. Phone someone up who is perhaps also not having too good a day for whatever reason and cheer each other up. :) Type emails to friends...... write a letter ..... people always like receiving a letter or card.

Sorry I don't think I have any really good suggestions, but I hope you feel better tomorrow or at least very soon.

I have a CD on now, but I know it is not the same kind of music that Cris finds therapeutic!!

Luv and gentle hugs
    Elna x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Lucie

Luv and gentle hugs
    Elna x

I keep setting my wheat bags on fire in the microwave, have lost three that way. Obviously doing something wrong but have gone back to hwb to be on safe side. I cry on worst days and then pick myself up (metaphorically you understand) and try and look after myself better. Like you Elna, have hot bath too.
  • stlucia
    Options
    Hi Sally - I am really laughing at the thought of you setting wheat bags on fire! That has cheered me up!!! So funny!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    stlucia wrote:
    Thank you so so much for all your messages. The ideas have been great - I will work my way through them. At the moment I've got bursitus in my hip and I could just cry - it's so so painful. I'm sorry for having a non- positive moment.

Lucia

Dear Lucia

You are allowed to have non positive moments, just as long as they do not last too long. :) I can well believe that you are in a lot of pain with the hip bursitis and I am sorry. I hope we have all cheered you up a little.

Please do call in here as much as you like and share with us your good times and bad times. That is what we all do and if you post, you can guarantee replies, like this time. :D

There is also the chitchat zone where there is never a dull moment, if that rocks your boat.
    :wink::lol:

Luv
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stlucia
    Options
    Thanks just so much guys. It's hard to keep everything in perspective when you are in so much pain. There isn't anyone at home to help me out right now which makes it ten times harder.

A bath and a shed load of deep freeze spray has helped a bit.... phew!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Sally! What are you like? Setting wheatbags on fire! :roll: Methinks you are heating them up for toooooo long!!!!! Did you read the instructions? If you are anything like me, reading instructions are not my strong point!

I heat my brand new wheat bag up for 2.5 minutes. Minutes I said, not hours :lol::lol::lol:

My other wheatbag, I threw away as I was frightened it would split as it was so worn!

Luv
    Elna x

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    sally36 wrote:

I keep setting my wheat bags on fire in the microwave, have lost three that way. Obviously doing something wrong .......

Hi Sally,

Did you know you're supposed to dampen the wheat bags after 4 or 5 uses .....they could be too dry and that's why they're setting alight?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stlucia
    Options
    Ooh I never knew that about wheat bags....must do that!
  • salamander
    Options
    stlucia wrote:
    Hi Sally - I am really laughing at the thought of you setting wheat bags on fire! That has cheered me up!!! So funny!

At least I can make you laugh! Laughter best therapy.........

xx
  • salamander
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Sally! What are you like? Setting wheatbags on fire! :roll: Methinks you are heating them up for toooooo long!!!!! Did you read the instructions? If you are anything like me, reading instructions are not my strong point!

I heat my brand new wheat bag up for 2.5 minutes. Minutes I said, not hours :lol::lol::lol:

My other wheatbag, I threw away as I was frightened it would split as it was so worn!

Luv
    Elna x

Very funny Elna! I think re-heating them has been the problem. Also, didn't read to take the cover off one of them first. Like you, not great on instructions.
    xx
  • salamander
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    sally36 wrote:

I keep setting my wheat bags on fire in the microwave, have lost three that way. Obviously doing something wrong .......

Hi Sally,

Did you know you're supposed to dampen the wheat bags after 4 or 5 uses .....they could be too dry and that's why they're setting alight?

Luv Legs :D

Aha! that's the secret then. Thanks Legs.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    put electric blanket on and go back to bed for an hour if have time a nap always helps me then get up and get on with it
    val
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello stlucia
    I like your positive attitude about pain and more or less 'throwing it out the window' sort of thing.

When I am in lots of pain, I tend to get stuck into my painting and play Classic FM. I don't like local radio because you get lots of silly people ringing up moaning about trivilalities. I know that they may not seem like that whoevery rings up, but I do find they grate a bit.
    Or I play my new CDs. I like most things. Then I am away.
    Mind you, if it is very very bad, then I just knock myself out, go to bed and sleep. Sometimes I find this difficult because I get very stiff and sore and even bed is uncomfortable. I have been having chiropractitioner sessions for my OA and have been a great help. Instead of heat pads, I have been using cold bags instead. Seem to get the inflammation down for me.
    With your dancing, great, good exercise is dancing, but don't overdo it, or you will be in even greater pain tomorrow and tomorrow.

I'mm meet you in the cafe tomorrow for a coffee
    bye for now
    joy
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Oh yes, Val, definitely the electric blanket for comfort. I don't know how I forgot about that suggestion. Electric blankets are bliss :D

Luv
    Elna x

• salamander
    Options
    Lynn, perhaps I should put them on the menu in the cafe seeing as I'm so good at making them :lol: