Prednisolone (steriod) views please folks.....

Options
topgirl
topgirl Member Posts: 290
edited 27. Jan 2010, 05:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
To cut a long story short :shock: After 6 months of Sulfasalazine(which was great) I had a very bad reaction to it and my GP has told me to stop taking it.
Im not due to see my Rumy till 22 Feb and my GP has told me to take Prednisolone(steriod) untill then as im feeling terrible :(
After 24 hrs on this i felt better then i have in the last 2 years!...BUT...my GP has warned about long term side effects and my blood pressure is sky high( not sure if related)...he has basically said to take as little of them as possible and i suppose im just interested in peoples views....that would help me make a decision..
Im stuck with ' put up with feeling like you have been run over by a train' because its better to look after long term health or ' feel fantastic' but suffer in other ways...
Im also due back in work Mon and am currently even struggling to hold a pen....makes me realise how good the Sulfa was....
What do you think guys????

Thanks Kay xx

Comments

• scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Steroids are wonderful for the short-term but the side-effects are nasty. I've been on steroids for over 3 years. Not by choice, but because my disease has never been controlled enough to come off them. I've had all sorts of unsightly side-effects including weight gain, moonface, problems with my bloodwork, having to go on other meds to counteract calcium loss. Like I said, great in the short-term but not a solution.

I'm glad they're helping you until you get on another DMARD.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    You should be fine to take it until you see you're rheumy in Feb. I've taken it on and off for years. Took it for about 5yrs as a teenager and it currently the only thing I'm allowed to take due to pregnancy. I've been on them for at least 7months now. Depends on the dose but they've been used for donkeys years and as long as you don't have too bad side effects and the GP keeps an eye on your blood pressure (if the steroids are affecting it then it may not be a good idea to take them but your GP would know) then I wouldn't worry too much about taking them.

The only thing I'd warn against is stopping them suddenly if you've been on them for a while as you have to ease off them gently but your rheumy/gp should advise you (if not, ask).

Hope this helps?
  • topgirl
    Options
    Thanks....what would you class as long term...am I getting too stressed over a couple of months on them?
    xx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Seriously don't panic. Its 4wks til your appointment and if you want/need to come off them then your rheumy will talk you through it if necessary.

How long have you been taking them? Have you had any side effects? When I was taking them for 5yrs I developed moonface and put on loads of weight but it was the loss of calcium which made the docs rethink. But my dose was quite high for a number of years. I haven't really noticed a huge amount of non-pregnancy weight gain due to steroids and my face is still the same shape (although got a lovely pregnancy rash on it - they don't tell you about these things before hand!!). I should be taking calcichew but I had a query relating to the suppliments I'm taking for the baby and the effect on the baby of any extras but midwife was clueless so I'm off to see pregnancy consultant next week and I'm holding off taking them.

To be honest, you are allowed to say no to any medicines or treatments that the docs offer if you don't want to take them or if you think the side effects aren't worth it. I've often told the docs to have a rethink.

But if the steroids are making you feel better then it might be worth taking them.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Kay

I am in exactly the same position as yourself! I see consultant on 25th feb and I am using a sticking plaster approach to help me limp towards seeing him. That includes steriods. I was put on them in July and I felt fantastic (20mg) and they managed to get me back to work. But, I had my bp taken and it was sky high in november and then had to wean myself off them over 6 weeks. The bp came back down to normal but then of course, my RA is terrible again and now off sick.

So now I am on just 5mg till 25th feb, bp high again but it helps a bit and is a short term measure. Steriods are a help but only mask the arthur. Do try to keep to as low a dose as you can as your gp says.

Good luck for 22nd!

Janie
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hiya,

I was on pred quite a long time (8 months aprox). They are fine for the short tearm use as said, i also have a friend that was on them for a year with no problems.

Are you also taking the calcium tablets?

x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi, I have been on them since August - anything ranging from 15mg down to 2.5mg. I am getting quite a lot of side effects, including a fatty liver (seen on a scan),high blood pressure, hair in places I don't want! slow healing of wounds, last but not least weight gain. Have persuaded consultant to wean me off them. But my joints don't like it and complain every time I drop down. The idea is the methotrexate takes over from the steroids. I don't think you should worry for a couple of months, I was fine until recently.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Topgirl, for a couple of months I should think you'll be fine. I have been on them now in varying doses for 8 years, currently on 30mg daily for respiratory probs. My normal maintenance dose is 5mg daily.

I've got all the side effects associated with them, but for short term use there really shouldn't be any side effects that aren't reversible once you stop.

If you are on them for more than a couple of weeks, you will need to taper them off, you won't just be able to stop them like that!

For me it's a question of 'quality' of life - if, for a short while they will make my life bearable, then I'll go for it.

Annie
  • topgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

Your views have helped me come to the decision that im going to stay on them....at least till I start a new DMARD....I really dont think I could cope without them at present :(
    I havent been given calcuim tho?...due you think this is because im taking them short term?
    Thanks for reasuring me in my hour of need!
    Kay xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i love this place there always some one who knows how to help. not had steroids but if neededthem and side affects not to bad would take them the aches ans pains of arther not to be sneezed at.they can affect your life so much it gets you down so what ever helps
    val
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi,I was on steroids for a few weeks last year and they worked wonders for the pain and stiffness. :lol: I had no side effects except that I had loads of energy!!I was almost painfree for 5/6 months but my arm/shoulder pain has resurfaced and in fact I am off to my Gp this morning as I think he's going to give me a steroid injection this time instead of tablets as the anti inflamatories I'm on are not working at all. When on the steroid tablets you have to come off them very slowly but I didn't find that a problem.Just hope the steroid injection will be as effected as the tablets. Breane.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I ahve been on sterids continuously since last March. I started off on 15mg, down to 10 mg and have gradually gone up to 25mg.
    I have had some side effects such as some hair growing on the side of my face and my hair line has gradually got close and close to my eyebrows.
    I woldnt worry too much at the moment if it is only for 4 weeks until you see the rheumy.
    Personally I dont want to come off the steroids as i feel so ggood on them but realise i cant long term. I am quite happy to stay on them until they find the corret dose of dmards, currently on sulphasalzine x6 a day, celecoxib and also take tramadol when pain is bad. to counteract the side effects of the various drugs i also take iron tbas and omeprazole.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    Thanks everyone,

Your views have helped me come to the decision that im going to stay on them....at least till I start a new DMARD....I really dont think I could cope without them at present :(
    I havent been given calcuim tho?...due you think this is because im taking them short term?
    Thanks for reasuring me in my hour of need!
    Kay xxx

Kay, I wasn't given calcium until my second consultant's appt six weeks after being on them. Mention it to your GP or next hosp visit.
    x