Blood and organ donation

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 28. Jan 2010, 09:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
i've often wondered about organ donation to.
i used to give blood, until RA came along!
sue

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

I used to be on both lists but well they didn't want me anymore but that was over the fact I have really big circulatory problems and also with bone marrow they decided cus of the mount of oa etc in my back I was no longer a good candidate as the risk was too high for me....... I think maybe you could do as I did and just have a chat with them and they will tell you if your ok or not. It does seem to have some bearing deepening on what’s actually wrong. I don't know about the pa cus well I was removed from the lists before that was picked up on.

They have however agreed if my sister needs a kidney (she only has one) they would agree to live donation as long as I knew the risks........ so I think 'real' organ donation isn't too effected per cay....... They are very happy to talk to you about it though and I found them quite nice even though they didn't want me any more :wink: xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Funny I was talking to OH about this the other night. I don't carry a card or belong to a register as I am torn. One half of me knows it's a great thing to do and can help so many people plus I want to be cremated but part of me is still wants to be whole even dead.

Anne
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I asked my consultant many years ago and his advice was 'Carry a Card or Be on a Register' they're so desperate for organs that they can decide at the time of your death once they know your wishes. Seemed like sound advice to me.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I always look at it by saying when I die I wouldn't want my clothes and possessions buried/burnt with me when someone else could use them ....so anyone can have anything of use. Hubby says he's going to cash in my titanium knees for scrap metal as they could be worth a bit :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    No just plain old mercury ......and before you come over to look in my mouth with your drill ......it's poisoness and so old it's not worth a penny :wink:

Luv Legs XX
    Love, Legs x
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Hi Lynn

yep, i am on the register, i have told hubby that they can take whatever they want, if it helps someone then that fine by me....as long as i have REALLY died before they do it i wont care :shock: !!! Sally.xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have been on the donor register for years but often wonder if there is anything left worth having.I thought i d leave them to decide.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi,

I echo your thought Linda, they can have whatever 'bits' of me they could use!

Incidentally, my OH needs a kidney transplant :(

Sooo, anyone who's kept thinking about going on the Donor List - please please please, do it :)

Jackie x