OA knee replacement waiting any ideas

Options
timaviss
timaviss Member Posts: 9
edited 27. Jan 2010, 14:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
New to the forum, have been diagnosed with severe OA and told that I need a partial replacement also that I should wait due to my age, and told that i should just take the meds to cope: 2 cocodamol 4 times a day and 3diclofenac and amitripline(?) at night, need to use a crutch most days, 2 when it is really bad. Any ideas for coping or should I ask for the op to be sped up? Any idea would be really appreciated. Am a primary teacher with 3 young children of my own and some days it is really hard to cope, also hate feeling like a zombie due to the tablets (which don't seem to work some days). Any ideas?
PS excuse any typos!

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tim :D

I just welcomed you on the other zone! It is good you have posted on here already.

You do not say how old you are, but with your kind of work, having three children and using one or two crutches when necessary it would appear that you are in need of an op. You want your life now, not later, don't you?

Has it been suggested that you have an arthroscopy? This is a clean up of the knee. It works for some, not for others. It did not for me.

I was offered a partial but I carried on for a goodly while, more damage was done to my knee, so a total knee replacement was offered which I took and on Friday, just over 2 years later, I am going in for my other knee to be done. By the way, I will be 60 at the end of this year. I have had problems with one knee for about 20 years, not all the time, intermittently in fact, I hasten to add but on looking back, that is when the problem first started for me.

Have you tried heated wheatbags on your knees or ice packs? these can help ease the pain.

It is true the meds do make you feel lethargic and like a zombie. The anti inflammatories help me greatly though and do not affect me at all, it is the painkillers that do it for me. I have had to come off them for 10 days before my op on Friday and my whole body aches. I had not realised how much those 2 daily pills helped me with my arthritis in one knee, hands, shoulder, lower back etc.

I do hope you are able to have an op soon.

Wishing you all the very best,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • timaviss
    Options
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm 38 and had an arthroscopy after which the surgeon pointed at my knee shook his head and told me my knee was shot! That was when he said i needed the replacement but as I am 'young' they want me to wait. Fed up of the meds and not over the moon about needing an op but am starting to feel sooner would be better! The wheat pack I have tried, thanks, and boy does it help at night! Thanks again for the reply!
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Tim
    I'm amazed that you're still managing to work. I had to leave my job nearly 2 years ago. Between the commute into the city and a job that required me to be on my feet all day - it was just too much. I thought I would find a part-time job but in the end both knees got so bad that I haven't been able to return to work. I'm 53 and was told 3 years ago that I was too young to have op. X rays last June revealed that I will need TKR on both knees - first one takes place next month. A clearing out was deemed fruitless. I seem to be resting after any exertion these days.

I'm on the same meds as you - I take 3 amytriptilines at night at the moment.

I use crutches if I'm walking very short distances. If we have to go any further I have to use the wheelchair.

It must be tough for you and I understand completely how tiring and painful this condition is.

Sharmaine

timaviss wrote:
    Hi all,
    New to the forum, have been diagnosed with severe OA and told that I need a partial replacement also that I should wait due to my age, and told that i should just take the meds to cope: 2 cocodamol 4 times a day and 3diclofenac and amitripline(?) at night, need to use a crutch most days, 2 when it is really bad. Any ideas for coping or should I ask for the op to be sped up? Any idea would be really appreciated. Am a primary teacher with 3 young children of my own and some days it is really hard to cope, also hate feeling like a zombie due to the tablets (which don't seem to work some days). Any ideas?
    PS excuse any typos!
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Tim

I am throwing in other suggestions but probably all have been tried. :roll: Being referred for acupuncture, physio, pain management clinic, having fluid removed from knees, steroid injection in both knees. attending a pain management course. The helpline could point you in the right direction with the course.

I do hope you are able to sort something out shortly to ease the pain and discomfort for you to enable you to get on with your life.

Take care
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I was told I'd need my knee cap replacing but was also told that I was too young (29). I have been having synvisc injections, they work temporarily but not long term so am now wiaitng for another arthrooscopy. There is only so much cartlidge they can trim back!!!
    hope you feel better soon.
  • timaviss
    Options
    Thanks baily, elna and sharmainw, sounds like the helpline may be a good thing to try. Hope you are all ok, or at least not too bad, posts are much appreciated, :)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 27. Jan 2010, 17:41
    Options
    Don't settle for too young ....that's tosh .....I can understand them wanting you to wait till there's no going back but if your life's on hold because of it, then the time is right for you. There's many peeps on here had replacements in their 20's :shock:

Explore other avenues if you can, as others have suggested, but if they don't help go back to the surgeon.

Hope it settles down.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • timaviss
    Options
    Thanks legs, think i'll try the gp and go for a rereferral. Thanks for the advice.