Tips for DLA

Options
theresa4
theresa4 Member Posts: 696
edited 28. Jan 2010, 13:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI dont know if this will help anyone but a DIAL lady advised me these things.
1. MAke sure you have a good GP who understands and supports you.

2. Remember your GP can only write on a report what you have told him/her and you dont always tell them every thing such as a fall here and there/ not making it to the bathroom cos your feet didnt work/ needing help to dress/ cook/clean etc.. needing people to help cooking/driving/ shopping etc.. you cant get up when you fall cos your hands dont work/ constantly feeling tired/ not sleeping due to pain/ crying just because.. / not able to wear your high heels, fav shoes/ go out dancing/ read books due to pain holding them/ all the fun stuff you did before RA.. /shopping on own/ walking/ stairs!!!!
I know this part is really hard to admit and somewhat emabarrassing see above points thats part of my list :oops:
I typed it out in small paragraphs over a week and then saw my GP and gave it to him he put it in my notes and told me it was invaluable when filling out the form.

3. Write about your worst day as long as its more than half the time you are in pain etc then its not a lie. you can say its variable

Good luck to everyone I hope this serves to help some people xx
Theresa x :)
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx

Comments

• topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Im sure it help :D
    It is very important to have a supportive GP...and yes its better to give them a ring to let them know the form is on its way..
    its nice of you to take time out to try and help others.. :D
    Love
    Kay xx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Soc do a very good booklet on DLa with tips on how to fill in the form and a benefits one too, though that is more geared towards benefits you might get rather than form filling. My friend told me she had to ring up to get them sent. They seem very comprehensive. Worth a try?