Docs Appt - What help is available ?

pols090607
pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
edited 31. Jan 2010, 16:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Although I see my rheumatologist every 4-6 months, no offer of help has ever been given (and I guess partly my own fault as I've never asked) with the likes of physio, hydro or even an occupational therapist visit.

I've made an appt to see my GP and was just wondering if there's anything I can ask for helpwise, I'm definatley interested in seeing a physio.

Do you any of you guys see anyone else aside from Rheumatologist ?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks xx

Comments

• madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hiya,

I got refered to an occupational theropist from my GP who was a great help.

If your hospital provide it give you rhmer nurse a ring (mine has a helpline you can ring) and ask if you can be refered to a physio.

I have a OT and a physio and i also saw a person who gave me new insoles who i was refered to via my physio. I know i had tto wait a while for my physio appointment .. there was a long waiting list but after 2 referals and my heart prof rining them to get them moving.

I hope that helps x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Pols,

My Rheumy referred me for physiotherapy, occupational therapy, orothotics (shoes) and hydrotherapy.

The Hospital Occupational Therapist referred me for a home visit from the District Occupational Therapist to provide me with gadgets around the house.

GP referred me for Chiropody (Podiatrist).

I don't know if your GP can do any of this for you but it would be worth ringing the surgery to ask rather than wait for your next appointment with your Rheumy.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Pols,

Mine also referred me to the pain clinic and thankfully i struck gold there. I think you can ask to see other depts like physio? Maybe just talk it through with your gp and see what they think? Good luck though and I hope you find something to help you soon. Take care Cris
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Pols,

Like you, I've not had referrals for anything, and have felt a bit neglected after reading the help others here get from OT, physio, etc.

Am going to ask next time....not sure I'll get anything, but will ask anyway!

Lois x
  • pols090607
    pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
    Thanks for all the replies, my appt is in the morning so I will let you know how I get on.

It's through being on this site and reading all the supportive messages and posts that I feel confident to finally seek the help I probably could of done with years ago instead of just muddling through and feeling ashamed of my 'old persons' illness.

Thank You Everyone xxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I've been referred to an occupational therapist, I have an appt in 2 weeks. I believe they can arrange physio, hydrotherapy etc. I was referred because my rheumy feels splints for my wrists may be helpful for me when I'm at work. However, the lady on the phone explained all of their services available and they'll assess me properly at my appt. I was very impressed! Could you ask for a referral to an occupational therapy unit? Or perhaps a pain clinic?
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Hi My Rheumatologist referred me to Physio, Occupational Therapist,
    Podarist (for shoes etc).on diagnosis I told him I was struggling, I would certainly ask for a referal, either from your GP or Rheumatologist. Have you got a helpline number for the Rheumatology nurse who could also help with the referal.

lizzie