Pilates

Options
woodbine
woodbine Member Posts: 140
edited 28. Jan 2010, 08:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else out there who has OA has tried Pilates? A physio recommended it to me, and said that it's as good as a course of physio, but sometimes I think that it makes my knees and back ache more than ever! The teacher is highly qualified, and willing to adjust exercises that hurt, but this doesn't always seem to help. I've been going for sometime in the hope that things would get better, but they don't seem to be doing so - in fact, today so many bits of me were hurting during the class I felt like either leaving or crying (though I didn't do either in the end :( .)

My GP and my Pilates teacher are adamant that it's good for me, but my mum also has OA, and was recently told by her consultant that for certain joints with OA (in her case hips) the repetition of exercises in Pilates is a bad thing.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions on this gratefully received. :)
Thanks
Naomi

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Naomi,

I know I have RA and not OA but some years ago when I was having hydrotherapy under the watchful eye of a physio she did a course on Pilates and she taught me how to do some of the exercises in the water.

Maybe if you could remember your exercises and adapt them for in the water it wouldn't put as much strain on your joints .....if you're not sure you could always check with your GP or Pilates teacher before you tried.

Just a thought.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

I also have Ra and did have OA in my hips till I had new ones last year. I've been doing Pilates for 8 or 9 years now and definitely feel the benefit. Sometimes the exercises (even the adjusted ones) just hurt so I stop and do something like spine curls or the cat until the rest have finished that exercise.

I think the work of toning the muscles is really worthwhile, particularly for the back. However, you know your body best and if it hurts don't do it. My instructor is very good and is used to me just stopping and will often then give me something completely different to do - even if its stretching.

I agree with Linda aout trying it in the water too - I did that a lot after my op to help rebuild the strength.

Good luck with it.

Lorraine