scalp soreness

Options
theresa4
theresa4 Member Posts: 696
edited 28. Jan 2010, 19:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI does anyone else with RA suffer with a sore scalp not visibly sore but painful to the touch?

I think it is related as I am in severe flare at the moment and my scalp is yet again really sore and painful to touch so much so I cant do my hair. (not that I can go out at the mo anyway but it was kind of embarrassing yesterday when I answered the door to the post man.:oops:

Theresa x :)
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Theresa

I havent had this problem myself and yet to see anyone posting on this forum about this problem.So many different symptoms arise from arthritis and there is bound to be someone.Some people experience skin problems from some medication.I wonder if it is that?
    Most of my postmen/delivery men know to wait for me to answer the door as it can take a while for me to get downstairs and I try not to be in pyjamas when opening the door.
    Hope you are getting a little better
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    I have!!!
    but i got it all just before the symptoms of RA....Horrible yellow scales which I could pick off( even tho i shouldnt)...shaking my head produced a snow fall..... :shock:
    Doc treated me for dermitis...but after about 2 months the joint pain started and the diagnoisis of RA a year after( long story :roll: )
    I know think its connected....thanks for mentioning this...i'd almost forgot...
    Love
    Kay
    xxx
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Theresa,

Yes Yes Yes I have the same problem. Scalp gets very sore specially at the top. Even touching a single hair strand hurts like crazy. People including hair dressers look at me funny when I say my hair hurts.

Mine gets worse during flare ups and I hate it and that is the case at the moment. Washed hair on Monday and tons of hair fell out. It's on the pillow, floor, shower everywhere - beginning to feel like a reptile shedding. Even my little dog (Shitzu) doesn't leave much lying around as I do.

I have to get my hair cuts when it gets too sore and don't like it as I prefer longish hair. How is your iron level???? My iron levels (ferritin level) needed to be 70 for normal hair growth and mine were 24 when my hair got really bad.

Other than that I don't know much hope our hair gets better soon.

Love

Eve
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI Eve
    Finally someone else who has the same problem, my iron levels are good I think its just the inflamation that causes the pain.

I had to have my hair cut short because I couldnt manage my long hair anymore, my hands are really bad and I can only hold a hair dryer/brush or straightners for a few minutes at a time and with very curly and difficult hair it was just too much. I really hate my short hair but it takes only a few minutes to do (unless like now its too painful to touch then it takes no time at all! :) )
    It feels like burns but as I said no redness.

Hope yours improves soon x
    Theresa x 8)
    chile168 wrote:
    Hi Theresa,

Yes Yes Yes I have the same problem. Scalp gets very sore specially at the top. Even touching a single hair strand hurts like crazy. People including hair dressers look at me funny when I say my hair hurts.

Mine gets worse during flare ups and I hate it and that is the case at the moment. Washed hair on Monday and tons of hair fell out. It's on the pillow, floor, shower everywhere - beginning to feel like a reptile shedding. Even my little dog (Shitzu) doesn't leave much lying around as I do.

I have to get my hair cuts when it gets too sore and don't like it as I prefer longish hair. How is your iron level???? My iron levels (ferritin level) needed to be 70 for normal hair growth and mine were 24 when my hair got really bad.

Other than that I don't know much hope our hair gets better soon.

Love

Eve
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Theresa,

That's is exactly how I felt when I read your thread.....Finally someone understands and knows what is like when your hair hurts.

If I use hairdryer or straightners, I can only hold it for a few moments as not only my hands hurt but my shoulders can't take the pressure so 99% of the time, I don't bother.

I started getting this problem back in the 90's. Diagnosed with SLE and Fibromyalgia in 2005 and RA 2009.

Mine gets really sore (tender to the touch) it's not flaky or red just so sore. You mentioned inflamation........ well when I try to touch it feels like a bump not solid but as you said inflamed. Is that what you mean ??? Im sure people think Im crazy when I am trying to explain these symptoms.

I think I might start eating more beetroot and strawberries as they have alot of Iron.

Keep me posted as I will you xxxx
    Eve