I didn't break your shoe horn, honest!!!!!

Options
maud48
maud48 Member Posts: 170
edited 29. Jan 2010, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday I had an apointment with a podiatrist for my arthritic feet, after waiting about 8 months. He gave me an insole for arch suport but didn't check it on my feet just asked me to see if it fitted in the boots I was wearing.
I tried this morning to put it in my shoes but it won't fit in any of them as it's too long and measuring it on my foot it is too long both at the front and back. I think my boots must be bigger than shoes because they're fur lined and very bulky.
The size on the insole is 8-11, my feet measure size 7 but I often take an 8 because of arfur (told them this).
Just phoned them and explained. The lady told me to trim it at the front but I explained the support would then come in the wrong place as it was also too long at the back (can't trim the back as it's curved for the heel).
I said I thought the whole thing was too big and I needed a smaller one. She told me I was only allowed one on the NHS and would have to pay £40 for another if I wanted two. Told her, and was still being polite, I didn't want two, only one that fitted (this is starting to sound like a Monty Python sketch).
Reluctantly she agreed to make me another appointment and finished by saying triumphantly 'I remember you, you're the lady who broke my shoe horn'.
I didn't see a shoe horn all the time I was there, honest guv!
maudxx

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Maud that is not on!
    it is so annoying that we wait so long and then the system lets us down!

make sure she fits it herself this time eh?

My friend had to have special insoles made, and has had to fight to be able to get a second pair ..... couldn't get them to understand that they were needed in two different kinds of footwear and that taking them in and out was beyond her. They wouldn't even LET her pay for another pair, just said she couldn't have one!

hope you get them sorted
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    For heavens sake!
    what do you have to do to get the the help you need Maud from the nhs?? insoles that are too big; only 'allowed' one pair.....how ridiculous!!

It would be funny if it weren't so serious....since when do receptionist decide if and when you can be seen?

Complain Maud! in writing to the trust, with a copy to the local health council and/ or MP.....it's the only way to get the message through the multiple layers of ignorance and bureaucracy that the services they provide are rubbish!.

Makes my blood boil! ':x'

Irisx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    hey Maud,
    That's frustrating for you!
    I'm waiting for my orthotics since end of November. Apparently they will be delivered this week (not holding my breath). But I asked for more than one pair. I generally only wear two or three different types of shoes, depending on how rubbish my feet are feeling but if my hands are bad I can't transfer them. I explained this and they 'should' be ordering me a couple of pairs once I've finally tried on these orthotics and know they fit. They haven't mentioned paying for them - I won't be!

Hope you get it sorted.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hmmmph!!!
    The cheeky woman!!!
    Well done for keeping your cool despite severe provocation!!!
    I hope yoyu get your proper insole and an appology or two :x
    Love
    Toni x
    Shoe horn!!! Hmmph!!! the cheek of it!!!