Bruised & Scared

Options
kickyloo
kickyloo Member Posts: 66
edited 28. Jan 2010, 14:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment - it's been a hard day.

Had my monthly blood test today (on Sulpha) but the nurse couldn't find a vein and had to ask for assistance. The other nurse eventually found one but now my arm hurts so much, so bruised I can hardly bend my arm.

Then had a formal meeting with work as I've been off for nearly a year and my sick pay is going to run out next month. Basically it's make or break time - either I get back to work next month or they'll take steps to dismiss me. My hands and knees still hurt (although not as much as they did). I don't feel fit enough to return to work, but think I need to at least give it a go. I think I can put them off until early March though. I truely believe that as soon as I go back, it will be too much for my joints and I'll eventually have to go off sick and then they will sack me. I'm so scared. They have been really supportive but I understand they can't wait forever. They can make adjustments (I've contacted Access to Work for advice) and I'll have a phased return to build up my energy but I really don't think it's going to work. :(:cry:

How do other people manage it? How do you get the flare ups under control. Every time I think I'm getting better something else happens and I'm constantly on this pain cycle. Maybe I just need to push through the pain.

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I know how you feel with work, I have practically spent the last year off sick but I have managed to go back for 3 months at one point before going off again just after xmas. You have to give it a try, it may work, with adjustments in place. Have you also considered part-time, different hours, proper breaks, different job in the same company. Just suggestions for you, can you take some annual leave that you've accrued to reduce your hours temporarily?

If it doesn't work then at least you've tried, but what will you do for money? Ideally we could all not work but as you know we must, but I feel working can be beneficial psychologically too, you get to mix and use your brain a bit!

I do hope that you manage to return, even if it doesn't work then you will feel better for trying than not.

You are right to feel to apprehensive, managing arthritis along side everything else can seem impossible,working as well!! I am hoping to return again, I won't finish work until they kick me out.

Have you talked to rheumy about changing your meds? It could help you and if they know about work, they may be able to do something for you.

Good luck

Janie x