why do i feel like this

Options
polly24
polly24 Member Posts: 34
edited 31. Jan 2010, 09:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
:( why do i feel likr this have had ra for 16 years am on mtx 25 leofumide and just started ebril am now in no pain but why do i feel so depressed cant belive that i wood b like this have prayed for years to be pain free cant understand it has this happend to any one else so upset sorry to be a moarn should be shputing from the roof tops polly :( :!:

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Polly!

First of all don't apologise for moaning...we all do at one time or another and that's what the forum is for!

If you've had RA for 16yrs and been in a lot of pain no wonder you have been depressed. Even if you're now having a good response to your new meds, this in itself is a massive change that you need time to adjust to.

Depression doesn't magically disappear so don't be hard on yourself for still feeling upset; be patient and kind to yourself....you're allowed to be human!
    shouting from the rooftops can come later!

I'm really glad your biologics are kicking in.....take care...gentle hugs. Iris x
  • chris101
    chris101 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Polly

Maybe being painfree after so many years has reminded you of how you used to feel before the RA, which then reminds you how difficult it has been to live with the pain. Even though the pain is now gone you understandably feel depressed about what you have been through. Also, you may still feel low because you still have RA and that is enough to get anyone down. Just my thoughts! Hope you feel better soon.

Chris..x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Polly,

I think I agree with Iris and Chris and its cus your not in pain now that you have got the reaction to the last 16 years. Also really pleased for you the drugs are at last working. I really hope tomorrow will be a better day for you. Cris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Maggs

I am sorry to hear that you are finding it so difficult at this time, not because you are in pain, but because you are not. You have been in pain for so many years that it is probably a huge shock to your system, that now all of sudden you are "well". Perhaps you feel it may be taken away from you again before you have adjusted to the "new" Maggs. Perhaps you are angry that you were not able to enjoy life as you wished, for so many years.

It is early days. Take each day as it comes. I do not know how old your grandchildren are but they are probably very happy to see you much better physically and your own children, must be relieved, of course.

Why not talk to us more on here and let us know how you go on.

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Polly
    It is probably a big explosion of emotion.You have suffered so long and suddenly you have got the meds sorted and they are working after all this time.Also all the meds can cause an unbalance of your system that can make you feel depressed.Its not your fault.It is quite a common reaction you arent alone....
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • rosyred
    rosyred Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi

Im so sorry ur so down... big hugs

And plzz remember ur not alone with this,

Yesterday while out shopping i bumped into a lady who was stuggleing to walk we got chatting and like me she has artritis, was a get relife chatting to her , and knowing ur not going mad what ur going through its all part of the arthritis.

I got out side the shop where my daughter was waiting . and HERE GOES( BURST INTO TEARS)
    Just because im not alone with what i was feeling and thinking!

Have u been to ur doc about ur depression?
    Once again big hugs xx
  • twinney
    twinney Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hello Mags.
    Sorry to hear you are feeling down at the moment.
    I have sent you a PM .
    Best Wishes
    Lyn
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi Polly
    Think its like the others said now your over the pain you've kinda got space to think/reflect. Could be like a delayed reaction to it all. Before all your energy etc was used up with dealing with the pain. Plus its normal/common for people with chronic health conditions to experience depression. It would prob be a good idea to speak with your dr about how your feeling as there seems to be some good support out there. I've had a really bad run of it since july and finally got too much so saw doc this week. He was really supportive and advised me about this really good website called living life to the full where you can complete loads of different modules like the cycle of inactivity and understanding its impact on you. He also referred me to a course the surgery runs to help people deal with chronic health problems and I think the NHS generally runs an expert patient programme. Think if we can be tooled up best we can to deal with our condition. It really does impact on you emotionally. Best of luck and hope you get the support you need.
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Hi polly i think we concentrate on our bodys that gets all our attention. The medical proffesion concentrate on our bodys. Nobody thinks what efffect it has on our minds. How we are feeling this gets pushed aside. Now your body is stabalized and you are pain free you mind your emotions are not ok and deppression hits. Its time now to get that sorted. Are there any confidance building courses or anxiety management courses in your area? I am going though exactly the same as you and i am doing these type of courses and they are helping big time. Also get support off your friends i have had loads of my family and friends. I have really found how good people can be. This forum is a good place loads of people suffer deppression it is nothing to be ashamed or guilty about loads of people have it. You will get though this dont give up its a long road to go on but you will get though it take on day at a time set small achiveable goals and you will progress trust me. all the best on this joanne
    Joanne
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm so sorry that you are still depressed, I hope it will ease of and go, have you had any councilling? If things don't get better for you, discuss how you feel with you gP.

It may also be a sense of anti-climax, that we all get when something we want badly comes along, you just need time to ajust, maybe. Love Sue
  • polly24
    polly24 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm so sorry that you are still depressed, I hope it will ease of and go, have you had any councilling? If things don't get better for you, discuss how you feel with you gP.

It may also be a sense of anti-climax, that we all get when something we want badly comes along, you just need time to ajust, maybe. Love Sue
    thanks everyone am a little better did not like the way i was feeling so thank you all for the advice and yes i will take on board what u have all said its has been a shock to be too be not in pain i am just not use to it have an appointment with my gp on monday as have also just lost my best friend to the big c so i think now its time to get some help cant do it on my owen talk you all soon love polly
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi polly

You are grieving not only for your best friend but also your arhtritis, it has been such a big part of your life and now it's not there. You will adjust in time, it's great that the enbrel has worked and so quickly.

Unfortunately, enbrel is not working for me, so I feel very jealous of you but also understand your grief.

Janie