Just home from seeing the rheumatologist!

Options
karenjane
karenjane Member Posts: 90
edited 1. Feb 2010, 06:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All - Well I've just got back from my first appointment and he said that all my joints are inflamed (I have hardley any movement in my big toe today) so a type of inflamitory arthritis??.. He said that it could just go away on its own or develop into something worse. He's given me Diclofenic to take daily and i'm to go back to him in 3 months. Has anyone else had something like this?

Many thanks

Karen

x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Karen
    That can be about right - I hope the diclos work for you.

When you go back in three months if it hasn't gone he should be thinkiong about different meds. Some are cautious about the meds for inflamatory arthritis as they are quite powerful.

I do hope you are not in too much pain in the meantime. You GP can help with strong painkillers if you need them.
    Love

Toni x
  • rosyred
    rosyred Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I also take that 3 times a day when i need them..

they do help calm the fare up down.

Hope ur not in to much pain .. wish sometimes i could reach out and hug the ppl how are in pain ...

Here is a cyber hug just for u ((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))
  • karenjane
    Options
    Thank you Toni and Rosi - Hurt a bit this afternoon as he pulled me around quite a lot, wrist and toes hurt!.. I was just a little confused when he said it could develop into something else or go away - is this quite common?..

Thanks again

Karen xx
  • milmandy
    milmandy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    karenjane wrote:
    Thank you Toni and Rosi - Hurt a bit this afternoon as he pulled me around quite a lot, wrist and toes hurt!.. I was just a little confused when he said it could develop into something else or go away - is this quite common?..

Thanks again

Karen xx
    I think it's because Arthritis is difficult to diagnose as there as so many types..he thinks it is IA which will hopefully burn itself out but it could be another sort and time will tell. Meanwhile hope the meds help and that you soon feel better from teh process of examination. SOunds as if you got a listening ear though which is half the battle! All best
  • karenjane
    Options
    Thanks Milmandy - Yes he was though - and he did listen - Well lets hope it burns itself out! :) - I've taken one of the pills so hopefully will feel better soon!

Karen
    x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I have inflammatory arthritis and my consultant was cautious about diagnosis as I tested negative for rheumatoid factor. He put me on steroids as I can't tolerate anti-inflammatories. It takes a while to get a proper diagonsis if you are not +RF. The protocol is to get you on disease modifying drugs within three months if it is inflammatory (my rheummy told me this) but he was cautious with me as he hoped it would go. Sadly it didn't. Have you got a drug to protect your stomach if you are on Diclofenac? Ask your gp if you need one. Also, if you get into more trouble with your joints, don't wait for the next appointment, call your rheummy and tell him. Hope it goes away in your case.
    Sally
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    @r to pin down exactly. It can take a while for the rheummys to come up with the answers you need. At least you are in the system and have been referred to rheumatology now, and will be able to follow things through. Hope you soon find the answers. Love Sue
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Good advice Sally. Karen If you are in pain in the next 3 months make sure you contact them.Dont suffer in silence.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • karenjane
    Options
    Thank you for your replys - He did say to contact my GP if i had stomach problems with the tablets or if it got worse. At least i have a follow up appointment so thats good. Still cant bend my toe and had very swollen fingers last night on my left hand but ok today!.. I'm going to continue to keep a diary and see how i go.

Thanks again

Karen
    x