septic arthritis

2»

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello helpline and other peeps!

Just discharged from hospital this morning and really glad to be back home!!

Had the wrist joint 'cleaned out' of infected debris (horrible term) under general anaesthetic on Tuesday last, and been on iv antibiotics since; home on mega oral antibiotics today which I've to continue taking for a minimum of 6 weeks. Will have to have the wrist checked out after that to make sure no probs.

.... a BIG THANK YOU from me to all of you for your support and good wishes; it's lovely to feel so much part of the forum 'family' and I felt quite tear..y after reading your messages. I missed you all xxxx and am looking forward to catching up!
    lol
    Irisx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Hello Iris
    So pleased you're back home & hope you're feeling better after your nasty experiences.
    Take it easy on all those antibiotics and enjoy your convalescence.
    All the best
    Val & the Team
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Iris,
    It is lovely to see you back, hope you feel much better very soon.
    You take care
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dorcas
    edited 8. Feb 2010, 15:49
    thanks helpline for the welcome back message!

thanks so much Barbara!

great to be home and feeling better. Iris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Iris :D

Have been so worried. Am so glad you are back at home and hope you soon feel much better.
    Am sure you will sleep so much better in your own bed. Take care of yourself.
    Chris xx
  • dorcas
    chris7 wrote:
    Iris :D

Have been so worried. Am so glad you are back at home and hope you soon feel much better.
    Am sure you will sleep so much better in your own bed. Take care of yourself.
    Chris xx

thanks Chris for all your thoughtfulness and support !
    I've been warned to rest.....so am following docs instructions and having an early night....
    and you're right... I am looking forward to my own comfy bed! Irisx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi Iris, glad you are back home and have had the treatment you needed. I didn't post before as I was so worried about you and didn't want to convey that!
    Sally x
  • dorcas
    sally36 wrote:
    hi Iris, glad you are back home and have had the treatment you needed. I didn't post before as I was so worried about you and didn't want to convey that!
    Sally x

Hi Sally!you are lovely to have worried about me and thanks for being so thoughtful and kind!

I am glad to be home but after the initial euphoria am now having to coming to terms with the impact the septic arthritis has had on my wrist; the infection has caused more irreversible joint damage and I can't use it at all now, even with splints...and it is so painful still!.
    I saw the OT yesterday (hand therapist) and she said that the wrist is also fusing itself and that she can do no more to help.

I also had to cancel my driving assessment (for steering adaptations) as I just can't drive at all now and this is going to effect my return to work.
    The good thing is that the 'problem' wrist is due for a total wrist replacement this year and I've been in touch with the Orthopaedic Con and had my appointment brought forward to 9th March.

I apologise for moaning and taking up helpline space...just feeling bit sorry for myself and worried about it all...Irisx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Dear Iris, of course you're worried, don't be apologising for anything. We are all anxious for you and want to be here for you in any way we can.
    You've been through so much and now to find that you can't use your wrist at all must surely be very hard to take. However it's good news that you have your appointment brought forward and hopefully when you've had your op you will be able to regain a good bit of use of your wrist. Hopefully the time will pass quickly for you. Meanwhile take good care of yourself and get as much rest as you can.
    bye for now, big hugs
    rita