Unbelievable

Options
zechariah
zechariah Member Posts: 222
edited 30. Jan 2010, 02:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

As you all may be aware, one of the worse things about illness/disability is having people disbelieve that you are ill!

I served for many years in the Catholic Church as Pastoral assistant,
I now use a wheelchair and suffer chronic pain.
In a meeting with the Priest today he asked about a pic in one of my facebook albums of my knee all stapled up after mosaicplasty!
He didn't believe that that was my knee and that I was really unable to walk very far, I said what was I meant to do drop my trousers to prove it?
"Yes please" was the answer!
I dropped them and showed him the scar and the muscle wastage.

How strange, it really hurt aswell to be disbelieved in a place where I thought I had full support.

Comments

• annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That is a horrible experience and from someone who is trained to be caring and understanding. I hope you told him how upset you were?

Anne
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    That's horrid! Bet you felt like kicking him but it would probably hurt you more than him!

Sorry you had to experience that. Its surprising where thoughtlessness and ignorance over these sort of issues resides.
  • rosyred
    rosyred Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Im so sorry . how alful for you to be put thro that..

Im speech less,

I hope u can forgive him and move on from this.

Lots of hugs Oh and i hope u had clean knickers on lol.. ( KIDDING )

CHIN UP SMALL MINDED PPL COMES TO MIND NOW XXX
  • zechariah
    Options
    I told him sometime ago that I forgave him for all that he was putting me through, I think it upset him as he went a funny colour!

I did have clean undies on!

what chance do we stand when Clergy behave like this?
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Hi Zaceriah,

Sorry to hear about your awful experience.

Im Catholic and have not been through that however 23 years ago my eldest son was stillborn so I called a priest and asked if a prayer could be said and to my disgust, amazement the priest replied ......."Do you not think that your son died because of your sins?" In tears I put the phone down and was unable to enter a church for over 10 years. :cry:

Glad you had clean pants ! x

Regards,
    Eve
  • zechariah
    Options
    That is just so nasty and disgusting.

Having to go through all the emotions of giving birth to your still born child and when you turn to the Church...wow...I hope that Priest came to realise his disgusting mistake and it haunted him!

These people in a position of trust and care, although the majority are good people, really need to wake up!

I am so sorry that in your time of grief that you had to deal with that, I hope you realise in your heart that your son was loved by God so much!

that has really moved me, you are amazing to be able to speak about it!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    What a dreadful thing for him to do. I'd write to the Bishop and complain about him.
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Thank you so much Zechariah, that is ones of the nicest and comforting thing someone has said to me in many many years.

I would agree some people abuse their power and trust we put in them and they are in the minority. Unfortunately I have experienced same and worse from other professional but too private to discuss in here. Im now receiving psycho-therapy to deal with my past.

My youngest son also died 15 years ago and I was able to get him urgently baptised in hospital at the Special Care Unit for babies. My faith is still strong and love God.

Once again thank you for your very warm and comforting words xxxx

Eve

zechariah wrote:
    That is just so nasty and disgusting.

I am so sorry that in your time of grief that you had to deal with that, I hope you realise in your heart that your son was loved by God so much!

that has really moved me, you are amazing to be able to speak about it!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    what is it to do with him any way does he have to see god to belive???? well you should not have lowered your self to show him your knee. he should be reported he obviously in wrong job and just think of the others he might cause to feel worthless by his actions next time you see him i think you should tell him he was out of line and should think before he speaks .
    val