e readers

jordan7j
jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
edited 31. Jan 2010, 14:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone, does anyone own one of these? I have been looking at them on the internet, there are various makes and models, can be a bit pricey too.
I find holding a book for a short time makes my hands really ache, and cant get into a book for long without putting it down.
These do look like a good idea, they hold a large number of novels etc Just wondering if they are worth the price. Any ideas anyone? Thanks Jay x

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Jay, you can get lots of stands to hold a book in front of you - I find a cook book stand very useful for ordinary books.

Annie
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jay sorry I just popped back to change this as had called you jordan.

You are right they can be pricey but are so portable. If you have a local Water****** book shop they should have a demonstration model for you to play with. If you can cope with reading on a small screen they are brill, though you can adjust print size too. Mark your page/place etc and read several titles all at once. Very clever to see one in action. Does need to be charged up but lasts a couple of weeks I think.

They come with lots of titles already on but you can download new books easily enough and they will be generally cheaper than hard copies too as no print runs to fund. Thousands of titles are being added every month now.

I was horrified when they initially came out as nothing beats a real book in your hands but am slowly being converted why struggle to carry books when this little gadget can carry 500!!

Also great for students to download onto and not have to cart about thick study books, you can even make notes on the pages and delete them later.

For me they will never replace a real book but would love one for those train journey, holidays and when I am struggling to carry things. Do pm me if you think I can help, I work for the above store and their website and others will have all the info but you really need to see one to be sure.
    Chris
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I don't think I could be without a proper book. I read very quickly and if I understand it correctly I'd be constantly fiddling about with a gadget to keep up with myself..............I'll stick to real books for the moment.

Annie
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Thanks everyone, another reason I was thinking of getting one is that my husband, (who isnt a reader!) complains about the amount of books we have, and room to store them.
    I do belong to the library, but ours is a bus ride away, and someti mes its too much to get there.
    Will carry on looking, and it may be a good idea, then I can have lots of books without him complaining!!
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    If you actually want to 'read' books then an ereader is a good idea. Try downloading an audio book and read it on a computer to become used to the style of layout and reading from a screen. Text files can also be loaded on to most laptops. The alternative is to buy an audio book CD and convert the files on a computer to mp3 or wma which will load onto most mp3 players or mobile phones with earphones.

Whatever happens, go and take a look at what is available before you commit.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif