Pet food

oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 1. Feb 2010, 11:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Whilst surfing the internet like we do!....i came across information about pet food. Its very interesting. Some preservatives used are ones banned in human food and carcegenic (i cant spell or remember things today!!). Also some which are big brands you assume as good contain a load of rubbish that e.g dogs cannot process but used as fillers. Some contain only 4% meat whilst others, which work out the same price, contain 60% meat and meat you know what it is.........amazing...............
I know some may think well they are only animals but you would assume pet food from a big brand was trust worthy.....some pet food contains some disgusting things.........
food for thought!

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My cat hated tinned catfood now I know why!Thanks for this info Oneday
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    tkachev wrote:
    My cat hated tinned catfood now I know why!Thanks for this info Oneday
    Elizabeth

Im sure no pet owner would knowingly feed some of the food available if they understood exactly what was in it........some info is too gory and unbelievable to put but it isnt nice.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey Oneday - are you allowed to say which?? i don't want to take anyrisks with Daisy's health...

Love

Toni xx
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Hi Oneday,

If you can leave a link to the article, that should be Ok (we will check it out), but please don't name the petfoods - could be libellous??

Jean123 (forum supervisor)
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    I work 3 Cocker Spaniels.........And I do mean work....

Through the shooting season, they knock their socks off for me....

They are fit, active, with shiney coats.....

Their teeth are clean....with no amount of plaque etc....

So what do I feed them on???

The cheapest 'all in one', dry food from my local Tack & Feed Store.....

Its their own brand...........well actually it the same as other stores who sell their own brand......All made by same company.......just gets 'your' label on it.....

And it contains 'Green Lipped Mussle'......wow I hear you say.....

Correct.........I've no idea what on earth that is either......From New Zealand I believe

I've looked at all of that type of dog food......and the one I use, has everything my dogs need to remain fit and active.....

It has no 'nasty' fillers like some of the expensive rubbish sold....

Ar! I hear you say........"but my dog will only eat 'so and so'..."

I can assure you it will eat anything if its hungry...

My daughter in laws mother...or should that be my sons mother in law???...has a 'rat on stilts'.....well some horrible little 'thing'..

And it will only eat the most expensive dog food available.....

I tried to point out it would eat anything if it was hungry enough (and not nearly twice the weight it should be)...

Oh well I was told..............yer but your dogs are working dogs!!!
    They're different???

That seemed to be her defence.............Personally I haven't any idea what she meant.....but she had that smug, self satisified look.....so she must have been right....

When you buy animal food..........look at the label........Not the one that says who the manufacturer is......the one with the analysis of contents......Protein, Fat, Oil.......and see what the protein is made up of.......

Remember expensive isn't a guarentee of quality....

Rob x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I agree with you here Robertis

We use to just feed our dog in the evening - Dry food.

I tried to give it a very expensive dried food made near here and he wouldn't touch it.

He would have half a tin of dog food, or one of those vacuum packed dog food you can get, he loved them

Shelties are also working dogs, will walk for miles and run.
    He lived to 17 years old.

Joy
  • oneday
    frogmorton wrote:
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey Oneday - are you allowed to say which?? i don't want to take anyrisks with Daisy's health...

Love

Toni xx

from what i have been coming across alot of the big brands...there are some sites like pet food reviews that say alot. have a look on your pets food, does it say for e.g. bha which is a preservative, does it say e.g turkey or turkey meal as turkeycould be any bits wheras meal is proper turkey. some big pet food companies test on animals but not in a way of giving them a nice bowl of food as you may imagine but letting some be underfed to tsee the effects.
    i looked at pet food reviews and anaylsis. if you do a search you get loads. can pm if you like?
  • oneday
    jean123 wrote:
    Hi Oneday,

If you can leave a link to the article, that should be Ok (we will check it out), but please don't name the petfoods - could be libellous??

Jean123 (forum supervisor)

Hi
    no, i wouldnt mention the companies but i was surprised. Regarding a link i have read that much i cannot remember. If anyone searches with details like natural pet food, or pet food reviews or pet food analysis all sites and newspaper articles come up. Also picking up a couple of products and comparing labels.
  • oneday
    robertls wrote:
    I work 3 Cocker Spaniels.........And I do mean work....

Through the shooting season, they knock their socks off for me....

They are fit, active, with shiney coats.....

Their teeth are clean....with no amount of plaque etc....

So what do I feed them on???

The cheapest 'all in one', dry food from my local Tack & Feed Store.....

Its their own brand...........well actually it the same as other stores who sell their own brand......All made by same company.......just gets 'your' label on it.....

And it contains 'Green Lipped Mussle'......wow I hear you say.....

Correct.........I've no idea what on earth that is either......From New Zealand I believe

I've looked at all of that type of dog food......and the one I use, has everything my dogs need to remain fit and active.....

It has no 'nasty' fillers like some of the expensive rubbish sold....

Ar! I hear you say........"but my dog will only eat 'so and so'..."

I can assure you it will eat anything if its hungry...

My daughter in laws mother...or should that be my sons mother in law???...has a 'rat on stilts'.....well some horrible little 'thing'..

And it will only eat the most expensive dog food available.....

I tried to point out it would eat anything if it was hungry enough (and not nearly twice the weight it should be)...

Oh well I was told..............yer but your dogs are working dogs!!!
    They're different???

That seemed to be her defence.............Personally I haven't any idea what she meant.....but she had that smug, self satisified look.....so she must have been right....

When you buy animal food..........look at the label........Not the one that says who the manufacturer is......the one with the analysis of contents......Protein, Fat, Oil.......and see what the protein is made up of.......

Remember expensive isn't a guarentee of quality....

Rob x a045.gif

I have come across an own branded pet shop one which has ingredients which are hypoallergenic, no nasties things etc and priced the same as bigger brands with no so good ingredients.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    A freind of ours had real trouble with their border terrier they found out it was the stomach and gut were being ulcerated by the large amount of salt in the dogs food,they use to give the dog Caesar but the vet told them it had 16 time the salt level the dog needed, he advised they feed it on Chappy, dog's fine now!.