Anti TNF's

Options
nuttynana
nuttynana Member Posts: 44
:cry:
Hi - I am feeling pretty down at the present and just want some advice. Have had RA for about 10 years - I am 49, currently on several meds plus methotrexate which I inject weekly, and have been on Humira. This is my 2nd TNF, previously on Enbrel, but this was stopped and re-challenged due to stomache problems, which when re-challenged were obvious again (so annoying as RA was pretty good whilst on Enbrel and I actually had energy!!). Had Enbrel from Jan 09 - Apr/May09, then commenced on Humira in July 09 - didn't feel so energetic on this, but ECR CRP results showed it was effective and didn't have to take much time off work, but.... Started feeling under the weather before Christmas and put it down to a slight cold, but just not picked up and have slowly got worse, to the point where I was having to leave work early due to fatigue... now been signed off by GP for 2 weeks and GP who has been brilliant, has contacted my rhuematologist who has recommended I suspend it and then go through a re-challenge. Got to see the Rhuemy next week!! Not sure I want a re-challenge - work will not be understandable if I need to take yet more time off? Do I try the 3rd line of TNF and have a trail of the infusions??? Really at a loss to know what to do - just really don't know what is going to be best, and just want to feel well!!! Any adice??

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you get lots of help & support from it. We are here for the ups and downs of living with long term conditions and we do understand the downs.
    You have a big decision to make at your rheumy appointment next week so plan for it carefully. He has suggested a re-challenge which you have been through before so you know what to expect and how you were then. As well as the one remaining anti TNF there is the newer drug Rituximab. Would he consider this as a treatment option? The decision is going to be yours so get as much information as you can to help you make the one which is right for you.
    I don't know what kind of work you do but I would encourage you to consider your health before your work. If you are sick, you are sick, your employer has responsibilities and you have rights under the Disability Discrimination Act. Our booklet 'Working with Arthritis' has info on this
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Workindependence
    If you want to talk things through with one of us here on the Helpline please do ring us on the freephone number.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • nuttynana
    nuttynana Member Posts: 44
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Val

Many thanks for your advice, it helps when others understand. I am a Social Worker and have recently started a new post which entails lots of developing ideas - it links with the Governments Stroke Strategy. I would hope they would be understanding, I have worked for the Council for 10 years! Have had a few issues over the years...

Thank you again - I will be using the forums in the future.

Hazel

quote="helpline_team"]Hi
    Welcome to the forum and I hope you get lots of help & support from it. We are here for the ups and downs of living with long term conditions and we do understand the downs.
    You have a big decision to make at your rheumy appointment next week so plan for it carefully. He has suggested a re-challenge which you have been through before so you know what to expect and how you were then. As well as the one remaining anti TNF there is the newer drug Rituximab. Would he consider this as a treatment option? The decision is going to be yours so get as much information as you can to help you make the one which is right for you.
    I don't know what kind of work you do but I would encourage you to consider your health before your work. If you are sick, you are sick, your employer has responsibilities and you have rights under the Disability Discrimination Act. Our booklet 'Working with Arthritis' has info on this
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Workindependence
    If you want to talk things through with one of us here on the Helpline please do ring us on the freephone number.
    Best wishes
    Val[/quote]